Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2014, 12:51 PM   #15

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Thanks so much to everyone who has commented; I appreciate your input very much. I have one more question regarding the whole east/west arc thing. Is it possible to be in an area where we would typically choose the western arc, but due to line-of-sight issues we'd need to choose the eastern arc instead...and would that be possible? (Just throwing that one out there...)

My last concern is with the size of the X2. I have watched a few video demos and I'm wondering if it will easily stow in a typical basement storage? Also, I read that the X2 is very touchy as to level...does that make it more difficult to set up?

Thanks again!
As for size, it is bigger than the X1. However it ships in the same size box as the original Carryout, so it should be manageable. This size issue is always important when talking about an extra thing in the basement, but just another in the series of compromises we make to be RVers...

I don't think the "level" is that critical that you have to get a 6 ft. precision level involved. Eyeball level will work pretty well. If you look at how far apart the elevation settings are on the antenna, you can see that the elevation setting is also not exceptionally critical, so being out of level is most likely not going to be a make or break point for signal acquisition. Being out of level would only mean that you may need to lean the elevation setting a little bit off of center, if you find that the signal strength is lower than normal.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2014, 01:39 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
The eastern arc / western arc thing is one of the advantages of the x2. I haven't had mine too long but have already had the occasion to switch from eastern to western to clear obstacles. As stated above the western arc will work in most of the US except the upper mid-atlantic and northeast or the lower tip of Florida. In these areas the eastern arc works well. As a side note the eastern arc is easier to use in the eastern half of Canada if you travel within 200 to 300 miles of the boarder, been there done that.

As to the level issue, I've had no problems. If it looks about level that's good enough. The big thing is to always point the handle/connectors on the x2 to the north.

As to storage it fits in the storage bay on my Phaeton, it needs about 16" of height clearance and 22" of width. It would even set in my slide tray in the bay and clear the door opening.
Thanks! Do you use the Pathway as your primary antenna or is it a spare? Does your Phaeton have a satellite input jack in the utility bay? That is one more thing we'll have to deal with...our "TV input" won't support satellite so we'll have to figure out where to run the wire. It's always something.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
As for size, it is bigger than the X1. However it ships in the same size box as the original Carryout, so it should be manageable. This size issue is always important when talking about an extra thing in the basement, but just another in the series of compromises we make to be RVers...

I don't think the "level" is that critical that you have to get a 6 ft. precision level involved. Eyeball level will work pretty well. If you look at how far apart the elevation settings are on the antenna, you can see that the elevation setting is also not exceptionally critical, so being out of level is most likely not going to be a make or break point for signal acquisition. Being out of level would only mean that you may need to lean the elevation setting a little bit off of center, if you find that the signal strength is lower than normal.
I watched the "Satellite Guys" first look at the X2 on Youtube. He mentioned the importance of level for the X2...something about 3 degrees or something. I need to go look at that again, but apparently it's not a big deal.

ETA: Here's the video; he mentions the critical leveling at 3:52...

Old 05-08-2014, 05:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Thanks! Do you use the Pathway as your primary antenna or is it a spare? Does your Phaeton have a satellite input jack in the utility bay? That is one more thing we'll have to deal with...our "TV input" won't support satellite so we'll have to figure out where to run the wire. It's always something.

Not at present, I have a Winegard Roadtrip Mission dome as the primary. However the more I use the x2 the more I like it due to it's flexibility.

Yes, the Phaeton has separate cable and satellite hookups.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Well, everyone will be happy to hear that I finally placed my order for the Pathway X2 with forum sponsor TVforMyRV. Now I can quit bugging everyone with idiotic questions.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Now I can quit bugging everyone with idiotic questions.

Yeah, right.........:-)
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Sarah, I have the X2. I sold my Tailgater for it and I'm glad I did. It works great, and even gets the signal during mild rain storms. Also due to the larger base size, it is more stable and less susceptible to being blown off it's stand. The only problem that I have had is that you have to remember to bring it with you.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:07 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Yeah, right.........:-)
Hey, somebody has to ask the idiotic questions; might as well be me!!
Old 05-08-2014, 08:10 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Sarah, I have the X2. I sold my Tailgater for it and I'm glad I did. It works great, and even gets the signal during mild rain storms. Also due to the larger base size, it is more stable and less susceptible to being blown off it's stand. The only problem that I have had is that you have to remember to bring it with you.
We have a KVH dome on the roof, so I'm not sure how much use we'll get from the Pathway. I just like to be prepared.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:34 PM   #24

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
Lamar,

You meant to type Western Arc, right?

Don
You're absolutely right. I did mean the western arc. Sorry about the misunderstanding. When I said eastern arc I meant western arc.
Winegard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:21 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well, everyone will be happy to hear that I finally placed my order for the Pathway X2 with forum sponsor TVforMyRV. Now I can quit bugging everyone with idiotic questions.
OK, I lied. More idiotic questions!! (I hate it when Bruce is right.) I'm wondering if we can buy a longer cable for the X2 and will it work? The antenna comes with a 25' cable, which isn't really very long.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:45 AM   #26

Quote:
OK, I lied. More idiotic questions!! (I hate it when Bruce is right.) I'm wondering if we can buy a longer cable for the X2 and will it work? The antenna comes with a 25' cable, which isn't really very long.

Yes you can use RG6 coax up to 75 feet. Try to find a coax labeled "Low Loss" or "Low Impedance" if your going with a pre-made coax.

Just as a sidebar, I have hooked my X2 up with 90' of cable and it worked.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Yes you can use RG6 coax up to 75 feet. Try to find a coax labeled "Low Loss" or "Low Impedance" if your going with a pre-made coax.

Just as a sidebar, I have hooked my X2 up with 90' of cable and it worked.
Thanks! I really wish our Bounder had a "satellite in" connection in the bay. That would make it so much easier to use the X2.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #28

Quote:
Thanks! I really wish our Bounder had a "satellite in" connection in the bay. That would make it so much easier to use the X2.
It's generally not that hard to run a length of coax from the receiver to a protected location and install a connection. I have seen them installed in the front engine compartment when the receiver was located in a cabinet over the windshield. Once all the wiring is run and all the connections are made everything is pretty much weather proof except for the external connection itself. A friend used a truck valve core cap to screw on over his to keep it clean.