Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2016, 12:15 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
New free streaming from AT&T

Apparently Direct TV and/or ATT (not exactly sure) is offering some free wifi. Here's the article where I found it.
AT&T has three new streaming video packages designed for the cord cutter | Android Central

Do you think this will work well for us RVers?

Here is the link posted today about it, but unfortunately it doesn't give more info than the original article. I don't have Direct TV or ATT, but willing to switch if I can get free streaming.
https://directvnow.com/?gclid=CIGw5I...wg#tv-your-way
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2016, 12:18 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is a contrary opinion... http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/29/1...ity-vs-tmobile

Hot topic alert

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:56 PM   #3

I don't see anything wrong with it. If the others want to compete than they can buy their own wireless network and invest the millions of dollars needed to offer this option. AT&T owns Directv, paid big bucks for it, and can do what they want, IMO. I've got AT&T cellphones plus Directv and find a huge advantage in being able to stream Directv data free. What's the big problem?
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:41 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Here is a contrary opinion... http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/29/1...ity-vs-tmobile

Hot topic alert
Very interesting. Thanks for the post.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:38 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
I don't know what it all means long term, but sounds like ATT has a great deal and there is some sour grapes out there.
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:09 PM   #6

I will add my 2 cents as someone who has had the service for two days. I am running it on my home DSL (not an AT&T customer) that is 12mbps down and 1mbps up. I do not have AT&T Cellular so can not comment on that aspect though if AT&T has coverage where you are this sounds like a great deal.

The first Day (Wed) i signed up at my local AT&T store. I got the 3 month prepaid plan since they give you a free apple TV when you do that. This part is a real good deal.

Wed night it was having problems. When it worked it was working great. Beautiful picture, etc. It had some real problems. Some times it would hang. Some channels were available and wen I switched back they were not available. I will call this birthing pains, but overall usable (but barely)

I tried it on my iPad and that worked best of all. Most stable and fewest problems. Tried it on the apple tv. Worked mostly good with some small hiccups. Tried it on my Amazon Firestick and it had all sorts of various issues. There is no Roku version yet but it is coming.

Thursday night I tried it again on the devices. Much better than Wed. night. Still a couple of hiccups but I watched TV for about 4 hours and no real issues. I stayed on the apple TV the whole time. I decided to give them a few days to work on the Amazon Firestick.

I would remind everyone at this point that this is a 1.0 product. It needs work but shows a lot of promise. It has no DVR functionality and no way to limit bandwidth (aka: put it into standard def). It seemed to consume between 2-5 mbps while streaming depending on the channel.

Something to watch especially if you were looking at Sling or Playstation Vue which deliver the same functionality.

Don
The conFUSEd RVer
dp226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:38 PM   #7

Good report. I read where they are working on a DVR function.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:00 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
I have AT&T and signed up for DirectvNow I paid for one month to get the fire stick for free. I have only tried using it on my cell phone worked great except for the sound. I have to figure out why I did not have sound. So I will continue with the service for now, cheaper then increasing my data plan.
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:03 AM   #9

After using the DirectTV now service some more over the weekend I will say it gets better every day. It is still a 1.0 product but it at least appears that AT&T as doing some things to fix issues that are found.

I have only used it a couple of hours a day (my normal TV usage) but the issues I had Wed. & Thurs. seem to have been resolved. The only ones I saw over the weekend were congestion issues causing the picture to freeze for a few moments. That could be caused at various spots between me and AT&T. The Amazon firestick also seemed to work much better over the weekend than it did earlier.

Don
The conFUSEd RVer
dp226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:21 AM   #10

The problem folks are ignoring is that AT&T is evidently planning on replacing satellite broadcasting with Internet. That may be fine for folks in the high population dense areas. It will not be fine for the folks who use DirectTv because satellite is the only coverage they get. That includes a lot of get away places people with RV's like to head for.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:05 AM   #11

Thanks for the info, I'm going to look these new options....
RV_Fan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
The problem folks are ignoring is that AT&T is evidently planning on replacing satellite broadcasting with Internet. That may be fine for folks in the high population dense areas. It will not be fine for the folks who use DirectTv because satellite is the only coverage they get. That includes a lot of get away places people with RV's like to head for.
Yes satellite TV will be going away as old ones die. The good news is that Facebook, Google, and others are working on low earth systems which can provide cellular, WiFi, TV , etc everywhere.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
Yes satellite TV will be going away as old ones die. The good news is that Facebook, Google, and others are working on low earth systems which can provide cellular, WiFi, TV , etc everywhere.
Broadcast television already eats a large chunk of the available radio spectrum. That leaves me wondering where they think they will get space to put in new systems. What is left for space is mostly line of sight so it works well for satellite but leaves people away from the towers still without coverage. That sounds like a downgrade in service to me. New satellites would be a better answer.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Broadcast television already eats a large chunk of the available radio spectrum. That leaves me wondering where they think they will get space to put in new systems. What is left for space is mostly line of sight so it works well for satellite but leaves people away from the towers still without coverage. That sounds like a downgrade in service to me. New satellites would be a better answer.
At $350 million per satellite and really only good for TV, the LEO units on cellular will be able to transmit and receive at a better cost. So it will be the equivelent of having cell towers spaced close enough together that the entire US will be covered. One of the proposed methods would be teathered ballons.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote