Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #1

printer depths--allow how many inches for new cabinet?

I am building a "credeza" with pull outs for laptop and printer and wondered what to allow for the depth of the printer shelf/pull out?

I initially was using 12" as my depth so as not to take too much space away from the table it will surround but as we shop for a printer it appears we will be limiting our selection if I allow only 12" but I don't want to go 19" deep like I saw in in one cabinet drawing.

What are y`all's thoughts on a good depth to allow in my new cabinet for a printer?
MoonchaserTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have a computer station with roll-top front on the lower cabinet. My notes say the lower area where my printer is measures 14 1/2“ deep. When I replaced my printer I shopped with a tape measure and got an HP printer/scanner with front feed tray that works well there.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #3

It depends. Do you plan to have a door close in front of it? If so, then allow 14-16 inches. Do you you plan to have a duplexer on the back side? Then allow a couple more. Do you plan to have an open shelf? Then 10-12 would handle most ijp's. HP has several models that close up, and would take no more than 10.

Hope it helps a little.

GL Arnold
glarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #4

Thanks!

Mine will have a door thus i get 3/4" due to the. Face frame..I best see what 14 would look like and go to the store with a tape measure

Anyone else able to advise how deep your printer shelf is?

Thanks much
MoonchaserTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hmm ... I just measured our printer and just realized that we would have to have one that is at least 18 inches deep, 19 to 23 inches wide and 10 inches tall. Yes we have a largish all in one printer thing. Had to get one for Thom's last job and just never replaced since it fits on top of the fireplace.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #6

Tape measure -->> Walmarts = job done
Old 05-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #7

If you don't mind spending more $'s, the HP-100 portable printer is about 8" deep. This is a blue tooth compatible printer so you won't need a data connection to it but you will need to supply power at times to charge the battery. The connections are on the back of the printer so it will take up a bit more depth if the power cord is connected unless you want to pull the printer out a bit while it is charging. There is no output tray, the printed sheet exits the front of the printer. Paper is loaded vertically on top. It doesn't scan so you will need another option.

I purchased this printer since I don't print often and got tired of the space that my 3-in-one took up. I keep the printer in an overhead cabinet and place it on a counter top when I need to print. Since I connect via blue tooth I don't need to have the printer close to the computer.

To get around the need for a scanner, I use CamScanner android app on my smartphone.

This set up works well for me although as I mentioned, the printer is pricey, about $200.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote