Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2006, 03:16 PM   #1

I currently have DishNetwork and use it with a KVH L2 In motion Satellite system.
I think it is a single LNB unit....because if I am watching programming on 119 sat and want to switch to 110 satellite, I have to reposition the system.

Am wanting to switch to Direct TV so I do not have to switch satellites to get all of the programming.

What I am looking to lease/purchase

1. A receiver that is compatible with my KVH,
2. That will allow the front TV and rear TV
to display two different programs
simultaneously

3. Has the capability of recording progrms
that are not being displayed.

I understand there is some sort of
multiplexer that I must purchase in order to accomplish this.

There seems to be a couple different receivers that are available. R-15 and D-10.

I have been into a DirectTV dealer and he was not confident he could do everything I want within the RV environment...especially with the KVH unit. The dealer offered only one receiver and I do not remember which one.

I would like to find a RV friendly dealer of Direct equipment that knows and understands the RV environment and can do the install expertly. I am not ready for a "I think I can do it" dealer.

We fulltime so do not need an installation at a home.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Dexter
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2006, 03:16 PM   #2

I currently have DishNetwork and use it with a KVH L2 In motion Satellite system.
I think it is a single LNB unit....because if I am watching programming on 119 sat and want to switch to 110 satellite, I have to reposition the system.

Am wanting to switch to Direct TV so I do not have to switch satellites to get all of the programming.

What I am looking to lease/purchase

1. A receiver that is compatible with my KVH,
2. That will allow the front TV and rear TV
to display two different programs
simultaneously

3. Has the capability of recording progrms
that are not being displayed.

I understand there is some sort of
multiplexer that I must purchase in order to accomplish this.

There seems to be a couple different receivers that are available. R-15 and D-10.

I have been into a DirectTV dealer and he was not confident he could do everything I want within the RV environment...especially with the KVH unit. The dealer offered only one receiver and I do not remember which one.

I would like to find a RV friendly dealer of Direct equipment that knows and understands the RV environment and can do the install expertly. I am not ready for a "I think I can do it" dealer.

We fulltime so do not need an installation at a home.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Dexter
Old 08-30-2006, 06:45 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Dexter,
I havew a KVH L3 in motion dish and Direct TV with two receivers. One receiver is for the front TV and one is for the rear bedroom TV. My recommendation is:
1. Call Direct TV and tell them you have a coach and want one receiver that records shows and the other receiver for just viewing. Direct TV has a deal going on all the time and recently had a deal for RVers.

To get the front and rear TVs to show different Direct TV programs you will need to purchase a Satellite Splitter/Combiner. This is not just a signal splitter. It is a special kind of "combiner" that rotates the Satellite signal 90 degrees so it can get through the same cable as the other signals. I got mine at Radio Shack. The part number is 16-2567. Two are needed and they are about $30. each. You'll also need some short Satellite TV quality cables (4 should do). The length depends on your coach's layout. For me they were 18" long.

I need to know what or if you have a distribution box in your coach for all the A/V stuff. Only then can I recommend how to install the Combiners.

This will all you to place one receiver on each TV and watch programs independent of the other TV.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:02 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you want to record one thing while watching another, you'll have to have a dual lnb. If you use a multiswitch with only one feed from the lnb both recievers will have to watch either even or odd transponders but not both. Let me clarify. If one reciever is watching an even transponder the second reciever would also have to watch an even transponder. With a dual lnb, either reciever can watch even or odd.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:03 AM   #5

dextery,
I had the KVH L2 system installed on my 2004 DSDP 2 years ago. There are 2 separate feeds coming down from the dome. I have 2 sat. recs. in the overhead cabinet aft of the front door. I have them stacked on top of my DVD player and the surround sound rec. We use a $45 Rf system we got from Radio Shack to work one of the recs. from the bedroom.
One of the recs is set as sat. and the other as aux. I can watch either rec. from the living room or the bedroom, but can only change channels from the BR on the rec that has the RF hooked to it.
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:29 AM   #6

Thanks for your responses.

I have a Winegard Model VS-0504/6412 Amplified Video Distribution Switch.

In looking at the cabinet that has the DVD player and sound system, coming down are two
coax gray cables from the roof. This must mean I have a dual LNB in the L2.

I have read that TIVO capabilites from DTV has been discontinued and is no longer available, is this correct?

I am currently in Nova Scotia and will be back in the states the 15th and will call them upon return.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:40 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have TiVo service now, it seems that Directv will support those customers until they finally switch over to their own system. I've had 4 TiVo recievers go belly up and have asked to be upgraded to a r15 but they won't do it without signing a 2 year commitment. I won't so they keep replacing my TiVo reciever.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 05:24 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
The distribution box you have is similar to mine. The DTV receivers you get will be different than mine (mine are old). These steps should provide the general idea, but may not match exactly the parts you receive.
For the front TV:
1F. Leave the front TV connected to the distribution box.
2F. Take the SAT in lead to the front TV from the distribution box and connect it to the DTV receiver SAT in connection.
3F. Connect the DTV receiver SAT To TV connection to the SAT In connection on the distribution box. (The same connection you used in step #2).
For The Rear TV
1R. In the front, look for the cable that comes out of the distribution box to the rear TV. Remove it and connect to the To TV connection on the Radio Shack part in my previous post.
2R. Remove the SAT cable from the rear TV connection of the distribution box and connect it to the SAT connection on the Radio Shack part. Important:This should be the 2nd SAT cable from the roof mounted dish. It may or may not be connected to the distribution box.
3R. Find the distribution box connection (out to rear TV) you used in step 1R and connect it to the ANT connection on the Radio Shack part.
4R. In the rear, find where the single cable comes out of the wall. Connect the wall outlet to the To TV connection on the 2nd Radio Shack part.
5R. Connect the TV/Ant lead on the Radio Shack part to the Ant IN connection on DTV receiver.
6R. Connect the SAT lead on the Radio Shack part to the SAT In connection on the DTV receiver.
7R. Connect the DTV receiver To TV connection to the TV.

If you want to watch DTV or Antenna on the rear TV, push the correct button on the distribution panel. The rear TV can watch any channel independent of the front TV. If you want to watch a VCR/DVD press the correct button on the distribution panel and turn off the rear DTV receiver. Once turned off the VCR/DVD picture can be seen.

I have outstanding qaulity on both TVs with the above mentioned setup.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 01:48 PM   #9

Gary,
Thanks for the very clear, thorough setup instructions. I really appeciate it.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:35 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Gary's information will work for feeding two seperate signals to two separate SATV receivers. However, if you want to record a show you'll need a DVR, rather than a standard receiver. I have two DVRs in my RV but if you only want to record on one, you can use a standard receiver for the second one.

The difference is that the DVR has a hard drive to record the program material but it also has dual inputs. If it only had one input you couldn't record one show while watching another. If you want to do this you'll need to connect a 2x4 multiswitch coming off of your KVH L2. Connect the two leads from the L2 to the multiswitch's two inputs and then you'll have 4 outputs to continue on to the receivers. If you want to run a DVR in the rear you'll need to run a second cable to that DVR. If you only want to record in the front then you can use Gary's plan for the rear receiver and just run the third output from the multiswitch to the second input on the front DVR.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote