RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2020, 02:18 PM   #1

Question New Member questions about Internet

I'm a new member. I'll be working from home the rest of my life, and plan to sell my condo in the spring and buy an RV, spend winters south/southwest and summers in MI, Boston, and CO/MT.

Just getting started. I MUST have reliable, high speed, protected internet.

Before anyone goes off on the bandwagon of "your company should..." this is health care, which needs to be highly protected. I'm in HC IT, so let's not argue about it like I saw on another's post for help.

I just want to find non-city CG that have either a) Great cell service where I can buy a cell card or b) available cable or other similar internet options for purchase. I have all the equipment one could want.

Eventually, before I buy my RV (Flyfisher, so likely a trailer/truck combo), I want to hear about lessons learned.
TLee_Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2020, 04:49 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Well if you are IT then,,,,

Camp Ground with a hispeed or private available service . good luck ..

I do know a few private places in Florida and here in PA, NY, NJ that would allow a season or few month stayer to , pay to have a line installed or a hook up,, but these are places I know of from friends and just by luck,,,
anyway, some of the services with a sim card can be used as those provided to business, police, fire etc,, you may be able to afford or get a set up depending on your business and concerns..

I travel just on east coast, I run a offroad race scoring set up, transponders and go live web , doing video feeds in 2021 etc,.,, I have reseached carriers etc,, I have a plan but it is not about security and 100% up time 24/7 , I can be flexible.. and these promoters I deal with are CHEAP so I use some cheap other than ubiquiti stuff when i can for local mesh etc,, from a few hunderd acre sites in no..mans land... to a new 4000 acre site I am mapping soon..that has cable internet to a lodge... blah blah..

I am sure some vets will chime in... I am the hack my way type..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:05 PM   #3

Two RV parks we stayed at for over a month we just called the cable company they brought out a router and hooked us up.

Of course we had to pay a monthly bill.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLee_Flygirl View Post
Just getting started. I MUST have reliable, high speed, protected internet.
What's your definition of "protected"?
tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:26 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
There are campgrounds that have reliable Wifi and you can use a quality VPN service to get what you desire. You will have to do some research though. This can also be accomplished with Cellular connections but is more costly.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:52 PM   #6

Lessons learned regarding reliable internet connectivity............

Since you have an IT background you understand the need for redundancy.

I looked for something that allowed for the capability of Ethernet (DSL or cable internet), cellular service & WiFi in a single unit. Of the three, cellular will be the service most likely available & reliable.

I chose to go with a dual SIM device using Verizon & AT&T data plans. I acquired additional SIMs (lines) so I could switch out the SIM when the monthly data in the plan was consumed. I also leveraged my existing telephone plans & consume their available data.
DSL or cable internet to your RV is dependent upon the campground & the availability of an ISP to provide the service to your camp site. Would not really count on it.

Campground WiFi does not have a reputation for being adequate or reliable. Granted, there are exceptions.

Internet connectivity, of any type, can be problematic in sparsely populated areas as well as hilly, mountainous terrain.
Of the lessons learned, proximity to the source & redundancy were the most important for me.
Good luck!
lemodrop9344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:25 PM   #7

Check out this setup from a follower of Big Truck Big Rv on YouTube. Most of the stuff might not be of interest to you but he has a serious internet system that should be what you're looking for.

https://youtu.be/TZH99q5G9rc
BarefootYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootYeti View Post
Check out this setup from a follower of Big Truck Big Rv on YouTube. Most of the stuff might not be of interest to you but he has a serious internet system that should be what you're looking for.

https://youtu.be/TZH99q5G9rc
I watched that and he's done great job with all his tech stuff but just be aware that he's doing the popular trick of putting a phone SIM in a router. It's obviously working well but that setup is always one step away from the carrier doing a so called IMEI scan which would detect that he is using an unapproved device for that plan and potentially shutting it down.

I'm not really criticizing him or saying don't do it. There's not many other options for most people but it's important to realize that its not an approved use of the phone plan in the eyes of the carrier. He done the sensible thing of having two plans from different carriers for some redundancy. It's unlikely that they'll both be shut down at the same time.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:15 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Lessons learned = we have been working from our RV over the last 5 years

We move around alot - so having a hard wire internet is not an options "have not stayed in one locations for longer than a couple of mts".

If you want the best connection available - you will be likely change hardware and changing plans - our current setup is 100% different than what we started with - it is not a setup once and not touch it for the next couple of years. This site is very good at listing options if you find your current setup is not meeting your needs.

You should subscribe / review the youtube channel Mobile Internet Resource Center - they have plan reviews and if anything new comes available they will have a post about it.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC95...uvBuIHfuVo6W4Q

Redundancy - we run 3 unlimited hotspots on 2 different providers. Depending on where you go - one will likely be better than the other. This could vary widely depending on locations. Also if you are in a high snowbird area or remote - the internet can become slow at high usage times and having more than once source gives an option to get the best access.

Scan thru Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones as much as you can - someone could be doing something that could make your setup better.
Old 11-18-2020, 02:28 PM   #10

Take a look at Starlink when it goes live, probably early next year. Right now they just started select public beta testing for the northern US, with service probably coming to the southern US within the next couple of months.

see https://www.reviews.org/internet-ser...ternet-review/ for a overview of the state of Starlink as of last month (it is changing fast with over 800 satellites launched in the last 12 months)
Old 11-19-2020, 06:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike625 View Post
Redundancy - we run 3 unlimited hotspots on 2 different providers.
What sort of plan gives you an unlimited hotspot? Is that from a reseller like Nomad, OTR or similar?
Old 11-19-2020, 07:33 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranz View Post
What sort of plan gives you an unlimited hotspot? Is that from a reseller like Nomad, OTR or similar?
I have 2 Verizon - both which are no longer available. I added OTR / ATT in Jan before their issues with their plans with ATT and T-Mobile. I've not had any issues with them and it has saved us a couple of times this year in locations where Verizon was almost un-usable "under 1 meg download speed".

Keeping up to date on what options that are available and having more that one provider are the most important things I've learned. Still kick myself for missing out on the Mobley.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:52 PM   #13

We have used Verizon EVDO and it was expensive. One advantage was that the dongle we used could also be inserted into the USB port of a laptop to connect. In some places we either drove or hiked to gain enough altitude to get a signal from a tower (it is all line of sight for cellular).

We have used NordVPN for added protection (from the government) and they have servers all over the world. There are other options for USA only use.

We have had two smartphones on a Verizon voice and data plan and added a SIM for the Winegard that was installed on the roof of the RV. It is supposed to provide improved WiFi reception but I am dubious about this. In general if connecting to Wifi anywhere it was the distance to the router that determined whether a stable connection could be made.

In all our travels around the USA the best reception and most comprehensive service area was with Verizon. Anyone in a rural area knows that Verizon provides the best service with AT&T a distant second. I had AT&T cellular service when I worked for a company that forced me to do so. 8 out of 9 months I would have a gross overcharge on my account and spend time getting it corrected. Oddly enough it was always a billing error in favor of AT&T.

Another option is to use your cell phone as a mobile hotspot. This makes it easy to purchase pre-pay SIMS and use them to save quite a bit of money.
Calson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:05 PM   #14

Have a look at the posts about Visible.com

Many have good results, myself included. But also need redundancy. If going with a truck camper quite possibly the auto mfg built-in system could be leveraged.

Tags