Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2022, 03:13 PM   #43

No, a touchscreen is not necessary for Windows 11. It's almost indistinguishable from Windows 10, which is only slightly different from Vista and subsequent iterations. The differences are almost entirely cosmetic.
PLDieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2022, 03:18 PM   #44

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary P. View Post
Am I wrong? I've been looking for a new machine and focused on W10 because I'd read W11 is now subscription - cost forever. I'd rather buy it once and use it until I have to upgrade again.

I think you'll have a hard time finding a new Win 10 computer unless it's old stock or a custom build (with an activation key from ???).

Win 11 is not subscription as far as I know. Office (365) is these days but Office '07 and '10 work just fine.

Old 11-10-2022, 03:24 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemodrop9344 View Post
With regards to Windows OS upgrades, along with Microsoft Office Product upgrades........... I suspect they are a necessary evil as technology evolves.

- - - <snip> - - -

Some business entities are still using applications that require the XP version of Windows as they simply will not run on later version of the Windows OS.
Ain't that the truth. XP was the best OS they made and they went downhill after that by trying to dream up "improvements" so they could obsolete perfectly good systems and sell them again.

I still run XP on an old Inspiron laptop with a second screen. It runs 3 businesses, 3 printers, 2 scanners. With full Autocad 6 and Photoshop 8 running it would cost tens of thousands to replace them, even if you could, instead of monthly rentals.

The computer is getting OLD but I have an ideal backup system. I purchase matching old Inspirons on eBay for about $100. Swap parts as needed. And always have a spare running that is mirror image cloned weekly from the on-line computer. It has saved my businesses once already with the backup on line in 24 hours.

It moves to Harvey (2019 Jayco Greyhawk 30x) as needed.
Ann-Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 03:33 PM   #46

Just Spend the Extra money and get a Mac and you will Never be sorry
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 03:54 PM   #47

Forest River Owners Club
I would like Win11 more if . . .

I would like Win11 more if I could delete Microsoft Edge.
Dragnflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 03:55 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
What to buy...Win 11

I5 OR I7 AMD Rizien 5 or 7 ok too
500GB SSD minimum
16 GB memory
Forget touchscreen
Watch Costco and Office Depot sales coming
AnonCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 04:10 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
My Vista laptop desperatedly needs replacing and the wife's Windows 7 has gone south completely, so I've been wanting a new computer for couple of years but just no guts to tackle a new one.

Now all I see advertised has Windows 11 for OS and just wondering if those experienced with 11 can give me some hints as to what I'll be facing with a new laptop? Especially since I've put up with these 2 oldies for quite some time now.
Is it true that the 11 is mostly a touch screen, which I detest since my 2015 Newmar DS has a touch screen radio and I've never mastered that.
I've been running Windows 11 on my desktop PC for nmonths (I forgot how long). It took me no time at all to familiarize myself with it. It's definitely not the same as Windows 7, which I ran for years, but the learning curve is shallow.

I don't have a touchscreen and if you have a touch screen laptop, it's my understanding that you have the option for touch or keyboard/mouse use. Heaven knows I have enough fingerprints elsewhere to clean!
Old 11-10-2022, 04:56 PM   #50

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
…there is no "Cut" or "Paste" item pick. Only icons...
Not so. Cntrl C and Cntrl V still work. Yes I’m very old school, but some things do not change.
Old 11-10-2022, 04:59 PM   #51

I took two old laptops and made them into Chromoebooks. It replaces Windows, and works great for everything web based, and 99% of what I do.
Check out https://chromeenterprise.google/os/chromeosflex/
WE2NEW4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 05:14 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
That's primarily due to the fact that it is booting from an SSD and not an HDD. It has very little to do with Windows itself.
That's not actually true. It's a combination of factors and the fact that most systems these days come with SSDs is one of those factors, it's not the biggest reason. Bigger reasons are:
1. UEFI in place of the old BIOS
2. As with Windows 10 before it, a normal shutdown in Windows 11 is more akin to the way hibernation worked in earlier versions of Windows.

Certainly, SSDs help, but they are just one component and both Windows 10 and 11 will boot far faster even drop a hard drive IF the system is otherwise up-to-date date. For many experiencing slow boot times, it's often because they are on older systems that will run the OS but aren't really optimized for it or not configured properly. This is particularly true for people who upgraded the OS on a system that originally ran on Windows 7 or earlier.
DRAGN83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 05:15 PM   #53

Windows

We still use Windows 7 because a) it's stable. b) it works with our machinery in the business and c) it's the only version of windows that is stable with our business software. We have our computer vendor make us Windows PC's.

If your application is just personal, probably not a big deal to upgrade. If it's for business, tread carefully. my .02

Safe Travels
dbteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 05:36 PM   #54

The main difference that you will find is that most Windows computers now come with a solid state hard drive, which will boot up immediately and last longer. Otherwise, only a all percentage offer touch screens, becauseost people aren't interested in them.
thartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 05:59 PM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
My "main" computer (the one I am currently typing on) is Win7.

Other than it is officially "not supported", I see no reason to replace it. I can not upgrade to Win10 or Win11 because there are no drivers available.

For the little I do on this machine, I am very seriously thinking of going to Linux !

Does anyone know if TurboTax will run on Linux WINE ?
Here is a good reason. Microsoft has stopped support for windows 7 over a yearcago. This includes security updates. If you are using a computer running win 7 connected to the internet, you are opening yourself up to hackers and viruses. There are also many web applications that will not run on a win 7 machine due to the security risk of win 7.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 06:31 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
My Vista laptop desperatedly needs replacing and the wife's Windows 7 has gone south completely, so I've been wanting a new computer for couple of years but just no guts to tackle a new one.

Now all I see advertised has Windows 11 for OS and just wondering if those experienced with 11 can give me some hints as to what I'll be facing with a new laptop? Especially since I've put up with these 2 oldies for quite some time now.
Is it true that the 11 is mostly a touch screen, which I detest since my 2015 Newmar DS has a touch screen radio and I've never mastered that.
I I gave up those troublesome MS windows laptops and started using Android tablets 10+ years ago and never looked back. Larry, 2014 Reyo P
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, window