Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2020, 10:51 PM   #1

Nighthawk M1

I just purchased a Netgear Nighthawk M1 mobile router with ATT service. I plan on using the router for entertainment etc.., but I will be depending on it to monitor my dog when we are away from the rig, with a wireless Blink camera and*a WiFi thermostat. Does anyone have any experience with the Nighthawk using it this way? I plan on removing the nighthawk’s battery and use a UPS (battery backup/surge protector). I was going to use the Nighthawk’s Internal battery with a WiFi enabled surge protector outlet to cycle on periodically to charge the Nighthawk’s battery, but I’ve been reading that it’s battery over heats and shuts down the router sometimes, so I think I’m better of removing its internal battery and use the UPS.

Any advice?
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2020, 06:07 AM   #2

I like the Nighthawk. It’s replaced a Mobley device in our rv. It will allow for 15 connections and we’ve got a small Pepwave Surf-on-th-Go router if we need more.
I believe when the battery is removed the wifi cuts out. (At least mine does). You may want to check that before using it as an away monitor. I’ve been powering mine from a 12v USB line, but have considered getting a Wemo plug (110V) so it could be setup on a timer to cut out charging. I just haven’t put any priority into that.
When we are driving it lives in the compartment over the passenger seat and I will remove it from there and put it into my RAM mount (for the phone) when parked. That way it gets air circulating around it. That seems to help a bit with the overheating of the battery. I also sometimes just remove the back to expose the battery rather than keep it closed up. My theory with this battery is if it goes bad I’ll just replace it so I’m not really putting a ton of effort into charge/no charge.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:48 AM   #3

The Nighthawk works great for what you want to do. I'm running two of them on my ATT account. One is at a vacation property and the other one travels with me in the RV. I've had great luck with Amcrest WiFi cameras. At the vacation property I have two outdoor and one indoor camera plus a SensiTouch wifi thermostat, and a Racio Wifi irrigation controller....all run flawlessly. In the RV for the dogs I have three Wifi cameras with one of them aimed at the indoor weather monitor. I don't know anything about Blink and I think it might be difficult to adapt a wifi thermostat to the RV systems. I leave the battery in both of them and like a previous poster stated "I will just replace the battery if it goes bad."
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:06 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We also use the nighthawk for internet in the Rv. It works great and have had no issue with having WiFi without the battery connected.

For monitoring the dog, you may want to consider the Canary security device. It has a good camera and also monitors the temperature. Because it’s also an alarm, we keep it plugged in when the RV isn’t in use. For about $100 on Amazon, it’s a good deal. Note the free service is all you need.
Old 08-16-2020, 04:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
I like the Nighthawk. It’s replaced a Mobley device in our rv. It will allow for 15 connections and we’ve got a small Pepwave Surf-on-th-Go router if we need more.
I believe when the battery is removed the wifi cuts out. (At least mine does). You may want to check that before using it as an away monitor. I’ve been powering mine from a 12v USB line, but have considered getting a Wemo plug (110V) so it could be setup on a timer to cut out charging. I just haven’t put any priority into that.
When we are driving it lives in the compartment over the passenger seat and I will remove it from there and put it into my RAM mount (for the phone) when parked. That way it gets air circulating around it. That seems to help a bit with the overheating of the battery. I also sometimes just remove the back to expose the battery rather than keep it closed up. My theory with this battery is if it goes bad I’ll just replace it so I’m not really putting a ton of effort into charge/no charge.
Thanks so much!

For controlling the outlet to the nighthawk I plan on using this device;
Gosund Smart Power Strip Work with Alexa Google Home, Smart Plug WiFi Outlets Surge Prot... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TS2GZCJ...s_api_i_1FqoFb...

I haven’t installed it yet but it has decent reviews on Amazon.

I like your suggestion on removing the case for air flow.

John
Old 08-16-2020, 04:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonMaster View Post
The Nighthawk works great for what you want to do. I'm running two of them on my ATT account. One is at a vacation property and the other one travels with me in the RV. I've had great luck with Amcrest WiFi cameras. At the vacation property I have two outdoor and one indoor camera plus a SensiTouch wifi thermostat, and a Racio Wifi irrigation controller....all run flawlessly. In the RV for the dogs I have three Wifi cameras with one of them aimed at the indoor weather monitor. I don't know anything about Blink and I think it might be difficult to adapt a wifi thermostat to the RV systems. I leave the battery in both of them and like a previous poster stated "I will just replace the battery if it goes bad."
Thank you wagon master.

You don’t have to adapt a WiFi T stat to 12V RV anymore. There are 2 new products, one is available now by micro-air ;

The EasyTouch RV Touchscreen Thermostat Control By Micro-Air, Inc.

and there’s another releasing soon from Zedly;

https://zedly.com/a-wireless-smart-thermostat-for-rv/
Old 08-16-2020, 04:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
We also use the nighthawk for internet in the Rv. It works great and have had no issue with having WiFi without the battery connected.

For monitoring the dog, you may want to consider the Canary security device. It has a good camera and also monitors the temperature. Because it’s also an alarm, we keep it plugged in when the RV isn’t in use. For about $100 on Amazon, it’s a good deal. Note the free service is all you need.
Thank you Mac Nut!

This is helpful, you have real world usage of the nighthawk exactly the way I want to use it. I went with the blink because it runs on batteries and I plan on mounting it above my bathroom door, because that location has a straight shot to the entire RV up to the front cab. And this is exactly where my dog stomps around. But the canary sounds better because of the alarm feature. What model camera do you have?

John
Old 08-16-2020, 10:25 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is the one that monitors temperature.

Canary PRO: Smart WiFi Wireless Home Security Camera + 1-Year Premium Plan ~ Built in Siren, Climate Monitor, Motion, Person Sensor, Air Quality Alerts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G5FM2JH..._21voFb277MX7W
Old 08-16-2020, 06:49 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
The Nighthawk works great. It has extenal antenna porst but I have found that the built in antenna's work just as well.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdracr39 View Post
The Nighthawk works great. It has extenal antenna porst but I have found that the built in antenna's work just as well.
Thanks, Spdracr39,

From what I’ve found researching, the The Nighthawk has 4 internal antennas and 2 external MiMo antennas ports. Everything I’ve found states to try the 4 internal antennas first, then go to the 2 external antennas,(if you have them), only when signal is week and the speeds are low. Also most of the time the externals will only improve upload speeds. This is how I plan to use it.

There is a hack on YouTube to drill 2 holes through the nighthawk’s case to access the other 2 antenna ports with a kit found on eBay, but it voids the warranty!

What device are you using with the Nighthawk?
Old 08-17-2020, 06:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthla View Post
Thank you wagon master.

You don’t have to adapt a WiFi T stat to 12V RV anymore. There are 2 new products, one is available now by micro-air ;

The EasyTouch RV Touchscreen Thermostat Control By Micro-Air, Inc.

and there’s another releasing soon from Zedly;

https://zedly.com/a-wireless-smart-thermostat-for-rv/
Thanks for the Thermostat links. I guess I haven't kept up with that particular field. The Micro-Air looks interesting. A little pricey but probably worth it.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:00 PM   #12

I use my Nighthawk with my Arlo cameras. The Nighthawk can be used as a base station for the Arlo.