Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2023, 12:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
Really? Can you share proof of your statement?

I walked into the corporate owned store and they set it up for me since I purchased my units from a 3rd party vendor. It is an AT&T product and I am using it 100% within their TOS. I have been using them for over 4 years now. Each router is clearly listed on my bill as to what kind of device it is.

The MF-279 and IFWA-40 are both phone services and can work as a phone if you plug in a traditional landline phone.
Okay, that's interesting. I hadn't seen those types of devices before. I've now done some reading on them. They're kind of a modem and phone service. It seems like you were lucky to get in at just the right time and place to get an unlimited plan.

It sounds like you have quite a good deal so you better hang on to it because unfortunately they're no longer available.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att...-discontinued/

The best you can get these days direct from AT&T is 100 GB for $90 per month. Yes you can get unlimited phone plans but my comments above still apply. About the only plan I know of that an ordinary consumer can get these days which is unlimited and can go in a device with external antennas is the AT&T plan from FMCA. The lack of good options is why so many resort to non-legit tricks to get lots of data at an affordable price.
tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2023, 02:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranz View Post
Okay, that's interesting. I hadn't seen those types of devices before. I've now done some reading on them. They're kind of a modem and phone service. It seems like you were lucky to get in at just the right time and place to get an unlimited plan.

It sounds like you have quite a good deal so you better hang on to it because unfortunately they're no longer available.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att...-discontinued/

The best you can get these days direct from AT&T is 100 GB for $90 per month. Yes you can get unlimited phone plans but my comments above still apply. About the only plan I know of that an ordinary consumer can get these days which is unlimited and can go in a device with external antennas is the AT&T plan from FMCA. The lack of good options is why so many resort to non-legit tricks to get lots of data at an affordable price.
I had not seen they had discontinued that option.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 07:48 AM   #17

Simply put, It Depends

Every time you go someplace it will be different. There isn't one answer.

Most who have to have a reliable connection use multiple sources of internet providers. We have a Pep Wave Router with a Verizon sim card, a AT&T sim card and recently got the Starlink RV plan. The AT&T is prepaid so I can turn it on and off as is Starlink.

So far we've been very happy with Starlink but we're in Texas so trees are not an issue, we'll find out more this summer in Colorado.

Don't forget the wonderful WIFI at RV Parks.
Old 01-22-2023, 03:15 PM   #18

Well, thanks to you all. I guess based on the answers here I will only need 3 cell phones, 2 routers a satellite dish and about 1700dollars worth of services !!!!!!!!!!! But really, thank you for the heads up. I have a lot to figure out.
mastcaptjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 04:40 PM   #19

It just depends on how reliable you need. The more reliable and the less flexible you are the higher the cost. You can easily get 90% reliability fairly inexpensive, the last 5-10% costs the most.

Again for 3 years we 1/2 time remote worked on my cellular router from a single carrier. The cost was/is $420/year for me, but apparently that plan is no longer available. The trade off was we had to limit ourselves to places AT&T worked.

I skipped the multiple cellular carriers and went to Starlink. It covers places cellular does not. While it is not 100% reliable, I would give it at least a 95%.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 01:43 PM   #20

Wi-Fi Info

Gosh, a lot of really good information here. What a difference from when we started full-timing in 2000! Then, we used HughesNet and set up coordinates wherever we went! We got pretty good and fast at it!

We seem to be leaning towards StarLink. We have decided this trying to use campground Wi_Fi, obviously not effective when we boondock () is not worth our 50-year marriage. Thank you, everyone!!
MobyDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 02:51 PM   #21

Calyx Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastcaptjim View Post
Well, thanks to you all. I guess based on the answers here I will only need 3 cell phones, 2 routers a satellite dish and about 1700dollars worth of services !!!!!!!!!!! But really, thank you for the heads up. I have a lot to figure out.
I use Calyx Institute hotspot. It is 750 the first year, and 500 for subsequent years. It is a T-mobile 5G hotspot. It has worked every where I have been. Currently I am in the Rio Grande Valley at a park and getting 150MBPS down and 40 MBPS up. Had it for almost a year and very pleased. It is unlimited and unthrottled.

Bill
bill.d.doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 03:06 PM   #22

Buy Once, Cry Once…

These guys have everything from Super Serious Work from Wherever setup’s to some fairly inexpensive setups and are also offering a monthly service that comes with the high-end equipment and also comes with varying degrees of support 24/7 where they can easily connect to your device to make adjustments.

https://thewirelesshaven.com
Old 01-26-2023, 03:11 PM   #23

I use T-Mobile home internet.
I works up and down the East coast
For $50 its a good deal
jwt2469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 03:14 PM   #24

We’ve had Starlink for about 6 months now. Used it from Michigan to Texas and in between. The rv plan was easy to get and took about 2 weeks. On the road, it takes about 10 minutes to set up or pack up. I put dishy on the roof and clamp to the ladder. The only downside is trees obstructing. Speed will slow down at peak times as we are still in a the “unavailable” area. That will hopefully change soon.

Phil and Charon
In the beautiful Texas hill country
Bigtoado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 03:17 PM   #25

We have been on the road full time for a couple of years now. For work, I have two laptops that run all day: one is for Teams Meetings and VPN to company resources. The other is VPN into AWS Cloud Workspaces. My third laptop can still stream Netflix.
Unless we're VERY remote (think Pokonos) we rarely have any problems with our Bixwireless tri-service (ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile) cellular router. We've camped from the tip of FL to Southern Maine.
john.sellars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 03:50 PM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Here are two alternatives

First, if you want to use campground internet, buy a Wi-Fi booster with an omni directional antenna and internal router, and a mast and clamps and mount it on an exterior wall of your RV high enough that the top of the antenna is not obstructed. This doesn’t have to be expensive and you don’t want something that requires a subscription. The router installs inside your RV and the cable threads into your RV through a window frame. I use an Alfa Camp Pro and it has always worked great. Of course, if your campground delivers good wi-fi as is, you won’t need to mount your antenna.

Second, subscribe to a decent phone service. Two years ago, I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile and purchased an unlimited 5G data plan. Since then, I have never been throttled and have enjoyed relatively fast internet and T-Mobile is less expensive.

If your objective is streaming you will need to look at more expensive alternatives. I have used T-Mobile a few times to stream and it worked fine but there is no guarantee this will work everywhere.
Old 01-26-2023, 03:53 PM   #27

I only saw equipment on that wireless haven site. No mention of plans that are truly unlmited
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 04:09 PM   #28

Verizon works for me

Hotspot mode on my phone.
Unlimited to maybe 10GB a month? Then it still works but slower
Good coverage in the US and Canada. Not sure about Mexico.
International coverage is another $100 a month. Have to call and set it up
jcschultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet, service