Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2020, 07:29 AM   #1

Projection tv

Our American Eagle doesnt have an outside tv and my wife thinks a projection tv might work best for us, wondering if anyone has imput on models, screen size and /or recommendations if this is a good idea or not.
sledhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2020, 08:02 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
Our American Eagle doesnt have an outside tv and my wife thinks a projection tv might work best for us, wondering if anyone has imput on models, screen size and /or recommendations if this is a good idea or not.

Do you mean a projector? I don't think I would want a projector for viewing outside unless it was just for the occasional movie after dark. I love my projector and use it for movies by the pool but it's no match for mother nature (Sun).
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:33 AM   #3

If you have room in a basement bay, MORryde makes a tv mount that slides out and drops down.

https://www.amazon.com/MORryde-TV40-.../dp/B008O9DAE2

JohnPS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:47 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I've never seen a projection TV system that was clear enough for me, but I admit I haven't seen one in several years!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
I would need an outdoor, daylight demonstration before committing time or money to any projection-based system for exterior use.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:56 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
I can't imagine that anyone still makes a projection TV, let alone I doubt that the TV would stand being transported in an RV.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:15 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Projection tv

My DW has a projector we transport in an rv cupboard with no issues ( they aren’t that delicate ! When not on ) [emoji4] but she uses it ( or used before covid) for conferences, not in the rv. We have a 45” 4K main drop down tv . We have thought of using the projector outside for a movie night but haven’t.
One thing is it would have to be without the sun involved .. projectors don’t have the brightness to overcome outdoor daytime lighting. Projectors are still used for dedicated media room 100”+ screens
I have a small 32” lcd tv stuffed in a main storage bay I pull out and watch a golf game or such on on the patio occasionally. Much better solution and cheaper.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:59 PM   #8

I saw an article the other day about how 4K projectors are now becoming affordable. Starting at $3000. Not MY idea of affordable but anyway. The lesser projectors can be had for under a $100 even these days. You have to balance how bright they actually (versus what they claim), price, and what resolution you'd like.
I favor 1080P for one. I don't own one but I've used a couple. For brightness you about have to depend on reviews.
For close to $100 it's not hard to justify trying one out just to see. An actual screen helps a lot. but a white sheet on the side of the coach will give you the idea.

I've been in campgrounds where it never really got dark enough on the right side of the coach area to get much good out of one. Not the best choice for dependable use outside of a devoted movie room but fun to have for once in a while. Kids tend to get a kick out of playing their games on a really big screen and aren't all that picky about how you do it.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:32 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
A PROJECTOR is different than a PROJECTION TV. The OP said PROJECTION TV, not PROJECTOR.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
A PROJECTOR is different than a PROJECTION TV. The OP said PROJECTION TV, not PROJECTOR.
I'm sure the OP meant projector. I have a projector that I purchased for $80. It has a native resolution of 720P and it has a fairly decent picture. Brightness is the main issue for my projector. It has to be fairly dark out for a good image. The parameter for brightness is lumens. Pretty much every manufacturer lies about how many lumens their projector produces. If you buy one expecting it to be bright enough based on the published specs make sure you can return it if disappointed.
Tom_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:12 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I've never seen a projection TV system that was clear enough for me, but I admit I haven't seen one in several years!
Trust me in the right environment they are crystal clear and amazing. I have an Epson that was just under 1000 and it's great. HD quality. I can use it inside during the day just not outside.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
The last projector TV I saw was rather bigger than a household washing machine and a huge pain in the butt to remove from a friend's house. So he could set it on the side of the road with a "Free!" sign on it. About every projection TV I've ever seen was as least as obnoxiously large. I thought it pretty safe to assume that no one in their right mind would want such a thing in any RV and the OP simply meant a projector.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:33 AM   #13

Click image for larger version

Name:	60886276589__8155CC0E-481B-4667-9236-576414589E0E.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	309227
Old 11-26-2020, 08:27 PM   #14

Nice! Is that one 1080P?