Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2009, 11:18 PM   #1

Newbie Satellite TV Questions

OK. I have read so many posts regarding satellite TV that my eyes glazed over and I have a headache. I am trying to keep it simple. Any feedback would be appreciated. Remember you need to keep it simple for my limited understanding.

I am looking at the Winegard Carryout Automatic Portable Satellite TV Antenna. This will be a system for my RV only.

1) It seems like the choice between Dish or Direct is pretty much an issue of do you like the channel packages or is there other considerations?

2) Can I use the existing TV coax connector in the utilities compartment as my point of entry for signal or do I need to run new coax?

3) I will need to add a 12V power point wherever my point of entry for the signal is.

4) Can I just go to a dealer and subscribe and get the normal hardware since I don't want the system installed in my structural residence?

Thank you for taking the time to rescue me from the glazed eyes and headache.
shastaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2009, 05:45 AM   #2

Ok....first it would seem that you don't currently have any satellite service. No problem, but having that experience at home really helps with having it in the RV.

Secondly, the satellite service will cost XX amount of dollars per month. One or both of the satellite delivery companies (Directv or Dish) allows you to suspend service....but I don't know the particulars. But if you see the "$9.99/month for 6 months" deals, remember those normally require a 2 year commitment.

To your technical questions.......

Directv is more 'RV friendly' although that is debatable sometimes. But other posts have shown Dish to be less kind when trying to use local channel (or broadcast network coverage) while on the road away from your home zip code.

Packages seem comparable....but pricing can vary depending on the satellite/cable tv wars.

You can use the existing coax connections in your coach. But quality of signal may become an issue if your coax is less than RG-6. (You won't be able to tell unless you can see your coax and read the really tiny letters on the side of the cable.) One issue for the connection on the coach is the presence of splitters. If your coach uses a splitter that is for regular tv/cable between the entry into the coach and the satellite receiver, then it won't pass the satellite signals. If you don't have a splitter or if the splitter is one that is made for satellite, then not a problem. One way to tell....if you're not getting signal through your coach coax connection, connect directly to the receiver. If no signal, you have other issues. If you do get a signal, then your splitter or splitting connection is not satellite friendly.

Don't know about the 12v. Most coaches with external entertainment centers have cigarette lighter power. Others have them in the electrical compartment.

Yes on the dealers. But you need to ask first. MOST dealers wouldn't know a RV if it was parked in their front door. Others like Camping World, RV dealerships, and mobile satellite installation companies don't have that problem.

Something else you might consider is having a company that specializes in RV satellite installations help you out. Google or Ask for 'mobile satellite tv' or 'RV satellite'. Or go to KVH, MotoSat, or Winegard websites and search for dealers near you.

I know this was long....but I hope I didn't start or compound any 'glazing' or headaches....
Old 06-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will do a summary of the differences between DISH, DirectTV HD and SD other than channel line up and price

Starting with DirecTV SD:
DirecTV SD (Standard Definition or NTSC) for most customers uses one satellite, located at 101Degrees west longitude (When we speak of satellite numbers, without letters, we are normally giving 1/3 of their physical location, the Longitude, the other 2/3's are zero degrees latitude (Over the equator) and the proper altitude for geo-sync oribit, about 1/8 light second)

Thus a dual LNB antenna (One lens or "hockey puck" 2 coax outs) can either directly run two receivers, or via a switch several receivers. This makes it the best for RVers as it is easiest to set up, VU-Cube or most Dome type rooftop antennas work very well with this type of system.

Next is DISHnetwork SD: This uses TWO birds, one at 110 and one at 119 for most customers. Now, here is the problem, to get two birds at one time you need a TWIN LNB antenna (Means 2 lenses or hockey pucks) such as the dish 500

Some dome units can change address fast enough to satisify ONE dish receiver, but if you are running duals and one of you wants a show on 110 and the other wants a show on 119.. No joy.

Dish type antennas though (Either a Motosat: Advanced Mobile Satellite Systems rooftop or a ground mounted tripod) can feed multiple receivers no problem.

DishNetwork HD uses 3 birds, See above comments

DirecHDTV uses 2 bands.. NO dome that I know of can get the 2nd band at this time so a DISH type antenna is required. Your Winegard portable wont' do the 2nd band either (They also use 3 or 5 birds, not sure as they are dumping 2 of the birds they were leasing from their competition)

So that's the basics

DirecTV standard is the simpliest choice for US customers.

Now: from here it gets complex... For example if you choose DISH and want a digital video recorder so you can record now and watch later.... You get one of the best DVR's on the market, dual inputs mean you can record two shows at one time (or watch two shows on different televisions) and dual outputs means you can WATCH one show recorded or live, while your "other" watches another, also recorded or live.

DirecTV's can record 2 at a time, but can only display one. Plus where as the DISH user interface is based on the Replay TV, (Even if TiVo sued 'em for it) Direct's R-15 is supposed to have the WORST UI in the business. (I believe it)

I will be running DVR's when I go back to Direct,,, but not Direct's (I will use external DVR's)

Dome, Dish or ground mount: NOTE: You have chosen a ground mount so you can skip this.

Domes come in 2 types, IN-motion and Stationary, why anyone would buy a stationary I don't know. They suffer from greater rain fade and lower signal strength than a dish type antenna. However.. you can get 'em that record while you drive (Why I have a dome)

Dish antennas also come in 2 types. Roof top and ground mount. They have better foul weather performance, and greater gain, they can also see (Depending on the dish) Multiple birds needed for Dish Network or HD on both services without re-pointing every channel change. This makes them much better for all but DirecTV SD.

However all roof top antennas can be blocked by the evil signal eating tree.

Thus you need a ground mount for such occasions. I recommend adding an "A/B" coax switch in the LNB line,, A goes to the Roof up ABOVE and the B goes to a connector down BELOW, either in the Basement or on a Bulkhead or in my case under the hood on the Brake master cylinder Bracket (Get the idea. A/B)

I hope his helps... I need to boiler plate this
Old 06-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Shastaron,
In addition to what Jim posted, understand where the cable TV connection goes before making any assumptions. On Some coaches the connection is directly to the video distribution box, this is good. On some coaches, the cable TV connection goes directly to each TV. This is not good (for what you are trying to do). Jim covered this when he mentioned splitters. I just wanted to say the same thing another way. I don't know if it is more or less clear, to you, now or before this post.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastaron View Post
1) It seems like the choice between Dish or Direct is pretty much an issue of do you like the channel packages or is there other considerations?
There are other considerations IF you want HD programming and are planning on signing up with DirecTV. You cannot get DirecTV HD programming with any dome. With Dish Network, you can get at least some, if not all, HD programming with a dome. If all you are interested in is SD programming, then a dome is not a problem with either service.
Quote:
2) Can I use the existing TV coax connector in the utilities compartment as my point of entry for signal or do I need to run new coax?
That depends. Is the existing TV coax connector in the utility compartment meant for cable? If so, then you probably won't be able to use it for satellite TV since it undoubtedly contains a splitter. You could remove the splitter from inline, or just run new coax.
Quote:
3) I will need to add a 12V power point wherever my point of entry for the signal is.
Yes...that's the one big difference between the Winegard Carryout and the VuQube...the VuQube gets it's power from the satellite receiver, while the Carryout requires a separate 12-volt outlet.
Quote:
4) Can I just go to a dealer and subscribe and get the normal hardware since I don't want the system installed in my structural residence?
Yes. The "normal hardware" *may* include a dish as part of the package...it really depends a great deal on what kind of dealer you use (someplace like Best Buy, that is more likely to sell a "package" or a satellite TV-only dealer, from whom you can probably buy ala carte...they may also set up your account and get your receiver up and running before leaving the store, something someplace like a Best Buy isn't likely to do).
Old 06-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #6

Also, it makes absolutely no difference whether you use and/or your coach is wired with RG-59 instead of RG-6. If you plan to run a coax cable more than 100 feet from the coach to the antenna then I might suggest that RG-6 would be helpful. Otherwise, most any coax cable will give you excellent service without concern.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:21 PM   #7

The aspirin helped with the headache. You guys helped with my confusion. The winnebago forum helped me with the wiring of the coach.

The cable connection is in the utilities compartment and is R6.

Looks like I can use my existing coax with a couple of minor modifications. I will add a 12V 5-6 Amp power point in my utilities compartment and then be able to use that as my point of connection.

I have cable at the house so I will use the SAT full time in the MH on the road and at the Ranch. I don't care that much about HD so it is not an issue. I have a small dealer in the hills who I will go talk to about going with DirectTV since it seems to work easier with the Carryout. I figure since they are used to more "unconventional installations" they may be a better shot than the folks in the big city.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why do you need 12 volts at the input? (Or are you using an antenna that needs 12 volts for pointing) A standard antenna used either 13 or 18 volts as I recall without looking, this voltage is supplied via the coax fitting by the satellite receiver, On a DirecTV standard def receiver this voltage may be changed as you change channels, since it controls the polarity of the antenna (Long technical explanation left out)

Or in plain language, 13 volt is either odd (I think) or even, 18 is the other, transponders.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #9

Winegard Carryout requires a 12 volt 5-6 amp supply at the dome.

http://www.winegard.com/carryout/index.php
Old 06-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have called Dish Network and they have said I can take a receiver out of my house and use it in the MH. What the guy could not answer is if their DUO 322 receiver would work with two TVs in the MH (1 receiver for both TVs). They did tell me I would not get the local channels while traveling and I am not going to need a DVR or HD. Just a Plain Jane standard definition 2 TV receiver. I am going to use it with the new Winegard portable dome.

Will this receiver work on both TVs? I have seen on some other forums that it will only work with the 311 receiver which is a single TV receiver, but there was some confusion of the issue.

Thank you in advance for any help y'all provide!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-28-2009, 07:02 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
They did tell me I would not get the local channels while traveling

Depends on which city you receive as your locals. I have NYC locals and received the locals, with no issues, all the way to Montanna and back. I have heard others state that other locals cannot be received out of the area.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:26 PM   #12

I am currently using my 322 dish network reciever to operate two TVs in my motorhome. You can watch different programs with the front vs. the back TV.
The antenna is the dish 500 antenna with the newer single connection LNB. Prior to this setup, I used the 322 reciever with the roof top antenna on sat. 119, but both TVs had to watch the same channel.

2002 36GD Journey DL
Robert Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:12 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
K-Star and Robert, thank you for your responses. I have one of each coming and will try both. It will be nice to get our locals when we travel next year.