Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2022, 01:47 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Recent Windows issues and how to fix them

This information and these procedures apply to both Windows 10 and Windows 11.

Microsoft recently released two Windows 11 updates with bugs that can cause some programs to no longer function. For me, my email client (Mailbird) and cloud backup (Amazon Photos) would no longer open and my automatic backup process no longer worked. There may be updates to Windows 10 that caused similar problems. If so, these will have different KB numbers than the ones listed below but will have similar descriptions and similar procedures to fix the problems.

For my Windows 11 system, the problem causing updates are Microsoft KB5013628 (2022-05 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 11 for x64) and KB5013943 (2022-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems). There are a number of different fixes that can be found online. Most are complicated to do, the numerous steps must be taken in the exact order, and you need to enter exact Command Prompts. If not done correctly they can further mess up your system. I thought that surely there must be an easier way and, after some experimentation, I found it.

Here is a general summary of what I found and what I did to resolve the issues:

On my laptop I started by downloading and installing the two listed updates. After installing I got a partially functioning Blue Screen of Death. I could only boot up with limited use. Next, I checked for functionality and discovered that the two programs mentioned above would not open and some other functions were not working correctly. Rebooting did not help. I turned my laptop off, inserted my external boot drive, and rebooted. My laptop asked if I wanted to enter safe mode and I selected yes. I selected several troubleshooters to identify and fix the configuration issues Safe Mode would allow me to fix, then exited and turned my computer off. I removed my boot drive and rebooted. The Blue Screen was gone but I still could not open the non-working programs. Later I found that one of my .NET framework selections was on and the other was off. Fixing that and a few more things fixt the problem.

I’m sure you already know this but never, ever remove a USB drive or disconnect an external device such as a camera unless you eject it first or your computer is turned off. Failure to do so can corrupt the data on that drive and make it unretrievable.

Here are the steps you need to perform:

First, create a Restore Point (Step 1). If something gets messed up while you are fixing your computer issues you can easily go back to your Restore Point, which is the configuration when you started this process, and you can start it again. When a Restore Point is created you can name it and it will automatically be date and time stamped, so it’s easy to find. Sometimes a computer will automatically create Restore Points and you can use those if desired. Restoring puts everything back the way they were when you started this process, however, it doesn’t fix anything.

Second, create an external Boot drive (Step 2).

Initially, after installing the updates, when I restarted my laptop I got the Blue Screen of Death with limited functionality, so I rebooted into safe mode (step 3). If your computer boots up normally you can skip step 3 but create a Restore Point and Boot drive anyway.

1. How to create a Restore Point.
a. Select Control Panel.
b. Select Security and Maintenance.
c. Select Recovery.
d. Select Configure System Restore.
e. Select Create.
f. Create a name. I would name it something like “Before Update Issues”.
g. Select Create.
h. Wait while the process completes.

2. How to make a Windows Recovery Drive (USB boot drive).
a. Plug in an empty but formatted USB drive with 16 GB or greater capacity. When you first plug the
drive in and select it, formatting will be one of your choices. Formatting will, however, erase anything
already on the drive. If your drive is already formatted you can safely remove any folders or files you
want and leave others on the drive. For this drive I recommend that you start with an empty drive.
b. Select Control Panel.
c. Select Security and Maintenance.
d. Select Recovery.
e. Select Create a Recovery Drive.
f. Select Yes.
g. Wait until the process completes.

3. Now would be a good time to backup any critical files like documents, music, videos, etc onto
external drives, just in case something happens while you are fixing your update issues. It you do
this, use USB drives and use a separate drive for each category. If you use a single drive everything on
it will be saved as a jumble of files and folders. To find out how much drive you need, right click on
each category (documents for example), then select Properties and you will see how much file space
is currently used for that category. For example, my music uses 17 GB of space, my pictures use 23
GB, but my documents only use 2.5 GB. If you use automatic cloud storage you can skip this step. I
use Amazon Photos for my cloud backup. As soon as I save a document or add a song it goes to
Amazon’s servers immediately. I don’t know why they renamed it Photos because I backup
everything to it.
a. Plug in the appropriate size USB drive.
b. Format if needed.
c. Name the drive if desired. I just use pictures, videos, etc.
d. Drag the category to the drive.
e. Wait until the process completes.

4. How to restart in Safe Mode. Note that Safe Mode allows only limited computer functionality.
a. Turn your computer off.
b. Plug in your external USB drive with Windows 11 (or Windows 10) boot installed. If you don’t have a
USB Boot drive then create one per step 2 and keep it handy. Windows 10 and Windows 11 Boot
drives should be identical so either should work.
c. Select Safe Mode and restart your computer. It will automatically look for the boot program on a
USB drive. If you don’t have the USB drive plugged in your computer will next look for boot on your
hard drive or SSD drive.

4. How to fix what is causing the problem.
a. Select the Control Panel.
b. Select Programs.
c. Select Programs and Features.
d. Select Turn Windows Features On or Off.
e. The top selection is .NET Framework 3.5
f. The next selection is .NET Framework 4.8.
g. Make sure that both are checked and have a blue box. These are what are causing the problems.
h. Select OK.

5. How to delete existing updates.
a. Select Settings.
b. Windows Update.
c. Select Update History.
d. Scroll down to Related Settings.
e. Select Uninstall Updates.
f. Select the updates by KB number or installation date and select Uninstall.

6. Finishing up.
a. Reboot your laptop normally (no external USB Boot drive plugged in).
b. Test your apps.
c. Download and reinstall the updates.
d. Your computer should now be functioning correctly with the security and other updates installed.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2022, 06:41 PM   #2

I'm 5 weeks into owning a laptop with ; W-11 and regret my purchase .

Tags
wind, window