Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2022, 06:04 AM   #1

Radio Removal Help

I have a JVC double DIN nav radio in the dash. I want to check the cable connections behind it because we lose the rear facing camera intermittently.

This mount seems different than others I've dealt with, and I don't know how to get the radio out. There are several different types of release tools, and I can't tell which type I need or where the release tool should be inserted.

FYI the picture was taken after I removed 4 screws that were in the 4 metal tabs you can see in the photo. Before I grab a bigger hammer can someone tell me how to get this out?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RadioMount.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	383463  
markpj23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2022, 06:59 AM   #2

They’re all a little different, even within the same manufacturer’s radio line-up (at least my experience with Blaupunkt).
You’ll probably be more successful finding out what shape the key is by finding the manual for your specific radio.
Old 12-29-2022, 05:41 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
This is my guess. Shine a light down the sides to see if you can tell what kind of latch there might be.

And be FOREWARNED - there may be wires that are barely long enough to plug into the radio when it is installed and NOT long enough for when you pull it out - thus causing a cable to become disconnected and making it hard to plug it back in. So REMOVE SLOWLY.
Old 12-29-2022, 06:05 PM   #4

I can't help but good luck.

I know it's an entirely different vehicle but I had to remove my whole dashboard to get my radio out.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/ford...io-541143.html
tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 10:13 PM   #5

It's most likely using the OEM cage for the radio with the locking tabs pushed out. There will be 2 latches top and bottom that hold the core of the radio in, you will need a set of flat metal spudgers to lift the latches and pull the core out. May take a lot of trying as every cage is slightly different. I would recommed looking up the documentation of the specific model radio and seeing if it shows the exact latch points to remove. You'll only need to lift them a couple of millimeters to clear the hooks in the core body.
Suburbazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 06:22 AM   #6

Thanks for all the replies here. Wish there were a standard mount similar to VESA. Although DIN is a standard there's many different mounts....
markpj23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio, removal