Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question NEW WINEGARD TRAV'LER!!! - and what XM antenna???

Well, thanks to all of you - hubby and I are getty pretty good at aiming the portable Dish 1000 and picking up HD for all three of our LCD TV's! However, we've decided to get rid of the old roof King Dome that was installed in 2003 and replace it with a brand new Winegard Trav'ler Dish 1000!! YIPPEEEE!!! I'll be taking it into Camping World on Wednesday. We would still like the option of using the portable dish in case of heavy tree cover, etc. - so we'd like opinions on how you wired the receivers, switches, etc. Any tips??? Should we use an A/B switch??

Also, we've been using our portable XM radio in the motorhome and would like to install an antenna permanently - that won't lose signal when going under trees or around mountains, etc. The current magnetic one just doesn't "cut it". What would you recommend we mount? We'll have camping world to it at the same time as the satelitte dish. We welcome any other tips or advice any of you have to offer!!! Thank you!
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I can't comment on the XM but I think you'll love the new Winegard Travlr... We dumped our old Winegard ASC2003 last year and upgraded everything to HD with the new Travlr and just love it. I too carry a portable dish and haven't yet addressed the best way to wire it... because it is amazing at how good the Travlr is at seeing "through the trees"!

Even if it looks like you are going to be pretty blocked, don't give up on it as it seeks and peaks for up to 30 minutes. Many a time I've thought that there would be no way only to find the picture come on after 20 or 30 minutes.

Enjoy it...

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:33 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question

Thank you so much! I've read so many good reviews on this dish. I feel confident it will perform well for us.

Now, if I can only figure out what to do about the XM radio antenna? I really don't want to stick one out the window all the time, or have one "glued" to the roof, etc. We'll be installing a CB radio this week (connection is already there, as well as the CB antenna), so I guess I was hoping to find something that would work for the CB AND the XM radio. Wishful thinking, huh?
Old 09-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
New RV's have a roof mounted XM\sirus radio antenna. If you self install one yourself on the roof you could route the wire into the front cabinets and down to the radio.

Might consider purchase of a dish receiver for use in the MH. Beats unhooking and moveing the house receiver back and forth.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:01 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, we had them run the wire for the roof XM antenna at the same time that they ran the wire for the new Trav'ler. NICE! No lost reception now.

Yes, we purchased a 622 and a 211 DISH receiver last year so we could permanently install both. Works well to support all three LCD's.