Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
KIX

Portable SAT Dish Connection

In our coach there is a roof mounted 18" round dish (DirecTV) and two receivers in the coach. On occasion we park where we can't get a signal due to obstructions. For those times I carry a 18" round dish that i can set up remotely. So far I have been running the coax up to the roof mounted dish, break that connection and connect the remote dish at that connection. I want to change the roof connection for the remote dish. I want to install a connection point on the coach so I don't have to go on the roof. My question is about the items needed to tee into the front TV (only) receiver so that the front TV can get signal from either the roof dish or the remote one.
Please be specific and talk s-l-o-w as I', originally from Georgia. thanks
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2014, 06:07 PM   #2

The simplest way is to use a coaxial A/B switch. Connect the roof dish coax to the A terminal, and the auxiliary dish coax to the B terminal. Then connect the C (likely the center) terminal to a coax going to the receiver. Slide the switch to A to use the roof dish, to B to use the aux dish. Use RG-6 coax.

Radioshack or any electronics supply store will have them. Maybe Home Depot as well. Mine is cheap, but it works. I rarely switch it, so durability is not much of an issue.

Many RV's come with a connection point in one of the storage compartments to connect an aux dish to the system. Mine happens to be in the curb side storage compartment, next to the coax connection to connect to an outside TV.

My coach also has a coax connection point to connect to a campground cable system. This would normally be on the driver side, where the rest of the utility hookups are found since that is where the campground cable post will be found. Don't try to use this one to connect your dish, or you will sacrifice your ability to use campground cable systems. And have a nightmare of coax connections to switch. If you know what you are doing, you can do it, but many people screw it up.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
KIX

Thanks Jim A. Your description of using an AB switch sounds like the way to do it.
Now just one more question:
1. Is there a particular type of inlet connection and AB switch in that they are for satellite TV?
Old 10-27-2014, 07:31 PM   #4

The one that came with my coach is RCA, and looks like this one:

RCA VH74 Deluxe A/B Switch : Selectors & Switches | RadioShack.com

I bought a Cables to Go brand A/B switch from Amazon for switching between cable and the antenna. I like C2G products. A little more expensive, but seems better quality.

http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-410...es+to+Go+41015

The only thing that seems to be different with the inlet connection from a normal pass-thru coax plate is that this one has a metal cap on the coax terminal to keep it clean. It has a little chain to keep it handy.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:34 PM   #5

Oops! It looks like that RCA A/B switch has been discontinued. I would go with the C2G one.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:03 PM   #6
KIX

Thanks again Jim A
Old 10-27-2014, 10:21 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
As Jim suggested, an AB switch is a great way to go, and that's what I use to switch between roof and carryout. I'm lucky in that I have both a satellite and a cable input in the shore power bay, and both roof and remote connections by the satellite receiver.

If all you have is a cable TV inlet, you can use that as an input connection for the AB switch to the satellite receiver. You may have to bypass any amplifiers or splitters, like in the below diagram from the Winegard Pathway X1 manual. You also might have to install a second AB switch here at the splitter so that you still have cable input, if you want to retain it.

Also, below is a simplified diagram of how a Winegard Carryout is hooked up through the cable port and an AB switch but any outside satellite antenna hookup would be similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cable-Satellite-Bypass.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	77660   Click image for larger version

Name:	carryout_wiring.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	77663  

Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:16 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This does not need to be complex...

Parts list:
1- Cable/Antenna Switch (sometimes called an A/B switch). Like:
FRYS.comÂ*|Â*PHILMORE
1- 25' Coax cable
1- Short Coax cable
1- Coax cable extender/adapter (female/female coax connector) like:
GE Coaxial Cable Extender/Adapter 2-pk. : Target

Put the short coax on the Dish-in jack on the receiver
Put the switch output on the short coax
Put the rooftop raw SAT feed into one of the switch inputs
Put the 25' coax into the other switch input.
Then run the 25' coax down the edge of the windshield and behind the dash to an opening in the front wall by the driver's pedals - to a point by the bumper that you can access from outside...secure the end.
Finally, use the extender to connect your new dedicated coax run to the cable from the portable SAT.
Done
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish