RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2020, 10:40 AM   #1

OTR Mobile changing from AT&T to T-Mobile

I received an email that OTR is moving their service to T-Mobile. You can keep the AT&T as long as they can offer it, who knows how long that will be, but the price will be $90 a month.

Can anyone tell me their experience with T-Mobile as far as coverage and speed? I currently use Verizon the most but sometimes AT&T has a better signal or speed. They are claiming that it is better coverage and 5G will be available sooner.

I have never used T-Mobile because of coverage as I travel a lot, but I do know they are improving their coverage yearly.

Thanks all

NoDents4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2020, 03:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDents4U View Post
Can anyone tell me their experience with T-Mobile as far as coverage and speed?
Sort of.

I don't have T-Mobile service but I do keep a separate phone for navigation purposes and it is Google Fi. That plan uses T-Mobile, Sprint and Cellular One* and I use it when we travel. My normal service is Verizon and I have compared the coverage and signal strength between the two phones while on trips.

What I have found is that when there is a good signal on Verizon there generally is as good a signal or better on Google Fi. If I have 4 bars of Verizon 4G I might have 4 or 5 bars on GF.

When there is a weak signal on Verizon there is generally a slightly weaker signal on Google Fi or a strong signal at a lower service level. That is, if Verizon has 2 bars of 4G service then Google Fi might have 1 bar of 4G or 3-4 bars of 3G service.

When Verizon has no service due to remoteness in the mountains GF has no service but when Verizon has no service due to being in a rural area (say, in parts of the Texas panhandle) GF may have very good service, so it is hit and miss.

* Just to be clear, while Google Fi uses T-Mobile, Sprint and Cellular One I have found that the signal is generally 90%+ on T-Mobile so it might be of some help in answering your question.

AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 03:24 PM   #3
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I'm currently using a T-Mobile SIM obtained from OTR Mobile to replace my AT&T one. The quality of the T-Mobile connection you would have is highly dependent on where you would be using it. At my home the T-Mobile signal is quite strong, but the download speeds are primarily in the 1-2 Mbps range. Since I use that SIM in a load balancing router along with several other connections, that speed is acceptable to me.

Joel (AKA docj)
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 03:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Sort of.

I don't have T-Mobile service but I do keep a separate phone for navigation purposes and it is Google Fi. That plan uses T-Mobile, Sprint and Cellular One* and I use it when we travel. My normal service is Verizon and I have compared the coverage and signal strength between the two phones while on trips.

What I have found is that when there is a good signal on Verizon there generally is as good a signal or better on Google Fi. If I have 4 bars of Verizon 4G I might have 4 or 5 bars on GF.

When there is a weak signal on Verizon there is generally a slightly weaker signal on Google Fi or a strong signal at a lower service level. That is, if Verizon has 2 bars of 4G service then Google Fi might have 1 bar of 4G or 3-4 bars of 3G service.

When Verizon has no service due to remoteness in the mountains GF has no service but when Verizon has no service due to being in a rural area (say, in parts of the Texas panhandle) GF may have very good service, so it is hit and miss.

* Just to be clear, while Google Fi uses T-Mobile, Sprint and Cellular One I have found that the signal is generally 90%+ on T-Mobile so it might be of some help in answering your question.
Thank you

That is a help as far as coverage.
Old 03-15-2020, 04:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
I'm currently using a T-Mobile SIM obtained from OTR Mobile to replace my AT&T one. The quality of the T-Mobile connection you would have is highly dependent on where you would be using it. At my home the T-Mobile signal is quite strong, but the download speeds are primarily in the 1-2 Mbps range. Since I use that SIM in a load balancing router along with several other connections, that speed is acceptable to me.

Joel (AKA docj)
What kind of speed were you getting with AT&T? I move a lot so the signal will vary with location, and I know that. If you are only pulling 1-2 Mbps with T-Mobile that is awfully slow. I need at least 5-7 to successfully stream and that is on the low end. I usually get much better than that with the AT&T sim.
Old 03-15-2020, 04:30 PM   #6

FYSA...OTR has cancelled all “Legacy” AT&T accounts as of Sat, 14 March. Was just on chat/phone with them for 3.5hrs and manager said they came in today and was notified AT&T Legacy plan is cancelled effective immediately. They will try to re-ping the SIM and after that they offer to switch you to T-Mobile. Love that they haven’t sent out anything to customers !

With AT&T I was getting around 15-30mbs in Valdosta, GA and when we were in Panama Beach, FL I was seeing around 125mbs.

Awaiting the T-Mobile replacement SIM for my AT&T SIM.
Old 03-15-2020, 04:53 PM   #7
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDents4U View Post
What kind of speed were you getting with AT&T? I move a lot so the signal will vary with location, and I know that. If you are only pulling 1-2 Mbps with T-Mobile that is awfully slow. I need at least 5-7 to successfully stream and that is on the low end. I usually get much better than that with the AT&T sim.
My AT&T SIM usually provided ~5-10 Mbps but I can successfully stream on both YouTube TV, Netflix and Acorn with only ~1 Mbps. Sure, the picture is only 720p and sometimes just SD, but it's better than nothing IMO.

As I said previously, I am using a Load Balancing router so the T-Mobile SIM is being used alongside of a Verizon prepaid SIM. a Visible phone and the local RV park WiFi. As a result, I can pretty much stream even with each source having relatively low download speeds.
Old 03-15-2020, 06:55 PM   #8

My OTR "legacy" AT&T service has not been cancelled, but I have received 2 emails from OTR about moving to T-Mobile. At this point I am just going to see how long my current service will continue. I was quoted $80/mo not $90 as I have seen in some postings. Not sure that my Netgear AC797S can be unlocked for TM. I have been looking at Cradlepoint 850LP6 setup as well as the new Wifi Ranger equipment. In process of making transition to full time, so looking for a good functional setup. Over past 12 months had good service from OTR and combined with the hotspot my requirements were satisfied.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:03 AM   #9

We switched from ATT to T-Mobile 55+ plan back in the summer, simply for $$$ reasons. Coverage in town is great. Coverage out of town and off the highways is spotty. So we purchased an annual ATT SIM card online very inexpensively and put it in a phone not being used and we take it with us when we travel. still much less than ATT only and we get free Netflix.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Rnav View Post
My OTR "legacy" AT&T service has not been cancelled, but I have received 2 emails from OTR about moving to T-Mobile. At this point I am just going to see how long my current service will continue. I was quoted $80/mo not $90 as I have seen in some postings. Not sure that my Netgear AC797S can be unlocked for TM. I have been looking at Cradlepoint 850LP6 setup as well as the new Wifi Ranger equipment. In process of making transition to full time, so looking for a good functional setup. Over past 12 months had good service from OTR and combined with the hotspot my requirements were satisfied.

OTR told me when your “data cycle” (not billing cycle) ends, your AT&T plan will stop. You will see AT&T H on your LTE router and then there is nothing you can do.

I hope I was provided wrong info again by OTR, as I had called and verified just like yourself...then on Saturday everything stopped working which was the end of my “data cycle”.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcpl View Post
So we purchased an annual ATT SIM card online very inexpensively and put it in a phone not being used and we take it with us when we travel.
I have been thinking about switching from Verizon to AT&T since I think their coverage is pretty much the same and AT&T unlimited would cost less for us than we are currently paying. My only concern has been that I don't know how the AT&T coverage would be where we often camp and I wanted to get an AT&T SIM card to use in an extra phone to check the coverage, so your post caught my eye.

How does your annual plan work? What does it cost? How much data do you get? When I Google annual ATT SIM card all I get is the cost of the sim and no information about an annual plan. Do you have a link to post?
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:43 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBuchanan77 View Post
OTR told me when your “data cycle” (not billing cycle) ends, your AT&T plan will stop. You will see AT&T H on your LTE router and then there is nothing you can do.

I hope I was provided wrong info again by OTR, as I had called and verified just like yourself...then on Saturday everything stopped working which was the end of my “data cycle”.
Did you get an answer what the $%# "data cycle" is ?
My ATT plan renewed on Friday and is still working. Waiting for the T-Mobile SIM to arrive this week.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:38 AM   #13
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike625 View Post
Waiting for the T-Mobile SIM to arrive this week.
You can use a T-Mobile SIM that you buy at Walmart or elsewhere; you don't have to have OTR mail you one.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:22 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
You can use a T-Mobile SIM that you buy at Walmart or elsewhere; you don't have to have OTR mail you one.
Was going to pick up one local last Wed. But on the chat with OTR, they were going to sent it & had to wait for an unlock code anyway. At the current location ATT is a lot slower than the 2 Verizon hotspots - so just taking a wait and see what happens.

Always good to have internet source options