Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2020, 06:36 PM   #1
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Recording issues with DirecTV

We have had directv since approx 2014 and use the H24 receiver recorder. About 3-4 weeks ago, I noticed that when watching a recorded program, the program/picture/sound will freeze approx 2-3 seconds before stating back up. This seems to be happening on just about every program that we have recorded. Any ideas on why this may be happening? TIA. Have not had this happen when watching live programing.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2020, 06:39 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
We have had directv since approx 2014 and use the H24 receiver recorder. About 3-4 weeks ago, I noticed that when watching a recorded program, the program/picture/sound will freeze approx 2-3 seconds before stating back up. This seems to be happening on just about every program that we have recorded. Any ideas on why this may be happening? TIA. Have not had this happen when watching live programing.

The hard drive is going bad. You are going to lose all the stuff you have saved, and you will need a new receiver.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:41 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You probably have a failing hard drive. The had drive has a finite life span. You need to replace your receiver.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:12 PM   #4
YC1

If you have a techie friend they may be able to clone you a new hard drive and while at it make it a solid state on that is even larger.

Changing out a HD itself was not a problem on mine. I don't keep a lot of programming so I just dropped a new hard drive in place and fired it up. It took some time but it managed to rebuild itself just fine.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:18 AM   #5

Something similar happened to me maybe four years ago. I decided not to delete the program that had the replay issues so that part of the hard drive could not be used again.

Seemed to do the trick. I know that not exactly a scientific solution given how HD's allocate space, but it seemed to work in my case.
X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:32 AM   #6
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
I kind of suspected it might be the HD as we've had this receiver since 2014 or so and over many road miles. Was thinking about going to Dish but it would be less of an inconveniance to maybe just get a replacement from DirecTv/Att along with another (2) yr
contract. Changing to Dish would require us to do the LNB arm swap out amongst things for around $350+-. Decisions, decisions.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:27 AM   #7

I agree with the others, your hard drive is likely starting to fail. Leaving a bad recording to take up that spot on the disk might help block the bad sector.

But before you decide to replace the HR24 DVR, you do have some options at least. Look at the https://www.weaknees.com website.

• Send them your DVR and have them copy and replace your internal HD. For a fee they can copy your existing programming, assuming your DVR is working. (And it apparently is.)
  • Replace the hard drive with an external SATA drive. This bypasses your existing internal HD completely. If you send them your DVR, they can copy your existing programming for a fee. Or just get the blank HD (with Directv software included), plug it in yourself, and start over. (I got the dual drive option.)
  • Replace your HR24. They cannot copy your existing programming to a new DVR. (The HR24 will likely be rebuilt, not new.) This will extend your contract 2 years. The above hard drive replacement options would not.
  • If you don't already have a Genie DVR on your contract, they will likely replace your DVR with a HR44 or HR54. If you already have a Genie, they will NOT add a second one. Again, this will extend your contract.
  • Switch to Dish. They use the same hard drives, so eventually they might fail too.
Your choice will likely come down to whether you want to keep your existing programming or whether you want to extend your contract another two years. You can see the prices on the Weaknees website. I have used Weaknees in the past to purchase equipment and upgrades. I have not tried their copy service. (My DRV's were dead.)
Old 09-19-2020, 07:31 PM   #8
YC1

I believe the hard drive inside is a simple plug and play. Drives are cheap and maybe someone has one to let you at least try. And if they do, they would know how to do a simple swap.

Of course as mentioned, you would lose current programs.

Old 09-20-2020, 01:38 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The problem with just replacing the drive is the operating system is installed on it by the manufacturer. If you replace just the drive the receiver will not boot up and run. You night Google and see if there are companies who can supply a drive with the OS installed.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 01:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Postma View Post
The problem with just replacing the drive is the operating system is installed on it by the manufacturer. If you replace just the drive the receiver will not boot up and run. You night Google and see if there are companies who can supply a drive with the OS installed.
Very true.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:38 PM   #11
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Postma View Post
I could be wrong because it was years ago. I could have used a cloning software to spark up the new one but I seem to think the DTV box had the ability to rebuild the operating system on the drive.

In any case, I would sure use a solid state drive to replace the old record player.

Tags
directv