Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2014, 07:33 PM   #1

NOOB with SAT tv questions and WIFI too

As far as running a satellite in a toy hauler , I already have direct tv at home so should I continue with this service , do they offer RV service or is there a better or more affordable way ? what other services are available and what are they price wise? and lastly how are most of you getting wifi in the middle of nowhere campgrounds or wherever you may roam? thanks in advance
PLAYER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2014, 07:39 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Getting WiFi through cell phone (T-Mobile)

Dunno about DirectTV!
JoyalRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #3
KIX

We took a DirecTV receiver from the house several years ago. It now resides permanently in the moho. When we travel we do not get locals like when at home. You can get a separate RV account if you want to for +$.

Wifi via cell phone hot spot.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyalRV View Post
Getting WiFi through cell phone (T-Mobile)

Dunno about DirectTV!
yep I figured as much but these hot spot type deals you get through cell providers will work no matter where you are?
Old 11-27-2014, 07:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
We took a DirecTV receiver from the house several years ago. It now resides permanently in the moho. When we travel we do not get locals like when at home. You can get a separate RV account if you want to for +$.

Wifi via cell phone hot spot.
thanks, if I already have the direct tv at home iam gonna do that then since iam using it in the toy hauler I wont want or need in motion HD but I can still get the HD channels when set up at the site? all you MOHOS are outtta my league for now ha lol j/k iam a noob about to get a lowly toy hauler lol
Old 11-28-2014, 08:42 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
DirecTV is fine but not nearly as friendly/flexible as Dish Network to RVers. If you want HD, you are going to need a dish/tripod setup or a Trav'ler rooftop antenna. If your receiver is SWM3, you are going to need the equipment for that as well. Local channels will need to be OTA but you are already setup for that.

Internet is easiest with cellualr data systems. Verizon 4G coverage is probably the best, followed by AT&T. T-Mobile and Sprint are a real crap shoot for coverage. But a MiFi, possibly an external antenna, and a data plan are all you need to get internet.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAYER2 View Post
yep I figured as much but these hot spot type deals you get through cell providers will work no matter where you are?

Not everywhere.

You should check the coverage map of each provider to find out which one will work better for you.

For us, T-Mobile works for now. Verizon is more expensive but from what I read they offer great coverage.

One way or the other, a cellphone signal booster can really help. (Check out Wilson products.)
JoyalRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:38 PM   #8

we have been with Verizon for over 25 years, we have traveled across the USA many times and never lost service.. sure, there may be some out of the way CG that does not get it.. but hands down Verizon has the widest coverage of any of the cell phone providers.
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:27 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We updated our home DirectTV service and put the old receiver in the RV. I think we pay $6 per month for using the 2nd receiver.

Some places we go we can get our local channels, others not! Go figure!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:33 AM   #10

If you want HD you can either spend $2K for an automatic roof mount Traveler or RF Mogul Dish or use the same type of dish you have at home. To make it easy to use one of your existing receivers, you must duplicate your home system exactly. If you have SWM you need the proper SWM dish and power inserter. You need some sort of tripod or other mounting platform for the dish. Some have made them from PVC pipe that can be disassembled. After you get the dish components, practice setting up the dish at home until you get familiar with the process. It will save you some aggravation.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote