Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2020, 08:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemodrop9344 View Post
DOCJ has provided some good advice. Take the time to read some of his posts on this forum.

Based on my research, I went with a PEPWAVE Max Tranist CAT 18 cellular modem. I am very pleased with this unit.
One last question. What antenna setup do you have? It seems you may also be a data hog, like us. We're considering starting with Chris and Cherie's suggestion from MIRC with MobileMark 9 in 1, but would love to hear other setup.

Thank you.
TamPham is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2020, 08:04 PM   #16

Thanks for Visible and AT&T Elite tips. Great tips! We're signing up.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:01 AM   #17

Pm me if you would

If you would PM me with your phone #, I would be glad to give you a call &* share my experience & why I did what I did.

I have a Poyntang 7-1 external antennae on order.
I'm consuming over 450 GB/month from various resources. The Pepwave gives you the flexibility to do that.
lemodrop9344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:49 AM   #18
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Inquiring minds want to know why not just post it for posterity This is a big issue for most of us and adding your experience and solution to the mix would be great !
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamPham View Post
We can compromise on locations -- like stay just outside of national parks rather than inside, so as to access better cellular coverage.

But what's not negotiable is internet usage. If I can't figure this out, my husband won't be coming with us (since he has to work).
At first I was going to say getting 150 - 175 GB data per month would be impossible, but then I looked at the data I was using last year on an 8-month West Coast/Canada trip. I was probably averaging 100+ GB/mon. Because my equipment was so-so, my three data plans really made it possible: Verizon Visible, AT&T Mobley, and an old "New" Verizon 40 GB plan.

Most of my data usage came from the Mobley plan. However, AT&T coverage was not as good as Verizon, and the most dependable plan was the 40GB Verizon. Lastly, I had a portable HughesNet Gen 5 satellite Internet system. Though I only used the sat system a handful of times, it came through when there was zero cell signal -- and those places exist.

Finally, if your husband's job depends on getting 150 - 175 GB per month of data, I'd suggest he stays behind. From my experience, the only way you'll reliably get that much data is with a cable modem which some campgrounds have. But then you'd be chaining yourself to a location. No fun.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:03 PM   #20

For Inquiring Minds

I tried posting the response on line. I had keyed in a very lengthy post & when I got ready to post it, I found I had timed out. I was hoping it would have been saved as a draft............. unfortunately it was gone.
My decision process involved several compromises which I outlined in the narrative which did not post.

I don't mind sharing why I did what I did, but, after spending a good 1/2 hour or so typing it out only to find it gone. Well you get the picture.
If there is a way to keep from being timed out, I would like to know it.
If anyone is that interested, my offer still stands. PM me & I'll go through it.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:01 PM   #21

Rebuttal to stay at home

Techwriter, 1st of all I would like to commend you on your postings with regards to the HughesNet Gen5 & you internet usage analysis on your trip to Canada.
Assuming the newbie's wallet can handle the expense associated with quality equipment & appropriate data plans, I believe you are doing them a dis service to tell the husband to stay home.
Assuming he needs 200GB as month, that averages out to right around 1.2 GB's of consumption an hour (based on 2008 working hours in a year).

This is my daily usage with my Peplink - see usage attachment.

Cat 18 setup.
This data would suggest it is entirely reasonable to expect he would be able to have the access he needs with the following conditions:
  1. Good signal strength from cellular providers. Probably better east of the Mississippi than in the less populated areas of the West & Mid
    West
  2. Multiple cellular carriers.
  3. Good equipment, properly installed.
As I stated previously, I stressed my system to see what I could get. Streaming HD media to two TV's was capable on my cellular providers.

Don't miss a chance of a lifetime.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf USAGE.pdf (31.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 09-02-2020, 05:03 PM   #22

I won't read a 30-minute post..... just list the basic facts.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:26 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemodrop9344 View Post
If there is a way to keep from being timed out, I would like to know it.
Actually there is... click Preview or Go Advanced (one of those will be options below the text box) every ten mins or so. This will reset the timeout timer each time you click it. Or at the very least, if you’ve forgotten to do that highlight the entire text and copy it to your clipboard.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:36 AM   #24

Short Answer

I went with the Peplink Cat 18 for the following reasons:
  1. Lower price vs Cradlepoint & Max
    Duo Cat 12.
  2. Functionality of equipment.
  3. Compatible with existing equipment.
  4. Supposedly better (subjective) in a fixed location vs Max Duo Cat 12.
  5. Support from Mobilemusthave prior to sale.
  6. Opinion derived from my research & use of alternatives.
Would also encourage you to visit Peplink forum for user opinions on various products you might be considering.

I believe what you want can be obtained if you have reasonable expectations on availability of IOT resources (cellular & WIFI).

You will most likely need to adjust your travel so you have adequate coverage when you need to be on line.

Good luck.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:44 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
I don't need the internet, but would like that extra hour each day....
Old 09-03-2020, 10:16 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think you will find many federal parks in areas with little to zero cell service. I would not plan to have 100% cell coverage 24/7.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:03 PM   #27

Thank you for chiming in.

TechWriter and TXiceman - you may be right. Thanks for keeping our expectations realistic. We will test it out before we head out. Luckily we have several national parks/forests within a 2-3 hour drive (Ranier, Olympics, Cascades, etc) and very limited or no cellular access.

Lemondrop9344 - Thanks for bolstering my flagging confidence. Thanks for explaining your rational for Peplink CAT 18.

------

Some history:
Prior to exploring this plan, the idea was for him to stay home and work during the week and fly in to visit us during the weekend. This previous idea is 1) more costly, 2) less feasible (~4-8 hours each way travel time, decreasing number of flight routes) and 3) requires sacrificing family time. As TechWriter and TXiceman points out, we may ultimately end up here.

((And prior to this idea of weekend meetups, we very briefly considered a leave of absence for him, but unfortunately this isn't an option at this point in time.))

Current plan:
In addition to redundancies from different cellular plans, our backup plan is for my husband to book a motel room for the day when he has really senior meetings or cannot get internet. This is why we decided to tow our car (also imp in case our RV needs repairs). I know this seems pricey, but our starting point was weekly flights so this backup plan is still more affordable. And for a series of senior meeting (3 or more days), the plan is for him to fly back home for the week.

Thank you everyone for chiming in. I am off to call the folks at MobileMustHave and order our equipment.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:47 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamPham View Post
I thought we were set with our plans (we got plans from all 3 carriers). But that AT&T Elite sounds better than what we currently have for data, so I'll switch our AT&T plan to that option. We have 1 line on Verizon with Jetpack hotspot plan. And 3 lines on T-mobile (this is what we had started with). Adding that AT&T Elite will really help him out on data. He can keep that line specific for work.
Based off this information - There is a third party internet provider call OTR mobile which I've been using for 9 mts. You can contact them directly via chat on the web site. They had an ATT plan which could be better than the Elite plan. I've used 125 to close to 200 gig in a month on the plan.

Also not sure if this would help the DH - Samsung has a function call DEX - it allows a Samsung S7 or higher phone to operate like a workstation. If the things he works on have phone apps, he could use a monitor, keyboard, mouse and phone - the data would not count as hotspot.
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags