Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2020, 09:34 PM   #1

Portable Full Size Dish Setup

We have Dish in the House and have the hopper 3. I bought a portable full size dish for our TT to use with the hopper. I had it sort of working once but when I tried to dial it in it got worse. Now, I can’t get the dish setup and working at all. I have spent roughly 12 hours on two day trying. That doesn’t Include all the videos I’ve watched and read, read and reread the manual that came with the dish. I am an accomplished do it yourselfer but this one has me beat. I’m spent. I want to higher someone to teach me how to set it up but I can’t find any leads anywhere.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2020, 09:43 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Which satellites are you trying to capture? The hopper 3 requires the DISH Network DPH Dish Pro Hybrid Western Arc triple LNB. It supports western arc installations. It receives programming from the 110-, 119- and 129-degree orbitals. For use with Hopper 3 or Wally installs only. There is a eastern arc system as well depending on where you are in the US.

Then after you set the tripod exactly plumb, then set the azimuth and elevation. I use a phone app that shows me where the sats are. Once you do this a few times you get really good a locking onto the birds.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Before you start trying to aim a Dish antenna, you MUST have the mounting post absolutely plumb and vertical. If it is not vertical, when you swing the dish on the post, the elevation and skew will change relative to vertical.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:52 PM   #4

Get a Quality Tripod & Quality Sat Meter

I don't know what you all bought, but you'll need a quality tripod like this one.

However, after a decade of aiming dishes, I've found a quality sat meter indispensable. I use a Super Buddy meter. You can pick up a used Super Buddy for a few hundred bucks.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:09 PM   #5

Like what was previously said...
You cannot use your Hopper3 with a portable Dome dish.
You must purchase a Wally, add it to your home account for $7/mo.
Then there’s the issue of using a DVR with your Wally. You’ll need to purchase a hard drive & pay connection fee.

And as stated above...you must be level. Period!

All of that said...DISH in an RV is finicky.
Sometimes it works great, other times with a clear blue unobstructed southern sky, it struggles to come on.

I currently have a Winegard G3 permanently mounted on my roof.
If I did it over again I’d opt for the $1500 Traveler so I could use my Hopper3 and the satellite connection would be much easier/quicker.
taylorbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Which satellites are you trying to capture? The hopper 3 requires the DISH Network DPH Dish Pro Hybrid Western Arc triple LNB. It supports western arc installations. It receives programming from the 110-, 119- and 129-degree orbitals. For use with Hopper 3 or Wally installs only. There is a eastern arc system as well depending on where you are in the US.

Then after you set the tripod exactly plumb, then set the azimuth and elevation. I use a phone app that shows me where the sats are. Once you do this a few times you get really good a locking onto the birds.
I am looking for the western arc 110, 119 & 129. The dish I bought is a 1000.2. Bought it from satellite oasis. They claim it works with all Dish receivers.
When getting the post that the dish is mounted to plumb, is the bubble level on the top adequate or should I use a level on the pipe itself?
Oh, and yes, I have a solo node.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:38 PM   #7

Bubble should be fine.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:09 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Way back when I used a manual antenna with Dish Network. Sometimes it setup easily. Other times it was a huge hassle. Moved to an automatic antenna.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:18 AM   #9
YC1

Are you using a phone app that allows you to actually look up at the sky? One twig in the way can ruin your day.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:32 PM   #10

I too tried the 1000.2 from S/Oasis. Seemed like a good idea to have a larger dish and to receive all 3 western sats at once. Howsumever the quality of the tripod and lack of rigidity had me pulling out what little hair I have!
Suggestions: get Satcatcher app to actually see the 119 sat, also has a good pumb bob to get your mount vertical with the smart phone. Go to dishpointer.com to get the angles for your lat-long. The list by zip code are rough numbers.
So I had mine with 30 lbs of lead hanging on the tripod and a gust still blew it over! After that I could not get a lock on 119 so I'm waiting on a refund. I think the LNB went south. Now I'm looking at a Pathway X-1 or Playmaker PL 7000. $440 and $250 resp. Already have the Wally.
LHCDryHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:45 AM   #11

I have done this a hundred times at least. Go to satfinder on your computer and get your setup parameters. Next and most important, the tripod must be near perfectly level. Set the angle and skew with the dish laying on the ground. Gently put the dish on the tripod and using a compass, point it in the direction of the satellites. Using your receiver, slowly make small adjustments starting with the direction until your receiver gets to about 45 to 50%. This is the best you are going to get. Once you are at that point, go to your receiver menu and do an installation test. Go to settings, Diagnostics, Dish, and find the button in the top right-hand corner. Once it finishes, you should see checkmarks on all the sats. Watch TV. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:59 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I used a 1000.2 Dish for years. After a little practice, I could set it up in less than 5 minutes.

Here is a short article that gives the detail:

http://www.1999southwind.com/using-o...e-on-the-road/

Basics:
  1. Mast MUST be level. This is more critical in the eastern US than the western US.
  2. Adjust antennas Elevation and Skew for the zip code your located.
  3. On the antenna, block the two outside LNBs with aluminum foil or anything so they cannot see a signal. ( I had a couple small cat foot cans that I used) Only the center LNB should see the sky.
  4. On the receivers aiming page, select Sat 119.
  5. I used an inexpensive squawk meter at the antenna, point the antenna toward the Azimuth that's specified for the zip code.
  6. move the antenna back and forth a few degrees and listen for the squawk meter. Peak for max signal.
  7. Verify on the receivers pointing screen that its receiving 119.
  8. Tighten everything up, remove the squawk meter, remove the covers from the outside LNBs.

NOTE - I changed to Orby last year. I use the same tripod, but it has a different dish and LNB. Basically the exact same procedure

http://www.1999southwind.com/using-o...e-on-the-road/
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:17 PM   #13

Update

Thanks for all the replies.
I called Dish for tech support and the phone support was little to no help. However, they did send a tech to the house. He checked my equipment and had the dish aligned with his really expensive meter in about 10 minutes, maybe less. We discussed how to set it up on the road, and he said, short of having a meter, he couldn't be of much help. After he left my wife asked if I could send the dish back. I thought I was passed the return window, but when I checked online I still had a few days. Went through the process online and bam, a return label popped up. Got it boxed up yesterday and tomorrow it's going back.
Now we are looking at the more expensive option, the dishes that find the satellites automatically.
We are leaning towards the Winegard Pathway X2 bundle on Amazon. It's way more than I want to spend but, it should help to provide home away from home when we start reaching out across the country.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uechikid View Post
Thanks for all the replies.
I called Dish for tech support and the phone support was little to no help. However, they did send a tech to the house. He checked my equipment and had the dish aligned with his really expensive meter in about 10 minutes, maybe less. We discussed how to set it up on the road, and he said, short of having a meter, he couldn't be of much help. After he left my wife asked if I could send the dish back. I thought I was passed the return window, but when I checked online I still had a few days. Went through the process online and bam, a return label popped up. Got it boxed up yesterday and tomorrow it's going back.
Now we are looking at the more expensive option, the dishes that find the satellites automatically.
We are leaning towards the Winegard Pathway X2 bundle on Amazon. It's way more than I want to spend but, it should help to provide home away from home when we start reaching out across the country.
We have been using the Winegard Pathway X2 for years now and I love it. Most of the time it is so easy to set up, but like has been said, one twig between the dish and the small trash can sized satellites circling 22,000 miles away can really cause problems. I use a phone app that shows me the ski and I move the dish so it will be in the open. There have been times I have had the dish over 150 feet away from the RV. Once I had to run the cable through a storm pipe under a road so I could have the dish on the opposite side of the road to be able to see the 'birds'.

The X2 can also see the Eastern satellites as well as the Western ones.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish