Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #1

This question just pertains to boondocking.

I am thinking of getting a portable DVD player, with built in screen to help fill those long, rainy, boondocking evenings. The major problem with most of the portable DVD players I see is the screen is 7” to 10” wide. Our grandkids watch one while mom and dad drive on long trips and they seem to love it. But, seems kind of small for two people to enjoy? Anyone out there use one?

Our trailer has a 110v DVD player, but I don’t think we want to run a generator while watching a movie. We don’t now have a TV to use it with. Would an inverter power the DVD and at what cost to our batteries? Maybe an inverter and a small 12 volt TV?

Anyway, I sure would appreciate any ideas you all may have!

Thanks - Bob
BobCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #2

This question just pertains to boondocking.

I am thinking of getting a portable DVD player, with built in screen to help fill those long, rainy, boondocking evenings. The major problem with most of the portable DVD players I see is the screen is 7” to 10” wide. Our grandkids watch one while mom and dad drive on long trips and they seem to love it. But, seems kind of small for two people to enjoy? Anyone out there use one?

Our trailer has a 110v DVD player, but I don’t think we want to run a generator while watching a movie. We don’t now have a TV to use it with. Would an inverter power the DVD and at what cost to our batteries? Maybe an inverter and a small 12 volt TV?

Anyway, I sure would appreciate any ideas you all may have!

Thanks - Bob
Old 01-13-2009, 04:09 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
What! You don't already have a laptop computer?
I use my laptop with a 14.5" screen and built in DVD player. Runs for 2.5 hours with out being pluged into anything.. perfect for a movie and big enough for two to watch.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:18 PM   #4

Ok, you caught me! I promised my wife I'd never bring a komputter camping!
Old 01-14-2009, 06:36 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BobCaesar:
Ok, you caught me! I promised my wife I'd never bring a komputter camping! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Welll, now it appears you have a great excuse to bring one with you!!! Just promise not to bring the AirCard

Not knowing how long you boondock without having elect, not knowing your battery capacity, not knowing whether you can recharge batts while boondocking, etc: pretty much will limit any knowledgable answers..
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:05 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
"What! You don't already have a laptop computer?
I use my laptop with a 14.5" screen and built in DVD player. Runs for 2.5 hours with out being pluged into anything.. perfect for a movie and big enough for two to watch."

I bought a 12V adapter to power my laptop. It plugs into the socket above the desk in front or back. Wonderful for those movies.

Also, you must explain to your wife that computers are like lungs. You must have at least one!

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #7

Hey, I know! I'll get a new wife - and while I'm at it get a longer trailer - maybe a new pickup! Thanks - you've given me a whole new direction, which will save m,e thousands of $!!!