Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2022, 05:41 AM   #1

Pay as you go data cards

Is anyone aware of a good pay as you go data plan? We go for a week then back into storage for a two months then on the road for a month etc. Seems silly to pay monthly and have many months of no use per year. Looking for both Verizon and ATT which will be inserted in to a Pepwave product. What should the cost per gb be?
AZRVR17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2022, 06:45 AM   #2

AZRVR17-

Here is a link to a current similar thread:

Looking for WiFi/LTE advice
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 07:39 AM   #3

You can effectively do this with the AT&T 100 GB for $55 data plan. It's prepaid so there's no obligation to pay every month.

https://www.att.com/prepaid/mobile-hotspot-tablet/

if you don't pay again (i.e., "refill") when the month ends, it stops working but you have some amount of grace period while the account and associated phone number remains active and all you need to do is pay another $55 to bring it back to life. The grace period matters to some people on a prepay phone because they don't want to lose the number but that doesn't matter for a router. Even routers have a phone number but nobody cares about it.

Nobody seems to know how long that period is. For prepaid phones it seems to be 60 days but for this data plan it seems longer. I bought it for my Pepwave, I think it was in April last year. I used it for a month to test it but didn't refill and haven't touched it since then. If I login to the account now it still shows the number and a big prompt for me to pay another $55. I think if I did that it would work again but I've moved on to something else so I don't want to do that just to prove it. I think the grace period might be a year.

But even if that doesn't work out, there are two other options. The simplest thing is to keep a blank AT&T SIM on hand (costs less than $5 on Amazon). If you wait too long and it expires then just create a new account here https://www.att.com/prepaid/activations/#/activate.html. That might cost an activation fee. I think it's $15.

The other thing I guess if you don't want to risk it expiring then you can login to the account and change the plan to the $35 per month for $15 GB just to keep it alive. You definitely get 60 days grace so at a maximin you could pay $35 every three months. One month makes it work (even if you don't use it) and then two months grace period.
tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:52 AM   #4
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranz View Post
You can effectively do this with the AT&T 100 GB for $55 data plan. It's prepaid so there's no obligation to pay every month.

https://www.att.com/prepaid/mobile-hotspot-tablet/...
Thanks for this never thought of that. Going to have to look into doing this.
Old 03-07-2022, 10:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranz View Post

https://www.att.com/prepaid/mobile-hotspot-tablet/

if you don't pay again (i.e., "refill") when the month ends, it stops working but you have some amount of grace period while the account and associated phone number remains active and all you need to do is pay another $55 to bring it back to life. The grace period matters to some people on a prepay phone because they don't want to lose the number but that doesn't matter for a router. Even routers have a phone number but nobody cares about it.

Nobody seems to know how long that period is. For prepaid phones it seems to be 60 days but for this data plan it seems longer. I bought it for my Pepwave, I think it was in April last year. I used it for a month to test it but didn't refill and haven't touched it since then. If I login to the account now it still shows the number and a big prompt for me to pay another $55. I think if I did that it would work again but I've moved on to something else so I don't want to do that just to prove it. I think the grace period might be a year.

But even if that doesn't work out, there are two other options. The simplest thing is to keep a blank AT&T SIM on hand (costs less than $5 on Amazon). If you wait too long and it expires then just create a new account here https://www.att.com/prepaid/activations/#/activate.html. That might cost an activation fee. I think it's $15.

The other thing I guess if you don't want to risk it expiring then you can login to the account and change the plan to the $35 per month for $15 GB just to keep it alive. You definitely get 60 days grace so at a maximin you could pay $35 every three months. One month makes it work (even if you don't use it) and then two months grace period.
Hello, just a follow up question. Are you getting 100 gig of mobile hot spot or just to the device its registered and then a lessor amount of hot spot. Thanks, Greg
gregrvivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 04:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrvivian View Post
Hello, just a follow up question. Are you getting 100 gig of mobile hot spot or just to the device its registered and then a lessor amount of hot spot. Thanks, Greg
100 GB hotspot. But ... that's kind of a meaningless description. It's not a phone plan so there is no distinction between hotspot and device data. The device is a hotspot or a router containing a modem.
tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote