Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2016, 06:13 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rand McNally new product

Rand McNally's OverDryve tablet makes any car smarter
Not much this gizmo doesn't do, dash cam, tpms, mail, dictate text messages, back=up camera, phone GPS and more!
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2016, 06:26 PM   #2
YC1

Interesting. Especially if it has the RV version of the navigation.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:43 PM   #3

Doesn't look like it has any RV specific settings. The article only says car. Even says "Designed for the car"

Overdryve
Old 12-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Who needs that type of tablet in their car nowadays? Most cars today come with that functionality and if you have an older car you can just download those applications to your smart phone. I think RandMcNally is missing the boat here. It would make way more sense for them to just release an app and stay away from the hardware business.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:29 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rand Mcnally new product

Everyone that bought their app was left high and dry when they abandoned the market. Not sure I would trust them again.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:22 AM   #6

I just bought a motorhome last month in Florida and drove it home over a thousand miles using googlemaps on my phone because I forgot to pack my Garmin GPS. It worked mostly, except when I was in an area with no data service, then things got a bit flaky as it would not let me restart routing if I accidentally exited. Also some of its routing choices are not really that great, google maps seems to want to either force you to take interstate highways or wants to route you down little county roads if they are available to take shortcuts such as when you are approaching an intersection with a highway you need to turn onto. It also does not like to take no when it offers a faster route, often offering 3 or 4 times in the course of a few minutes.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:26 AM   #7
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I just bought a motorhome last month in Florida and drove it home over a thousand miles using googlemaps on my phone because I forgot to pack my Garmin GPS. It worked mostly, except when I was in an area with no data service, then things got a bit flaky as it would not let me restart routing if I accidentally exited. Also some of its routing choices are not really that great, google maps seems to want to either force you to take interstate highways or wants to route you down little county roads if they are available to take shortcuts such as when you are approaching an intersection with a highway you need to turn onto. It also does not like to take no when it offers a faster route, often offering 3 or 4 times in the course of a few minutes.

Check out the "Waze" app for your phone. It works extremely well.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:01 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have a Rand McNally RV GPS, after that junk I'm hesitant to buy anything from those crooks. Sorry, I'm still bitter 3 years later, huge waste of money and no customer support.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:09 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I would need the unit to have LDWS before I would purchase any dashcam equipment. I personally like the "Transcend 220" for this purpose.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:26 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Making money making hardware...not so easy.
2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101DS travel trailer & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts of WindyNation solar (parallel) with MPPT controller, 2 Trojan T-125s, TALL flagpole and a great attitude…SoCal based. Perfer USFS, BLM, COE, USF&WS, NPS & state park campgrounds.
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:54 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
i bought the iPad app it didn't work apple refunded the money and i bought a good sams rand mcnally stand alone unit and it has worked great
Gordiegaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:04 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordiegaffer View Post
i bought the iPad app it didn't work apple refunded the money and i bought a good sams rand mcnally stand alone unit and it has worked great
And for those like me that couldn't get a refund from Apple, you can contact Rand McNally and get a refund from them.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:40 PM   #13

We had purchased the RM ipad app and with no updates for a few years now have decided to put away the ipad and mount the android tablet that has copilot loaded on it and relearn that one. The RM has messed me up lately because of the lack of updates/support.

2013 Newmar Ventana 3634
gmpartsvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:35 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Waze, get's it info from Google Maps/Driving.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote