Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pathway x1 vs Pathway x2?

Yeah, I'm still considering which portable to buy. Every time I think I've decided, they come out with something new! I've looked online at the features of each Pathway, and I'm still leaning to the x2 because of the larger reflector...but the small size of the x1 is sort of appealing. It would be easier to stow. Both appear to be quality products and will be equally user-friendly. We would not roof-mount the x1, so that's not a plus in my book.

Anyone care to comment?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The X2 is, as you noticed, larger, His more "Gain" as we call it (Pulls in a stronger signal) and can see both the eastern and western arcs (if you have Dish).

Thus it's the one to buy.

With Dish, Id' get the tailgater before I went with the X1
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:03 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
The X2 is, as you noticed, larger, His more "Gain" as we call it (Pulls in a stronger signal) and can see both the eastern and western arcs (if you have Dish).

Thus it's the one to buy.

With Dish, Id' get the tailgater before I went with the X1
Thanks. I'm thinking the x2 is the best choice for us.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #4

+1 on the X2. However, the X2 only works with certain receivers as the dish is powered via the primary coax. I know it works with the 211Z and 211K. Maybe more.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
+1 on the X2. However, the X2 only works with certain receivers as the dish is powered via the primary coax. I know it works with the 211Z and 211K. Maybe more.
We currently own a 211K that we use with our roof-mount KVH TracVision dome. I'm considering a carry out to use as a backup for when we are parked under trees. Also, I'll probably buy the "bundle" which is the x2 and a 211Z receiver.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:52 PM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
We currently own a 211K that we use with our roof-mount KVH TracVision dome. I'm considering a carry out to use as a backup for when we are parked under trees. Also, I'll probably buy the "bundle" which is the x2 and a 211Z receiver.
The Winegard bundle rebate expires in less than two weeks..... Don't miss it if you want the bundle.

By the way, your 211K should work just fine with the Pathway. Since you currently have it connected to a working antenna, it should have loaded the firmware for the Mobile Protocol, and should seamlessly recognize the X1 when you connect it. So maybe you don't need the bundle.....

However, the Winegard rebate makes the bundle an almost free receiver...
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:39 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
The Winegard bundle rebate expires in less than two weeks..... Don't miss it if you want the bundle.

By the way, your 211K should work just fine with the Pathway. Since you currently have it connected to a working antenna, it should have loaded the firmware for the Mobile Protocol, and should seamlessly recognize the X1 when you connect it. So maybe you don't need the bundle.....

However, the Winegard rebate makes the bundle an almost free receiver...
Thanks, Don. I noticed that the clock is winding down on the rebate, thanks. You say that the 211k should "seamlessly recognize the x1 when connected"... is the same true for the x2? Would you say that the x2 will have an advantage considering the larger reflector? Thanks for all your help.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:36 AM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Sarah,

Yes the X2 too. Actually, I meant to type X2 and my fingers got one key off.

There are almost always pros and cons in every decision or choice. I believe the X2 has better overall performance and with the ability to access both the eastern and western arcs, gives the X2 a value advantage. That performance comes at a price of bigger and heavier... If you have a little more room and can stand a few more pounds, and positively don't want a roof mount kit, then the X2 is the winner in my mind.

Please feel free to call me if you have any questions...
Old 05-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #9

Commercial Member

Quote:
Yeah, I'm still considering which portable to buy. Every time I think I've decided, they come out with something new! I've looked online at the features of each Pathway, and I'm still leaning to the x2 because of the larger reflector...but the small size of the x1 is sort of appealing. It would be easier to stow. Both appear to be quality products and will be equally user-friendly. We would not roof-mount the x1, so that's not a plus in my book.

Anyone care to comment?

Sarah,

How many receivers do you plan on using?

La Mar Timmons
Winegard Digital Communications
Winegard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winegard1 View Post
Sarah,

How many receivers do you plan on using?

La Mar Timmons
Hey La Mar. We just use one receiver. As "vacationers" we don't see the need for additional receivers...yet. What's your take on the x1 versus x2?
Old 05-08-2014, 06:40 AM   #11

Commercial Member

Sarah,

In my opinion, it just matters on what your personal preference is. Both units will deliver what you want very well. It just matters if you want something smaller or not. If you are going to be spending a lot of time in the northeastern part of America (ex. New England) then you may want to go with the X2. The X1 is only capable of giving you the eastern arc satellites, which are harder to see once you get into the northeastern part of the country. This would be the only time you would have problems with the X1 and connecting. The X1 is much smaller, and can be roof mounted if you chose later. Both the X1, and X2 will work seamlessly with the 211 series receivers (ViP211k & ViP211z) All you would do is plug in the receiver to the satellite antenna, and follow the prompts on the TV screen and within 10 minutes you should be ready to activate, or watch TV. The X2 does have a larger reflector inside of the dome, making it have better performance with bad weather.

All in all, if you are wanting something compact and aren't going to be around the northeastern corner of America too much, then the X1 would be great. If you do want to have a little extra security in heavy rain, snow, or clouds, and you want to have the option to connect over to the eastern arc satellites, then the X2 would be the better choice. Also, if you guys do decide to become more "advanced" with your camping, and add another receiver box, the X2 will be the best choice - as it will support two receivers much more seamlessly than the X1 will. The X1 is more designed for use with one receiver, and sometimes can be a little complicated when dealing with two. I hope this helps!

Thanks!
La Mar Timmons
Winegard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:06 AM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winegard1 View Post
Sarah,

The X1 is only capable of giving you the eastern arc satellites, which are harder to see once you get into the northeastern part of the country. This would be the only time you would have problems with the X1 and connecting.

Thanks!
La Mar Timmons
Lamar,

You meant to type Western Arc, right?

Don
Old 05-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks so much to everyone who has commented; I appreciate your input very much. I have one more question regarding the whole east/west arc thing. Is it possible to be in an area where we would typically choose the western arc, but due to line-of-sight issues we'd need to choose the eastern arc instead...and would that be possible? (Just throwing that one out there...)

My last concern is with the size of the X2. I have watched a few video demos and I'm wondering if it will easily stow in a typical basement storage? Also, I read that the X2 is very touchy as to level...does that make it more difficult to set up?

Thanks again!
Old 05-08-2014, 12:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks so much to everyone who has commented; I appreciate your input very much. I have one more question regarding the whole east/west arc thing. Is it possible to be in an area where we would typically choose the western arc, but due to line-of-sight issues we'd need to choose the eastern arc instead...and would that be possible? (Just throwing that one out there...)

My last concern is with the size of the X2. I have watched a few video demos and I'm wondering if it will easily stow in a typical basement storage? Also, I read that the X2 is very touchy as to level...does that make it more difficult to set up?

Thanks again!
The eastern arc / western arc thing is one of the advantages of the x2. I haven't had mine too long but have already had the occasion to switch from eastern to western to clear obstacles. As stated above the western arc will work in most of the US except the upper mid-atlantic and northeast or the lower tip of Florida. In these areas the eastern arc works well. As a side note the eastern arc is easier to use in the eastern half of Canada if you travel within 200 to 300 miles of the boarder, been there done that.

As to the level issue, I've had no problems. If it looks about level that's good enough. The big thing is to always point the handle/connectors on the x2 to the north.

As to storage it fits in the storage bay on my Phaeton, it needs about 16" of height clearance and 22" of width. It would even set in my slide tray in the bay and clear the door opening.