Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2021, 11:15 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
No sound from Dish Hopper 3

I'm going to call Dish tech support later today but wondered if any of you have had this problem.

I'm using the HDMI output from the Dish receiver to my surround sound receiver, then another HDMI cable from the surround sound receiver to the TV. I don't have any sound when viewing live or watching a recorded program.

I know the loss of sound could be in my surround sound receiver and I have to troubleshoot it. Thought I would ask if anyone has had this problem with a Hopper 3.

Thanks in advance for any comments!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2021, 11:51 AM   #2

I have a similar issue when the A/V receiver is not on the correct position. I belong to a forum called satellite guys, helped me a great deal, yes I have Dish.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:38 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Joe.

Not sure if i can help but a bit more information needed. What dish do you have? Why i ask is in March at the FMCA rally my tailgater stopped working, i had a vip211k receiver. I got a new roof mounted dish, Traviler SK-1000 and the installer told me my home Hopper3 will work with the new dish with its hybrid LNB. Moving the hopper from home to the RV i had to do a switch test as my home dish looked at sats 72 and 61.5 while the traveler looked at 110, 119 and 129. I always forgot the procedure to do that and called my local dish dealer who is a friend of mine and they always had good advice. Give them a call and tell them Bruce with the RV recommended you. satellite dish store 386-304- 9824.

If your surround receiver is displaying "STB Refsw" you have the correct input and should get sound.
and 2012 Ford Fusion hybrid
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:50 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Do you not have sound from the surround sound system or the TV? Try running a HDMI cable direct from the satellite receiver to the TV to see if you have sound then. If you do, then the problem is with the surround sound and Dish can't help you. A female to female HDMI connector will allow you to bypass the surround sound if you can't run a cable from the receiver to the TV. I don't know if the surround sound has HDMI output, or just input so you may be trying to run through it from two input connections.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:41 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
Hi Joe.

Not sure if i can help but a bit more information needed. What dish do you have? Why i ask is in March at the FMCA rally my tailgater stopped working, i had a vip211k receiver. I got a new roof mounted dish, Traviler SK-1000 and the installer told me my home Hopper3 will work with the new dish with its hybrid LNB. Moving the hopper from home to the RV i had to do a switch test as my home dish looked at sats 72 and 61.5 while the traveler looked at 110, 119 and 129. I always forgot the procedure to do that and called my local dish dealer who is a friend of mine and they always had good advice. Give them a call and tell them Bruce with the RV recommended you. satellite dish store 386-304- 9824.

If your surround receiver is displaying "STB Refsw" you have the correct input and should get sound.
Thanks for the reply Bruce! Since the video also goes through the A/V receiver and is OK, then the throughput would have to be OK.
Old 12-02-2021, 03:15 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Do you not have sound from the surround sound system or the TV? Try running a HDMI cable direct from the satellite receiver to the TV to see if you have sound then. If you do, then the problem is with the surround sound and Dish can't help you. A female to female HDMI connector will allow you to bypass the surround sound if you can't run a cable from the receiver to the TV. I don't know if the surround sound has HDMI output, or just input so you may be trying to run through it from two input connections.
I ran an HDMI cable direct from the Dish receiver to the TV and I get sound! Then I put everything back to normal and kept checking connections and suddenly the sound came back on! Right now it's OK, and I'm not touching anything!
Old 12-02-2021, 08:49 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Things to try ...

Try pushing the RESET button on the Hopper (it's behind the door on front) , this may reset something inside of it that caused the audio problem. This will also cause the HDMI to re-sync between the Hopper and what the other end of the HDMI is hooked to.

HDMI has anti-copy handshaking and sometimes if picture or sound goes out it can be fixed by hard reset or power on / off on devices on one or both ends of the HDMI.

Go to Settings -> Audio and try turning Dolby Audio OFF. Sometimes when I have had that problem toggling it to OFF will clear it. Sometimes I can toggle it back to ON and audio still works and theoretically you get better sound with it ON if you have a compatible TV, Receiver, or Sound Bar.

Go to Settings -> Secondary Audio and make sure it's set to English. Not much chance this will change anything.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:31 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Things to try ...

Try pushing the RESET button on the Hopper (it's behind the door on front) , this may reset something inside of it that caused the audio problem. This will also cause the HDMI to re-sync between the Hopper and what the other end of the HDMI is hooked to.

HDMI has anti-copy handshaking and sometimes if picture or sound goes out it can be fixed by hard reset or power on / off on devices on one or both ends of the HDMI.

Go to Settings -> Audio and try turning Dolby Audio OFF. Sometimes when I have had that problem toggling it to OFF will clear it. Sometimes I can toggle it back to ON and audio still works and theoretically you get better sound with it ON if you have a compatible TV, Receiver, or Sound Bar.

Go to Settings -> Secondary Audio and make sure it's set to English. Not much chance this will change anything.
Thanks Randy! Right now I'm good, but I'll keep your suggestions in case I have further problems!
Old 12-03-2021, 10:38 AM   #9

Thats great and if anyone has some tips for me on Dish I will appreciate it.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:51 AM   #10

Sounds like you fixed it, but if not you could try HDMI from the Dish to the TV and then an optical cable to the receiver. That's what I do at home and in the motorhome.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:53 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Sounds like you fixed it, but if not you could try HDMI from the Dish to the TV and then an optical cable to the receiver. That's what I do at home and in the motorhome.
Thanks! I'll keep that option in mind!

Tags
dish