Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2009, 07:09 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
His plug has a standard 12V power plug in the center. Below it is a small pushbutton switch. To the right of the switch is the LED that tells you if the TV amp is on or off.

Panels can vary, on my coach the panel has a coax plug where his 12V plug is located, but yours should have something similar.

Hope this helps.
Herbdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2009, 07:51 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbdb View Post
His plug has a standard 12V power plug in the center. Below it is a small pushbutton switch. To the right of the switch is the LED that tells you if the TV amp is on or off.

Panels can vary, on my coach the panel has a coax plug where his 12V plug is located, but yours should have something similar.

Hope this helps.
I'd look to see, but our RV is in the shop, still trying to fix the cruise control. What a PIA this has turned out to be! Luckily, the dealer we bought it from (Webster City RV -- who was SUPPOSED to fix the cruise before we picked the unit up) -- is picking up the tab. (Parts alone will be almost $500, plus labor.)
JJHoneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcellu8 View Post
I heard some DTV stations cut their power by over 90%, making reception nearly impossible.
Um, why would a television station that survives on Nielson Ratings do THAT?
Old 11-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcellu8 View Post
I heard some DTV stations cut their power by over 90%, making reception nearly impossible.
You can find your local stations, their locations and power output here:
Antennapoint.com - Antenna Locator
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:28 PM   #33

Bill, love the AntennaPoint.com interface best! FYI - they seem to be reporting a few band (UHF/VHF) errors. If I bring up my local stations using the "official" FCC site the banding is not always reported correctly on AntennaPoint.com. Just an FYI to all.

I'd use the FCC site as the "bible" on freq/band but they don't give the direction as graphically as some others. The folks at AnetnnaWeb.com at least in my select cases, have accurate banding info.

Enjoy!
Old 11-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDude View Post
Bill, love the AntennaPoint.com interface best! FYI - they seem to be reporting a few band (UHF/VHF) errors. If I bring up my local stations using the "official" FCC site the banding is not always reported correctly on AntennaPoint.com. Just an FYI to all.

I'd use the FCC site as the "bible" on freq/band but they don't give the direction as graphically as some others. The folks at AnetnnaWeb.com at least in my select cases, have accurate banding info.

Enjoy!
I guess if I were in a house the FCC might work as a 'bible' but where I am currently located outside of Phoenix, some of the signals that they says should be the strongest don't even exist no matter which way I point my Wingman. I mostly want to know which way to point the antenna based upon my location and I will have to let the TV channel scan do the rest.
I do like Address once you get through the 3 screens to get to where they draw a line to show you where to point.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:41 PM   #35

Wow -- thanks to EVERYONE for the great advice. I just picked up the RV from the shop ($1000 later -- of which the dealer paid $920) where they fixed the cruise control (and anti-lock brakes, which were part of the cruise control problem), and have FINALLY had a chance to look for this "mystery antenna switch".

Sho nuff, there it is, right where you guys said it would be. I had to stand on my head to see it, because the outlet for my 12v TV is UNDERNEATH a cupboard, but flipping the little switch turns on a little red indicator light, as promised. (And TV reception improves dramatically, of course!)

I could have owned this rig for 20 years, and NEVER seen that switch. Thanks to everyone who took the time to help this newbie find his butt with both hands!
Old 11-18-2009, 05:15 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHoneck View Post
Wow -- thanks to EVERYONE for the great advice. I just picked up the RV from the shop ($1000 later -- of which the dealer paid $920) where they fixed the cruise control (and anti-lock brakes, which were part of the cruise control problem), and have FINALLY had a chance to look for this "mystery antenna switch".

Sho nuff, there it is, right where you guys said it would be. I had to stand on my head to see it, because the outlet for my 12v TV is UNDERNEATH a cupboard, but flipping the little switch turns on a little red indicator light, as promised. (And TV reception improves dramatically, of course!)

I could have owned this rig for 20 years, and NEVER seen that switch. Thanks to everyone who took the time to help this newbie find his butt with both hands!
That's what we all like to hear. Problem solved!
I remember having seen a few coaches with the switch located where you describe. It was hard for me to find and this is "what I do". Any coach owner who was not given any instructions would end up here just as you did.
Congrats on some good detective work and enjoy your TV.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:06 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
That's what we all like to hear. Problem solved!
I remember having seen a few coaches with the switch located where you describe. It was hard for me to find and this is "what I do". Any coach owner who was not given any instructions would end up here just as you did.
Congrats on some good detective work and enjoy your TV.
Thanks, Bill -- and everyone here!

Now that we've finally got everything working on the RV, it's just about time to store it for the winter. Dang, I'd love to take it out on the road for a week or three...
Old 11-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #38

Thanks for the great info, we`ve been at this RV park outside of Fairfield TX for three weeks with no TV.
Went to antennapoint.com and turned my antenna towards the closest tower and bingo five channels. I did have the booster switch on and if I shut it off lose the staitions.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #39

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
XYM: You mentioned the bare aluminum wings on the older antennas. That's what I thought until I just put a Wingman on a friends 2009 Monaco and found it has unpainted wings.. Go figure.
I would almost guess the wings are painted to match the coach.

I would also guess that when Wineguard shipped 'em. they were brushed aluminum.

However: Thanks for mentioning it as I should have thought of that up front.. Yes, the newer antennas MAY have been painted along with the rest of the coach.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:59 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I would almost guess the wings are painted to match the coach.

I would also guess that when Wineguard shipped 'em. they were brushed aluminum.

However: Thanks for mentioning it as I should have thought of that up front.. Yes, the newer antennas MAY have been painted along with the rest of the coach.
Good thing to bring up: Does painting an antenna adversely impact reception?

Also, how about corrosion? My 16-year-old antenna is fairly well covered with aluminum corrosion, whatever that darker built-up layer is called. (Bare aluminum doesn't rust, but it develops a thin "patina" of dark-colored corrosion.) Would thoroughly cleaning the aluminum antenna of this corrosion help reception, or just be a waste of time?
Old 11-21-2009, 12:24 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHoneck View Post
Good thing to bring up: Does painting an antenna adversely impact reception?

Also, how about corrosion? My 16-year-old antenna is fairly well covered with aluminum corrosion, whatever that darker built-up layer is called. (Bare aluminum doesn't rust, but it develops a thin "patina" of dark-colored corrosion.) Would thoroughly cleaning the aluminum antenna of this corrosion help reception, or just be a waste of time?
In general, no. Used to be that you needed to pay attention to the formulation to make sure it was non metallic, but a good coat of Epoxy will do the trick.

BTW- HERE is what I use to find the off-air channels. Done in less than 60 seconds..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:12 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvet View Post
Thanks for the great info, we`ve been at this RV park outside of Fairfield TX for three weeks with no TV.
Went to antennapoint.com and turned my antenna towards the closest tower and bingo five channels. I did have the booster switch on and if I shut it off lose the staitions.
Update, yesterday when I did a scan it was raining and very overcast, I did a re-scan this morning and picked up 32 channels.
It`s a Winegaurd on a 85 Winny with the booster, no channels come in without the booster on. The tower i`m pointed at is about 50 miles away and i`m parked under a lot of trees so guess it`s working pretty good .