RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #1

Question for Cable Experts

I'm installing a TV up front on the overhead cabinets. It should be a pretty easy install since the manual switch (antenna/cable/aux) is in those cabinets.

I need to install a two-way splitter from the output of the switch box so that it will also feed the new TV. Which splitter do I need? Not sure how many dBs, etc.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2014, 08:23 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
FIRST: many of those boxes of many buttons have a spare output, might be marked AUX (Make sure it is an out) if yours does.. You are golden, hook to it..

Now: If it does not and you wish to "Repeat" your main TV.

Any good 2 way splitter, DB's will be 3.x to 6.x Avoid the sixes, you want the smallest number you can find.. Make sure it goes to at least 900MHz or 1Ghz on the top end and 50MHz on the bottom (not all do)

Alternative if you can find a "Tap-a-line" device, those are great, You need to make sure the line is properly terminated (End of the coax is either hooked to a TV or to a terminator, radio shack sells terminators).
Old 04-16-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
Community Moderator

i have two tvs (front and bedroom) so the jack antenna signal going out of signal booster needs to be splitted. i use a 2300mhz splitter (made by ge) which is working good. if you can't find a 3g splitter at least you know 2.3g is useable.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
FIRST: many of those boxes of many buttons have a spare output, might be marked AUX (Make sure it is an out) if yours does.. You are golden, hook to it..

Now: If it does not and you wish to "Repeat" your main TV.

Any good 2 way splitter, DB's will be 3.x to 6.x Avoid the sixes, you want the smallest number you can find.. Make sure it goes to at least 900MHz or 1Ghz on the top end and 50MHz on the bottom (not all do)

Alternative if you can find a "Tap-a-line" device, those are great, You need to make sure the line is properly terminated (End of the coax is either hooked to a TV or to a terminator, radio shack sells terminators).
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the box only has one output. I'll look into a low db splitter and see how it goes.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
i have two tvs (front and bedroom) so the jack antenna signal going out of signal booster needs to be splitted. i use a 2300mhz splitter (made by ge) which is working good. if you can't find a 3g splitter at least you know 2.3g is useable.
Ours has four TVs. One in the living area, one in the bedroom, and one each for the bunk beds. There are three coax going into the switch box. One from the cable jack, one from the booster, and one that feeds all of the TVs. I think I'll try a splitter on the output to see how that works. If not, I think I'll look into a video controller like this one: RV Video Control Center 5 in 3 Out w DVD QS53D Replaces Winegard vs 5312A | eBay
Old 04-17-2014, 07:42 AM   #6

I went to the basement where all the cable connections are and found two unused splitters. I have a 6-way splitter 5-1000Mhz and all 6 outputs are -9dB. The other one is a 2-way 5-1002Mhz and 3.5dB outputs.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:54 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
I went to the basement where all the cable connections are and found two unused splitters. I have a 6-way splitter 5-1000Mhz and all 6 outputs are -9dB. The other one is a 2-way 5-1002Mhz and 3.5dB outputs.
Those both look like quality splitters if you only need one more output go with the 2-way job.. 3.5DB is good and the frequency range is excellent. as I said 50 MHz to 1 GHz is enough for Over the air TV, you need a bit more for cable. The specs on this one are good. .. If you ever decide to put TV"s all over. go with the six way (or use an amplified distribution system)