Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #1

Ordering TV from Amazon??

I'm looking at a new 32" TV that's available through Amazon, but it shows the item is sold & shipped by a TV store. Going to the TV store's web site the TV can be ordered directly from them. Both Amazon and the TV company has free shipping and the price is within a couple dollars of each other.

Question: If Amazon is not doing the selling/shipping is there any specific advantage to ordering from Amazon instead of the TV store. This is from Paul's TV which according to their web site they have several stores on the East Coast, a dozen or so in Michigan, 2-3 in the Denver area, and several on the West Coast.

And Paul's offers an extended 2-4 year warranty through Warrantech which is different from the one available when ordering through Amazon.

I do very little Internet ordering so something like this in the $400 range is a little scary. Would love to hear anyone's experience with Paul's TV or if better to do it through Amazon.

Appreciate any experience you might have here.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #2

I buy almost everything now through the web. I rarely have problems and Amazon has been great. If you pay through Amazon, even if you buy from an outside vendor through Amazon, returns and problems with the product are easily handled and there will be no difficulties. If you do pay directly with an outside vendor you take your chances and I always look carefully at their reviews before ordering. If its a straight up business, the reviews will be positive.
I have bought a lot of things from Ebay also. So far, with over 200 items purchased, I have not had a lemon or someone who doesn't ship. Im buying parts for cars but with an electronic item I would be wary from buying it from Ebay because how do they handle a warrenty problem. Electronics like flat screen tvs and DVD players amps and computers, I have had great luck with Tiger direct.
-Paul R. haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #3

As Paul has mentioned above...I do 90% of my shopping online and a good deal of that 90% is through Amazon!

I love their return policy, as it's easy to use and I've never had a problem returning and/or getting a refund for the few products I did have to return!

Even if a warranty is cheaper direct from this other source, I'd still go through Amazon, simply because I KNOW how good the "return/refund policy" is with Amazon than any other 3rd party website....no matter what they say on their own website!

RogueRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
Be very careful about buying from Amazon's Marketplace vendors. While Amazon has excellent customer service, they do not stand behind their Marketplace vendors as well, if at all, and does a poor job of screening them (guess how I know). Before buying from a Marketplace vendor, read the vendor reviews. Read the actual reviews, not just the statistics since the statistics are skewed by people who do not know the difference between a product review and a vendor review. When reading the reviews look for patterns, such as shipping wrong item, open box or used items, late delivery, no delivery, etc. Also, look for responses to bad reviews from vendors that try to shift blame back to the customer, blame all shipping problems on the carrier, make smart aleck comments, etc.

If a vendor passes muster, check to if the vendor has its own website. Often, for a small amount more (or maybe slightly higher shipping), a vendor will offer a longer warranty from its own website than through Amazon's Marketplace (Marketplace warranties are usually only 30 days).
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #5

Consider Crutchfield for electronics. Direct, no middleman. I have been dealing with them since way before Amazon was born - Many purchases, no problems. VERY GOOD tech and customer support.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
$400 for a 32"? I just bought a refurb 32" RCA (1080i, 4 HDMI inputs) from walmart.com for $219 delivered. With the high def DirecTV feed, it looks very, very good.
norwestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
wagonmaster--I am also an Amazon fan and believe their customer service to be exemplary. To me, paying a little more is worth the peace of mind. I enjoy the "Amazon Prime" service that gets me 2-day free shipping on most products.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes, most of the time online shopping is the best.

Consider this: When you buy at Costco (I know..tax) You get the manufacturers warranty....Costco's additional one year warranty.....Blue card AMEX additional year warranty.

As Mr Dirt used to say: "You can pay me now, or pay me later". JMHO

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
I buy almost everything now through the web. I rarely have problems and Amazon has been great. If you pay through Amazon, even if you buy from an outside vendor through Amazon, returns and problems with the product are easily handled and there will be no difficulties. If you do pay directly with an outside vendor you take your chances and I always look carefully at their reviews before ordering. If its a straight up business, the reviews will be positive.
I have bought a lot of things from Ebay also. So far, with over 200 items purchased, I have not had a lemon or someone who doesn't ship. Im buying parts for cars but with an electronic item I would be wary from buying it from Ebay because how do they handle a warrenty problem. Electronics like flat screen tvs and DVD players amps and computers, I have had great luck with Tiger direct.
-Paul R. haller-
2X I always try to buy through Amazon because if the product isn't what you want they will send UPS FREE to pick it up and the day it gets picked up they will refund your money. I've done it twice now with no questions asked.

I bought a tailgate through Northern tools because it was $12 less than Amazon. They shipped me the wrong tailgate. Northern tools said they didn't sell it to me (they took my money) but Stromburg Carlson did.

Stromburg Carlson said they didn't sell it to me Northern Tools did. After a month of calls and emails Northern tool said to ship it back to Stromberg on my dime ($86) and then a 20% restocking charge would be added ($80) before I could get a refund. Had I spent $12 more with Amazon all I had to do was say it wasn't the one I ordered and within a few days I would have all my money back.

Amazon is the only place I know of that does this. I too buy a ton of stuff from Ebay but it's a roll the dice type of thing. I just bought a shifter arm for my Harley that looked like steel chromed. It came and was cheap metal. The seller said "buyer beware" and would not refund my money. There is nothing I can do about it. Again, if it was Amazon I would have my money back.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I shop and sometimes find amazon with the best price and other times, I can do better.

Ken
Old 04-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #11

iRV2 No Limits Club
Again, if you are buying from Amazon itself, not a Marketplace vendor (as the OP is considering), you will receive excellent customer service if you do have a problem (which isn't likely). However, if you have a problem with one of Amazon's Marketplace vendors, Amazon will tell you to contact the vendor who may, or may not, give satisfaction. If you continue to have problems with the vendor, getting Amazon to step in is like pulling teeth. When a Marketplace vendor sold me what turned out to be a knockoff of a $200 paper cutter that failed, I eventually had to file a complaint with the BBB to get Amazon to respond to my inquiries, let alone do anything about it. I had another one send me a used DVD that was supposed to be in like new condition. The label side was heavily gouged. I kept it any way since it played just fine and was a hard to find item but gave the vendor a poor review. The vendor gave a sarcastic response to the review online then harassed me via email, trying to get me to change my review, until I filed a complaint with Amazon. Another one sold me a harddrive that was supposed to be new but was actually labeled recertified and turned out to be bad. I never did get satisfaction from that one; the vendor accused me of being a trickster. I rarely buy from Amazon's Marketplace vendors and only if they have near perfect reviews without a pattern of certain kinds of problems and/or constant excuses from the vendor when it receives a bad review.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #12

I agree with you LadyFitz. Amazon is great but be very careful when not going through them and dealing with a vendor. If the item doesn't go through amazon then I don't buy it there.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:07 AM   #13

Quote:
"...If you continue to have problems with the vendor, getting Amazon to step in is like pulling teeth...
Not as bad as getting YOUR MONEY from PayPal! Try wasting 2 months to get $2000 dollars from PayPal AFTER they've 'suspended' your account and their dumb-as-doorknob CS dept take their sweet a** time getting back to you!

RogueRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #14

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
I agree with you LadyFitz. Amazon is great but be very careful when not going through them and dealing with a vendor. If the item doesn't go through amazon then I don't buy it there.
A good clue as to what is safe to buy is to check to see if the item qualifies for free shipping on orders over $25. Only items warehoused and shipped by Amazon itself will qualify (some Marketplace vendors warehouse and/or ship their products through an Amazon warehouse and Amazon treats them as though they are their own). Anything else requires a thorough vendor reveiw check and even then, you are taking a bit of a chance.