Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2016, 03:32 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
New Verizon plans announced

I saw that Verizon just announced new plans that will be available tomorrow. Nominally more expensive, but with more data, if you switch. The interesting part is that for the larger plans there is rollover data, and free data/voice/text roaming in Canada and Mexico. Oh, and sort of unlimited data. At your data limit you can either be charged for more data, or be throttled to a lower speed, but no extra charge. For the smaller plans there is a monthly charge for rollover and free roaming. Generally a positive for me with my family plan, and plans to travel to Canada.

Not really different from AT&T/T-mobile, so sort of catch-up, but on a better network IMO.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2016, 04:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYRon View Post
Not really different from AT&T/T-mobile, so sort of catch-up, but on a better network IMO.
Earlier this year the Verizon CFO said they would never rollover data to compete, and the CEO (smugly) said 'we don't do that because... we don't have to.' Then T-Mobile ate their lunch and added over a million subs in the following six months (over double Verizon's adds), and the Verizon management found out that yes, they do have to. I could have told them that and they wouldn't even need to pay me seven figures

Except that the new plan charges their customers $5 for the privilege of not being stung for overages and raised the rate of the plans, essentially trying to offer what everyone else does but take no hit in ARPU. They did add some data but that may or not be a good deal for many people depending on their usage pattern... for the many who didn't normally use their monthly allotment the new rates are a price increase, pure and simple. I'm not sure Verizon really 'got the memo' but I guess we'll see if it stops the hemorrhaging.

Verizon does have arguably the best overall network but their advantage is shrinking rapidly. They will probably be able to sustain their significantly higher cost for a while longer but not forever. And to those who don't like the 'lesser' carriers, you can at least thank them for forcing Verizon to bring their terms of service into this century.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:31 PM   #3

Well, even with the rollover data plan, I think we will keep our current Verizon plan. It's still cheaper overall than the new plans announced today. But, if they had offered a true unlimited plan, I would have been on it like a duck on a June bug.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:38 AM   #4

I am happy with TMobile and the new band 12 expansion. Verizon can keep their overpriced plans where I am concerned. Plus the Binge On with TMobile is simply awesome. I now have a 3GB data plan for $68.60 per month and end up using less than 1.5 GB per month of data due to binge on.
Map of TMobile new band 12 (You'll need a band 12 capable device (iPhone 6S and above):

Map of T-Mobile's 700 MHz spectrum - Spectrum Gateway
Old 07-07-2016, 09:52 AM   #5

I have a data-only plan on T-Mo, $35 for 6 GB (way more than enough considering that video and audio streaming are free.) I use Google Voice for phone calls, works great. T-Mobile has been on a buildout binge over the last few years and in most areas coverage is now quite competitive... and data rolls over for a year, not a month, and I don't have to pay extra to avoid overage charges, etc. Verizon does have better coverage in some rural regions it's true, but is that worth double the price every month when I'm rarely if ever in those areas? The only reason Verizon is improving their terms of service is because subscribers have been voting with their feet and I suspect the recent changes may still be way too little to justify their pricing. If other carriers continue to improve coverage on the same trajectory I expect further concessions from Verizon down the line. Personally I would be happy to pay a reasonable premium for the rural coverage, but if Verizon thinks they can keep raising prices while competitors are dropping them even as their coverage improves then I'm kind of doubtful about the long-term survival of their pricing model.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:05 AM   #6

I left Verizon in Jan 2016, ported to straight talk on Verizon's towers, works just as good for a 3rd of the price. $45 mo for 5gb and unlimited talk and text, or the newest plan is $55 mo for 10gb, and LTE on either.

$2000 a year for a cell phone?!?! Really, WTH!

Bye bye Verizon!
Gilleshps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I went by the Verizon office yesterday to discuss the new plans. With my present plan, I keep my data at 1GB when we are not on the road, then go online and increase it just before a long trip. When we get back home I change it back to 1GB. I pay $30 for 1GB. With the new plans, the lowest available is 2GB for $35. I will still be able to change it any time, same as the old plan.

I like the new "Safety" feature. I can pay $5 per month for the safety net, and if I go over the data I have paid for then it throttles me back for the rest of the billing period with no extra overage charge. So for $5 extra I get unlimited data!

They have also added the "Carryover" feature that lets you roll over any unused date to the end of the following billing period.

Doesn't sound too bad to me. I like the Verizon network and will be staying with them for the present time!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:21 PM   #8

I recently switched over to Verizon's new 30 gig plan with the safety feature. So far so good. The safe mode is at 2g speed not great but good enough for anything other than video. Verizon will give vets/military 15% off if you ask.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:10 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
My VZ hotspot recently died. I went to the store and was told I was eligible for a free upgrade. I said neat, what you got. She said that there would be a $40 upgrade fee plus $100 for the new device which had a $50 rebate. So I ask about the free part, she had the deer in the head lights look. I had the $50 for 5 GIG plan so I said I was going to check the T Mobile which was across the parking lot. Went in wound up with 6 Gig for $35, no roaming in Canada or Mexico. I said cool, sign me up. Went back to VZ to cancel my data plan and they could care less. So far so good, it is way faster than the VZ plan
Old 07-23-2016, 07:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
... I can pay $5 per month for the safety net, and if I go over the data I have paid for then it throttles me back for the rest of the billing period with no extra overage charge. So for $5 extra I get unlimited data!
Most carriers offer a similar deal without the $5 fee. You get an "unlimited" data plan, but just the first set amount is at 4G speeds, then drops down to almost unusable 2G speed.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Went in wound up with 6 Gig for $35, no roaming in Canada or Mexico.
The T-Mobile 6 GB Simple Choice data plan does include roaming in Canada and Mexico. I just spend some time in Canada and it worked great, I had uncapped and unthrottled service everywhere.

With respect to the new Verizon plans, unless you actually needed more data the changes were a price increase pure and simple, and add to that the fact that they have the gall to think that they are doing their customers a favor by charging an extra $5 for not billing for overages when most every other carrier has provided that feature for free for some time now. They apparently think they're fooling someone I guess. They might be able to get away with that attitude for a little while longer, but as the competition heats up I expect it will be difficult for them to justify their pricing and service terms as the coverage advantage that they have banked on for so long becomes less of a differentiating factor. Remember it was only 6 months ago that their CEO and CFO proudly proclaimed that they would never allow rollover data because 'they don't have to.' And I guess they don't since they call it 'carryover' data, lol. Really kind of clownish.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:03 AM   #12

Just food for thought...We use Verizon and also have a T-Mobile phone for backup. Some places we camp, Verizon works fine with 4G but T-Mobile has no signal. When we go back more toward "civilization" for groceries, the T-Mobile phone will get a signal again.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXduo View Post
Just food for thought...We use Verizon and also have a T-Mobile phone for backup. Some places we camp, Verizon works fine with 4G but T-Mobile has no signal. When we go back more toward "civilization" for groceries, the T-Mobile phone will get a signal again.
Yep, this is a case of getting what you pay for. When I had AT&T I no signal in my house at all. Now I have VZ and have 4G. In my area you can't beat VZ for signal strength. AT&T seemed to be good as long as you were close to the interstate.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:06 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXduo View Post
I am currently in some backwoods parts of Maine where VZ is hit or miss but the T Mobile was rock solid

Tags
verizon