Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2010, 07:17 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
poor cell phone signal " I found the answer"

Hello all:
I volunteered to work in a county park for 6 months. When i got here my cell phone was practically useless. Could not make a call...then when i could it broke up and could not complete the call etc.
I searched and found the answer to my problem. I want to share it because most everyone i know in their travels depends on the cell phone and has similar problems more often then they would like.
I did a lot of research and found a company called Wilson Electronics. They make many different types of cell phone signal boosters to fit different needs.
I have their 801212 kit. This Kit has taken my cell phone from either no bars or one bar and boosted it from as little as 3 bars and up to 6 on my sprint android phone. Actually it works for all phones and all providers except Nextel. I not only got a strong signal to make enjoyable calls, but i also use my cell phone to tether to my laptop to get online and that requires a strong signal. Before i got this kit i could not get online...now i do and i am writing this from my laptop tethered to my cell phone using this kit. The kit consists of an amplifier ( the amplifier does just that..it amplifies the signal. You do have to have some sort of signal...even a weak signal....after all you cannot amplify something if it is not there. ) sometimes i do not see any bars on my phone...but apparently there must have been a signal of some sort because i did get the boost needed to make calls.
Besides the amplifier there is an external antenna and an internal antenna. The kit is small and can easily be moved from motorhome to car or wherever. It just needs to be plugged into your 12V car/motorhome socket or use the 110V adapter.
If you have any cell phone problems check out Cell Phone Antennas and Cell Phone Boosters at Wilson Electronics
They do not sell direct, but their tech support people are there for us. They are knowledgeable and do not mind helping us.
I am called Gadget due to my fondness of well.....gadgets.
This product works
Now that I found the answer....I am a happy camper....good luck to you all, allen aka/gadget
IamGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quite a few RVers use that solution, Gadget. It's been around quite a while. In many cases you don't even need the amp - just an external antenna will do the job. Works for data cards (cell modems) as well.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:01 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I am sure others have used this. Wilson electronics has been around for a while..I would think that an antenna without an amplifier might help some, but an antenna alone cannot amplify with the same strength. I not only get a big signal boost to make the calls clear without breaking up....but the amplified signal allows me to tether my cell phone to my laptop. I am writing this now on my laptop that is being powered through my cell phone...I could not do this before i got the amplifier kit.
I just wanted to share the satisfaction I found with this product...I am sure there are still many that do not know about it..I will be happy to give anyone the information i found......and hope it helps others...thanks, allen aka gadget
Old 07-25-2010, 01:47 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamGadget View Post
I am sure others have used this. Wilson electronics has been around for a while..I would think that an antenna without an amplifier might help some, but an antenna alone cannot amplify with the same strength. I not only get a big signal boost to make the calls clear without breaking up....but the amplified signal allows me to tether my cell phone to my laptop. I am writing this now on my laptop that is being powered through my cell phone...I could not do this before i got the amplifier kit.
I just wanted to share the satisfaction I found with this product...I am sure there are still many that do not know about it..I will be happy to give anyone the information i found......and hope it helps others...thanks, allen aka gadget
how much does it cost?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:43 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
how much does it cost?
I suggest that you do a google search for the best price...and of course do check the company you intend to purchase from...about their satisfaction warranty and if any re stocking fees etc...( as should be done with anything you purchase online) some companies offer 30 days guaranteed satisfaction.
I think for the kit i got i saw around 250.00 as the lowest...but every day is different. I am so glad i have this. The frustration of poor or no calls was getting to me and the fact that i can now tether my phone to my laptop made this worth every penny. If you go to Cell Phone Antennas and Cell Phone Boosters at Wilson Electronics site you will see several kits. I have the 801212. it is versitile and i can add to it. The amplifier is the heart of the kit and there i can change or add different antennas to fit different needs as well as add a low loss cable if i need more length than what comes with the kit. Also if you talk to their tech support you will find them to be very very helpful. Good luck and enjoy, Allen aka Gadget
Old 07-25-2010, 07:01 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for posting, Gadget. Friends and I were talking about this exact device last weekend as we were camping in an area notorious for its lack of cell signal. I wonder why it doesn't work with NEXTEL? We're currently using NEXTEL phones but have a Sprint Overdrive hotspot for computer hookup.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:52 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVJeeper View Post
Thanks for posting, Gadget. Friends and I were talking about this exact device last weekend as we were camping in an area notorious for its lack of cell signal. I wonder why it doesn't work with NEXTEL? We're currently using NEXTEL phones but have a Sprint Overdrive hotspot for computer hookup.
Re Nextel...i do not know the technical reasons why it does not work with Nextel...I do believe that Nextel is more like a radio/walkie talkie system and is very different than regular phones...I was amazed when i took the kit to the cabin in the woods at the campground and did get a strong signal ( i am on sprint) and someone else in the cabin had verizon and she walked near the internal antenna and went WOW she yelled i got 4 bars and there was 1 before. It is great that other phones in the same area will get a boost.
I do not know what sprint overdrive is but if you call Wilson tech support you might get some good advice..
Old 07-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamGadget View Post
I do not know what sprint overdrive is but if you call Wilson tech support you might get some good advice..
The Overdrive unit is basically a cell data device that also acts as a local Wi-Fi hotspot. Up to 5 computers can link to it for wireless internet service. Sprint Overdrive It works on the Sprint PCS network, different from the Nextel network so we at least sometimes have computer connectivity when we don't have phones.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #9

Wilson isn't the only game in town....I got a Cellphone Mate 40 dB amplifier that works great and is very well made. I go from a terrible 108 dB signal (bigger number is weaker signal) in my metal garage to 67 dB with the phone near the internal antenna and the amp turned on....equal to barely one bar to 5 bars...
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:19 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by footdoc View Post
Wilson isn't the only game in town....I got a Cellphone Mate 40 dB amplifier that works great and is very well made. I go from a terrible 108 dB signal (bigger number is weaker signal) in my metal garage to 67 dB with the phone near the internal antenna and the amp turned on....equal to barely one bar to 5 bars...
I know there are others. I just did my best to research and compare as many as i could find...Read many threads...some are gimmicks some not.
some no tech support etc. So i found Wilson Electronics..they have been around a long time with a great reputation and lots of threads favoring them so that was they way i went. I did talk to their tech support several times before purchasing and was very very pleased with their attitude, knowledge and that seems to get more difficult to find these days. I am very comfortable knowing I always have someone there to talk to if i should need them.....and now that i have their cell phone signal booster....I am a happy camper...Thanks again
Old 07-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Wilson makes top-of-the line gear. Hard to go wrong, even if a few dollars more.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:36 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Probably the reason it doesn't work on Nextel is because their system uses the 800MHz Band. Nextel was primarily an 800MHz two-way radio Trunking System that was improved to function as a cellular type system similar to the other carriers. Verizon had both 800 & higher. But Verizon's 800 system is no longer in use. Where most cell phone providers utilize much higher frequencies (bands) these tend to be in the 1.2 all the up to 2.0Ghz bands, and of course the amplifiers you refer to utilize these same bands.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:57 PM   #13

Poor Cellphone reception...cure?

Hi All, I own a 2001 Dynasty. On the build sheet there is something called "Cellular Antenna & Wiring"cost $200. What is that? Will that serve the purpose of a antenna for my current Cellphone?
Since I never heard any discussion about this I'm pretty sure it does not, but it never hurts to ask. I am also sure many Monacos of that era had that as an option.
Robert
Old 07-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
Wilson makes top-of-the line gear. Hard to go wrong, even if a few dollars more.
besides quality gear their tech support is always there and very very helpful with great attitudes.