Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2021, 03:38 PM   #1

Questions about portable Sat. Dish

I thought I had asked about this sometime in the past but since I can't find the post I will start again. I have Dish network and a Winegard Traveler antenna on the roof. I have a VIP222k receiver. Yes, it is old but it works fine and it controls both the living room and bedroom TVs. Now I would like to get something like a tailgater to put out when the trees are to thick.

Now the questions.

1) I have been told that there are not portables that will work with my receiver since it controls 2 tvs. I really don't care if it only controls one tv. I just want tv. Does anyone have any recommendations for one that will work?

2) When I went to hook up cable in a park yesterday I noticed there was a second connection on my rig. One says Cable and the other says Sat. If I had a portable unit would I just connect to that or do I need to run something to the back of the receiver?

I know some of this is leaving questions unanswered but I don't know what else to add at this point.

Thank you
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2021, 04:40 PM   #2

I have Dish and use two tvs simultaneously. The only catch is they can be on separate channels but must use the same satellite.

I was going to put a dome on top of my coach but the Winegard X2 is so simple to set up that I abandoned the idea. Plus, I can always find a place to get good reception with the portable.
Fogbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 04:30 AM   #3

There are a number of different portable antennas available. Some will connect to both east and west satellites, some to just west satellites. Each one has different features. The real question is how much are you willing to spend for your needs.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogbelly View Post
I have Dish and use two tvs simultaneously. The only catch is they can be on separate channels but must use the same satellite.

I was going to put a dome on top of my coach but the Winegard X2 is so simple to set up that I abandoned the idea. Plus, I can always find a place to get good reception with the portable.

Do you have 1 or 2 receivers? I only have 1.

Thanks for the response.
Old 06-19-2021, 06:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcpl View Post
There are a number of different portable antennas available. Some will connect to both east and west satellites, some to just west satellites. Each one has different features. The real question is how much are you willing to spend for your needs.

I don't understand what you mean by East and West satellites. I get 3 satellites when I push the travler button. I don't know what they are right now since I am under the trees and have to run off antenna.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:18 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bddadles View Post
I don't understand what you mean by East and West satellites. I get 3 satellites when I push the travler button. I don't know what they are right now since I am under the trees and have to run off antenna.
Dish has eastern and western arc satellites. Your traveler is designed to pick up western arc. The disadvantage of this is most HD locals east of the Mississippi are on the eastern arc. The Winegard X2 is capable of using either arc. If HD locals arenít a priority any of the tailgater dishes will work. They use western arc.
If you go to the Winegard site it will list each dish and the compatible receivers.
Boilervol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 08:25 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
As mentioned the Travler will only work on all three for the Western Arc.
You can manually tune individual Eastern Arc satellites on the Travler. I have used this a few times when Western Arc was blocked but had a clear view of Eastern Arc.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:45 AM   #8

Quote:
There are 2 different set of satellites for DISH. As mentioned Eastern arc and Western arc, eastern arc is over south Fl. and western arc is over western/southern Texas. If you are going to do lot of traveling all over the States, the Pathway X2 would be the portable. We have one and have been from the East coast to Phoenix. Once we got to San Antonio we had to change from Eastern Arc to Western Arc satellites and the DISH tech helped us to get local channels sitting in Medina Lakes outside of San Antonio.

But in this past January we had the RF Mogul antenna installed on the roof. It is very similar to the Traveler you have on your rig.
We just decided to upgrade our system and decided on the RF Mogul.
The Pathway X2 will support 2 TVs, but needs to be on the same satellite, you can use 2 different receivers. With the Pathway X2 you can change the satellites from eastern to western arc in the program. It used to be the only portable to be able to change to the different set of satellites, so it is usable across the country.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:51 AM   #9

Thank you for the reply's. I'm a full timer and the price is not the important part. It is getting something that is compatible with my old VIP222k single receiver. I mentioned earlier that getting both TVs to work is not important as long as I can get one to work. I see no reason to change from that and have to get 2 receivers as long as the one I have will do the job. I keep hearing Winegard X2. Is that the Pathway that has been mentioned?

I have sent messages to both Winegard and Dish asking about compatibility but have not heard back yet.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:03 AM   #10

This is the dish everyone is referring to. I donít have one anymore, but it was very good.

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-Path...s%2C181&sr=8-1

Quote:
Thank you for the reply's. I'm a full timer and the price is not the important part. It is getting something that is compatible with my old VIP222k single receiver. I mentioned earlier that getting both TVs to work is not important as long as I can get one to work. I see no reason to change from that and have to get 2 receivers as long as the one I have will do the job. I keep hearing Winegard X2. Is that the Pathway that has been mentioned?

I have sent messages to both Winegard and Dish asking about compatibility but have not heard back yet.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 04:10 PM   #11

I have the Winegard Pathway X2 and can confirm it is great. I have used it with a 211z and Wally receiver. According to the Winegard site is is compatible with the 211z, 211k, 211, 411 and Wally.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 04:23 PM   #12

Quote:

How old is the receiver? Trouble could be the receiver is too old to work with the new antennas and you may need to replace it.
Here is some information I have found:
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/v/vsp...yx2%20faqs.pdf
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
How old is the receiver? Trouble could be the receiver is too old to work with the new antennas and you may need to replace it.
Here is some information I have found:
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/v/vsp...yx2%20faqs.pdf

My receiver is at least 10 years old. It is so old that Dish still has it listed as a leased unit.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:38 AM   #14

Quote:
My receiver is at least 10 years old. It is so old that Dish still has it listed as a leased unit.

Your VIP222K is essentially the same as a VIP211K except it is capable of supporting two TV's with the same programming at the same time. It should work with the Winegard Pathway X2.

Tags
dish