Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2014, 04:24 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
When you select the 2 receiver option on the X2 setup menu the antenna will automatically seek and lock on the eastern arc 72 satellite. This satellite carries all the DISH HD channels except locals. Both receivers will be able to have HD programming.
Thanks ... that's the info I was looking for. So, to get local networks, you would need to 1) use OTA (rooftop antenna like batwing) straight to the TV on a separate input, or 2) reconfigure to single receiver and watch locals via the spot beams, or 3) use the OTA optional module on one/both receivers.

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2014, 12:34 PM   #44

Quote:
Yes you can use RG6 coax up to 75 feet. Try to find a coax labeled "Low Loss" or "Low Impedance" if your going with a pre-made coax.

Just as a sidebar, I have hooked my X2 up with 90' of cable and it worked.
Question regarding the RG6 cable length:

I currently use a Tailgater and VIP211K receiver with a 150 ft long coax with no problems. Any reason the Pathway X2 wouldn't be able to use 150 ft cable?

(My current setup is 150' cable from satellite antenna to satellite input on RV. From satellite input to dish receiver inside camper is approximately another 6-10'.)
knowles24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #45

I'm not that familiar with the Tailgater. Is it powered by an external power supply or through the receiver coax?

The Pathway X2 is powered by the receiver coax, and Winegard says 75 feet is the maximum allowed. However I have run mine with a 90 foot, low impedance RG6 cable with no problems.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:57 PM   #46

Quote:
I'm not that familiar with the Tailgater. Is it powered by an external power supply or through the receiver coax?

The Pathway X2 is powered by the receiver coax, and Winegard says 75 feet is the maximum allowed. However I have run mine with a 90 foot, low impedance RG6 cable with no problems.
The tailgater is a vucube rebranded and setup for dish network only. It is powered only by the receiver as well. 150' cable works but I was curious about the "2 receiver capable" pathway x2. The camp sites we frequent require long distances to give the dish a clear line of sight beyond the trees. I would have to test it but I wouldn't be surprised if my tailgater worked with 200' of rg6. No go on the pathway for me if that length had to be reduced.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:30 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowles24 View Post
The tailgater is a vucube rebranded and setup for dish network only. It is powered only by the receiver as well. 150' cable works but I was curious about the "2 receiver capable" pathway x2. The camp sites we frequent require long distances to give the dish a clear line of sight beyond the trees. I would have to test it but I wouldn't be surprised if my tailgater worked with 200' of rg6. No go on the pathway for me if that length had to be reduced.
I had the same question and this is the information I received...

Winegard recommends a max of 50' for the Pathway. The motors which align the antenna get their power from the coax. The longer the coax is, the more voltage loss you have in the coax meaning that the motor is operating with a lower voltage. The power requirement for the motor is the same, so if the voltage is down the current (amps) must go up to create the same power level. As amps go up, so does heat. Heat kills electronics.

However, if you use a good quality coax with a heavier center conductor it will minimize the voltage drop but not eliminate it, so you can get away with longer runs.

Based on the information I was given, I'm pretty sure that 150' would be much too long for the Pathway cable.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I had the same question and this is the information I received...

Winegard recommends a max of 50' for the Pathway. The motors which align the antenna get their power from the coax. The longer the coax is, the more voltage loss you have in the coax meaning that the motor is operating with a lower voltage. The power requirement for the motor is the same, so if the voltage is down the current (amps) must go up to create the same power level. As amps go up, so does heat. Heat kills electronics.

However, if you use a good quality coax with a heavier center conductor it will minimize the voltage drop but not eliminate it, so you can get away with longer runs.

Based on the information I was given, I'm pretty sure that 150' would be much too long for the Pathway cable.
It's DC power, so I'm not very concerned with it generating heat to the levels that would even become warm to the touch, much less damage anything. I'm just guessing that the amperage would be 0.5-2.0?

Also the duty cycle of the motor is so minimal, at least in my opinion.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:21 AM   #49

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
When you lose half of your channels, you've gone too far.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:48 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
When you lose half of your channels, you've gone too far.
If I could choose which half to lose that would be awesome !!
Old 09-24-2014, 07:08 AM   #51

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
If I could choose which half to lose that would be awesome !!
LOL. The only ones you'll have left will be the shopping channels...
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:00 AM   #52

Ford Super Duty Owner
As long as I only lose sports channels I would be perfectly happy. I wish someone would come out with a portable crank up antenna stand that would go up about 40' and fit in the storage compartment! Our favorite CG is so full of trees I don't even get my dish out for that reason. So much to do and enjoy I don't even miss it though .
flangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:15 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowles24 View Post
It's DC power, so I'm not very concerned with it generating heat to the levels that would even become warm to the touch, much less damage anything. I'm just guessing that the amperage would be 0.5-2.0?

Also the duty cycle of the motor is so minimal, at least in my opinion.
What I know about amperage would fit in a thimble. Personally I try to stay within the manufacturer's recommendations for their product, no matter the reason behind it. If Winegard specifies a certain cable length, that's what we will use.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:20 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Thanks ... that's the info I was looking for. So, to get local networks, you would need to 1) use OTA (rooftop antenna like batwing) straight to the TV on a separate input, or 2) reconfigure to single receiver and watch locals via the spot beams, or 3) use the OTA optional module on one/both receivers.

Thanks!

Yes, you can use your OTA module to get the local channels if you have adequate reception for your antenna. You obviously could also use cable if the park has it.

As far as spot beams go, they are on different satellites for different locations. For my area they (HD) are on 61.5 so the Eastern arc is best for me. The SD locals are on 129 so the western arc would work in a pinch. Once I get more than about 100 miles from home, though, I'm unable to receive the local channels because of the spot nature of the beam. Never tried to get Dish to switch my locals to a new area temporarily but they might be willing to do that.
Tom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #55

Quick question about the x1... I can hear the motor do 2 quick starts every 15 minutes whether or not we are watching t.v. As if realigning but does not really seem to move at all. Is this normal or do I have an issue that needs addressing? Thanks