RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #1

Positive post on cigarette lighter plug?

I'm trying to put together a 12V extension for my Winegard Carryout Satellite dome by installing a set of alligator clamps on the opposite end of the female cigarette plug.

May not be necessary but I want to keep everything in the correct order just in case the Carryout is current sensitive, so can anyone tell me if the center post of the outlet plug is positive or negative? I'm sure a lot of appliances to be plugged in to the 12V outlet wouldn't care one way or the other but I don't want to screw up my dome.

Thanks for any help.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #2

Center is always POS, outer/side is always NEG (on a negative ground vehicle). Your voltmeter will prove that.

Actually, 12V DC appliances (other than incandescent lights) REALLY DO care about which is + and - (unlike AC hot and neutral).
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Why not get a 120V to 12V like https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=11190 adapter and use a regular extension cord?

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottffss View Post
Center is always POS, outer/side is always NEG (on a negative ground vehicle). Your voltmeter will prove that.

Actually, 12V DC appliances (other than incandescent lights) REALLY DO care about which is + and - (unlike AC hot and neutral).
Thanks. Guess my brain went on vacation again, didn't occur to me to use the voltmeter on my vehicle's power plug to check out the polarity.

Wagonmaster2
Old 05-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
Why not get a 120V to 12V like https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=11190 adapter and use a regular extension cord?

fred
That was my first and most desirable approach. But I ordered a Sunforce 110V to 12V converter (which is what PPL sells along with their Winegard Carryouts), but even though it was rated at 6.0 amps (the Carryout requires 5.8 amps) it wouldn't even run my 4.0 amp bicycle tire pump. So I sent it back and started in a different direction.

If the Garmin is to be used to charge up the GPS, I would imagine it probably doesn't put out very high amperage. And the web site picture doesn't look very hefty.

I even e-mailed Sunforce to ask why their converter was so weak and they tried to tell me my bicycle air pump required more than 4.0 amps to get started. But I hardly think that little pump could pull 50% more amps just to get started than it would while running.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Wagonmaster2
Old 05-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a bit of advice I like to give to folks hooking up 12 volt stuff.

USE A DIGITAL MULTIMETER TO CHECK THE POLARITY (Or other polarity indicator device, I have several around here)

The center post is SUPPOSED TO BE positive. But with the invention of the plastic dash there were, many years ago, a number of vehicles that got it backwards.

Today. I expect the center post to be positive, but I'd still check.

I would also not hook clip on leads there I would find another place, there are better places, Fuse block, for example, The reason... The lighter is way too easy to short out.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
That was my first and most desirable approach. But I ordered a Sunforce 110V to 12V converter (which is what PPL sells along with their Winegard Carryouts), but even though it was rated at 6.0 amps (the Carryout requires 5.8 amps) it wouldn't even run my 4.0 amp bicycle tire pump. So I sent it back and started in a different direction.

If the Garmin is to be used to charge up the GPS, I would imagine it probably doesn't put out very high amperage. And the web site picture doesn't look very hefty.

I even e-mailed Sunforce to ask why their converter was so weak and they tried to tell me my bicycle air pump required more than 4.0 amps to get started. But I hardly think that little pump could pull 50% more amps just to get started than it would while running.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Wagonmaster2
Actually the air pump would draw more current on start up. To be fair, you should have tried it with the Carryout. I have the Sun Force converter from PPL and it works fine.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #8

Quote:
...I hardly think that little pump could pull 50% more amps just to get started than it would while running...
Actually not surprising.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
There is a bit of advice I like to give to folks hooking up 12 volt stuff.

USE A DIGITAL MULTIMETER TO CHECK THE POLARITY (Or other polarity indicator device, I have several around here)

The center post is SUPPOSED TO BE positive. But with the invention of the plastic dash there were, many years ago, a number of vehicles that got it backwards.

Today. I expect the center post to be positive, but I'd still check.

I would also not hook clip on leads there I would find another place, there are better places, Fuse block, for example, The reason... The lighter is way too easy to short out.
As usual, I always appreciate the excellent advice you have for us RVers. I am expecting to use the clip-on-leads to attach to the coaches battery at the rear of the coach when the satellite dome has to be placed in that position on account of trees. But I am going to check the dash outlet since I could possibly be using it in different circumstances toward the front area.

It's Forum members like you that help keep the rest of us on our toes. Appreciate it very much.

Wagonmaster2
Old 05-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I installed a 12v cigarette light plug just inside my exterior untility center compartment to plug in my Winegard Carryout. Works great. While I was at it I installed a 12v Smart Light motion/security LED light.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
Actually the air pump would draw more current on start up. To be fair, you should have tried it with the Carryout. I have the Sun Force converter from PPL and it works fine.
Due to surgery I've had Directv service suspended until later in the summer so I wasn't able to try the Sun Force converter on the CarryOut. Since it wouldn't run my little bike pump (about the size of your fist) I would probably been afraid it would under-power the Carryout and burn something up.

I had ordered the Sun Force from Wal Mart for $21 whereas the one from PPL is $31 and I'm wondering if Wal Mart gets a sub-quality product in order to sell for much less.

Wagonmaster2
Old 05-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Due to surgery I've had Directv service suspended until later in the summer ....
Due to surgery, you had TV service suspended? When I had my appendix out, I had DirecTV install the 'Every channel on the planet' package AND paid $8/mo extra for a couple of martian ones.

Off topic, I know... Hope your recovery is going well.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Expensive

Alligator clips?

On something that will most likely be toast if you get the polarity backwards?

You can buy 12V extensions for a few bucks. Or you could go to Radio Shack and get 12V male & female connectors and make your own with x feet of zip cord.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #14

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Due to surgery, you had TV service suspended? When I had my appendix out, I had DirecTV install the 'Every channel on the planet' package AND paid $8/mo extra for a couple of martian ones.

Off topic, I know... Hope your recovery is going well.
Sorry, wasn't very explanative about the whole picture. The coach has been stored in the back yard for the winter months and now the doc doesn't want me doing much walking or lifting for another 2-3 months so I've just let the suspension of service run for 6 months. Talk about cabin fever, man do I ever have it and regret not getting this surgery done earlier in the winter but it's a 90 mile drive to the surgery center and winter months can get rough. However, this winter was more like fall/spring combined so I really regret waiting this long.

Wagonmaster2