Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2022, 09:38 AM   #1

Remote RV Temperature Monitoring

We'll be traveling with dogs and need to remotely monitor temperature in the RV while away.

What temperature sensors are you using? Need either Alexa or Apple HomeKit enabled. Prefer not to go with a unit that requires a separate cell plan.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2022, 09:43 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We chose to no go Wi-Fi or internet enabled units as the service is so bad in most places. We went to Marcell and chose the Verizon module. We have used this all over the USA and have not had any issues. The yearly service is not terribly expensive for the security it provides for the pets.

MARCELL

Or you can try the web based system...
Cheaper web based

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:53 AM   #3

My blink camera from Amazon has a temperature readout as well, but does require good WiFi. If my pets safety was at stake, I would have multiple ways to read the temperature.
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 12:27 PM   #4

Take a look at the Micro-Air EasyTouch RV thermostat. It does require you to have a good WiFi signal if you want to monitor the temperature when you are away from the coach, but that is probably true of monitoring solution. (It does not need WiFi to operate, just to operate remotely.) You can set it to notify you if the temperature inside the coach exceeds a pre-set temperature.

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...-rv-thermostat

Obviously your biggest concern will probably be if you lose power for your A/C while you are gone, so you need to have a WiFi system that will still operate in the event of a power failure in order to send the notification.
Old 07-03-2022, 12:36 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
If you have WiFi in the coach, the RV Whisper system is a possibility and is working quite well for us. There are available temperature sensors, motion detectors, battery monitors and will even connect to the Hughes Power Watchdog. I can get a text message if the coach loses power or if one of the temperature sensors is out of range. Like any other remote monitor system, it does require an active hotspot, cell or WiFi connection. I have my MoFi cell hotspot connected directly to the 12v supply so it's independent of shore power.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:20 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
looking for information on which MicroAir thermostat would be needed for a 2021 Allegro Bus 45OPP.. anyone have that coach and install a MicroAir thermostat?
HAM - K5OJT - Yaesu 991A
GUS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:32 AM   #7

Look at thermote sensors. I really like these. I use them in a commercial setting to monitor cooler and freezer temps where we need to data log the temperatures.
You can set a high and low threshold, how often it checks the sensor and how often it reports it.

You can view the temps thru your phone and if they reach your threshold it will send you a txt alert and/or an email.

Of course you need an internet connection because all this data is sent back to the companies cloud servers, where it keeps a report of your temps for at least a month. Which I know probably isn't a selling point for monitoring RV temps.
But definitely check it out. They are based out of New York so your data should be safeish. ie it's not going to China..
I would get one for myself without blinking.
I don't do home assistants so I have no clue if it works with any of them but really that shouldn't stop you from getting this sensor, it doesn't require a separate plan, it just needs a wifi connection attached to the internet connection, Be that your phone hot spot or whatever you use. It doesn't need a special hub or anything extra..
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:45 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
for remote monitoring, we have been using RV Whisper and it has been solid since installation!

https://rvwhisper.com
HAM - K5OJT - Yaesu 991A
Old 07-04-2022, 09:40 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee325 View Post
We'll be traveling with dogs and need to remotely monitor temperature in the RV while away.

What temperature sensors are you using? Need either Alexa or Apple HomeKit enabled. Prefer not to go with a unit that requires a separate cell plan.
The microair site lets you put in rig info to get the right one.
Later...
Ray
RayandWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:48 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
but the MicroAir site doesnt allow for the Spyder system to be chosen as the control/thermostat...

gonna keep digging
HAM - K5OJT - Yaesu 991A
Old 07-05-2022, 06:32 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you have dependable full-time internet service in the coach, then a simple smart-home temp sensor should suffice.

I don't have any pets, but I keep a lot of high-end wine in my MH, so I keep an eye on temps when we have to park with no electrical connection. I have a Pepwave cellular router with 3 cellular services (AT&T, T-Mobile & Verizon), which are set up in the Pepwave to roll over in sequence if one fails out. Where there is cellular service in the area, I've always had remote access to my coach via cell phone or internet.

I installed this Zigbee smarthome hub with this temperature sensor. I can monitor temperatures via their app.

I also have a Victron Energy Cerbo GX unit with 3 temperature sensors, one of which is inside the coach. I can also remotely monitor temperatures through this system. I have taken this one step further to use the Cerbo GX for remote generator start. I can start and stop my generator from anywhere via the Victron app. With the AC units set correctly, I can turn on the generator from anywhere and cool the coach down.
pvcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:00 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUS2000 View Post
looking for information on which MicroAir thermostat would be needed for a 2021 Allegro Bus 45OPP.. anyone have that coach and install a MicroAir thermostat?
You cannot use a MicroAir thermostat or any other add on thermostat in a 2021 Allegro Bus. Since the 2018 models, all control of the A/C units is done through the Spyder system. I believe Firefly makes a remote operation system that will tie into the Spyder. The original remote system was the CoachProxy which is no longer being made.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 04:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
If you have WiFi in the coach, the RV Whisper system is a possibility and is working quite well for us. There are available temperature sensors, motion detectors, battery monitors and will even connect to the Hughes Power Watchdog. I can get a text message if the coach loses power or if one of the temperature sensors is out of range. Like any other remote monitor system, it does require an active hotspot, cell or WiFi connection. I have my MoFi cell hotspot connected directly to the 12v supply so it's independent of shore power.
This looks to be a good alternative. I have a WiFi extender with an external antenna on the MH. If WiFi at the location is not available, I've got a WiFi hot spot from either of our phones we could use if cell service is available. Obviously, if neither cell or WiFi is available, I'm not monitoring anything in the coach while miles away. Putting faith in AGS at that point!

Full capability does require a subscription, but at about $4/mo, more reasonable than another full cell subscription.
Old 07-10-2022, 08:18 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We can remotely connect to our coach to check temperature and turn on air or heat. But it does not actively alert us if we have a problem.

For that we use temp-stick. It is designed just for your concern. A simple box that runs on wi-fi and will text and email you when your temperature gets above or below your specified temperature.

Simple, cheap, easy, and small. But you need wifi from a hotspot, your coach, or some source for temp stick to work. It needs a double a battery about every 9 months.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor, remote, temperature