Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2021, 11:30 AM   #1

Remote workers, How much Data do YOU use per day?

Howdy.

Not a technical question, or a how-to, but I got curious and thought I'd cast a net to see what others actual experience says.

For context, I work fully remote and have for many many years. We have started to travel more often and more extensively the last year or two. Two weeks or so on the road at a time has been the extent of it so far, but we will probably be doing longer trips in the near future. In addition to work activities, we stream music and video as a normal course of our evening and daytime activities.

In order to ensure connectivity, our "system" leverages Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T. When "working", we don't stay at places without one, or better two reliable providers. When "vacationing" ... all bets are off!

I don't rely on camp wifi, as I can count on one finger of one hand the times we had excellent camp wifi.

In any case, I just aggregated the past two weeks of data to see how much I use on a typical work day across all my providers.

On average, a typical work weekday eats up about 10 GB of data.

For you heavy use workers, how much data per day do you use, on average?
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2021, 02:21 PM   #2
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
The last few years my wife worked (28 years and never went to an office) we had a 20 gig plan. 90% of the time she would log into to her home computer via a remote access program then do her work from it. Most all downloads, emails with attachments and so on were done on her desktop. Likely not the fastest method but worked for her. Couple of times we had to have someone go to the house and kick the desktop.

The only time we ever had to buy more data was if we streamed too much.

Might be something to look at.
Old 07-24-2021, 02:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
The last few years my wife worked (28 years and never went to an office) we had a 20 gig plan. 90% of the time she would log into to her home computer via a remote access program then do her work from it. Most all downloads, emails with attachments and so on were done on her desktop. Likely not the fastest method but worked for her. Couple of times we had to have someone go to the house and kick the desktop.

The only time we ever had to buy more data was if we streamed too much.

Might be something to look at.
That's not a solution for me and work. What I have in place works perfectly for now. Looking at data log time stamps, maybe 60-75% of my data is work, and the balance is entertainment.

I am really just curious how much data other well connected travelers are using. 20 GB would last me two days.
Old 07-24-2021, 07:05 PM   #4
NXR

Having administered remote access systems for many years it really does depend on how that remote access is setup, as the two of you have already noted. Many corporations and organizations have gone to remote desktops to keep the data in-house, others do not. Some apps are astonishing data hogs while others are very lightweight.

Interestingly, one of the major uses of data in the non-remote desktop configuration is the pushing of patches and updates, group policy downloads and updates, etc. That's stuff that is very organization-dependent and that the user has no control over because it happens automatically and in the background.

Ray
Old 07-26-2021, 07:44 AM   #5

On average 2-3 GB per day, exclusive of entertainment. AT&T primary, Verizon backup. Use RV park for entertainment if available.
lemodrop9344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:12 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Klompus View Post
In addition to work activities, we stream music and video as a normal course of our evening and daytime activities.
That is our normal day - work and streaming for us is between 15 and 20 gig & a high monthly of 850.

Have to keep the DW happy -
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:45 AM   #7

Long story, but AT&T internet at my old office was terrible, old copper, no plans by AT&T to update to fiberoptic in near future. AT&T could not tell me how much I used. One day, internet went down, I have to use phone hot spot. In course of a day, I burned through all of my high speed data on a 10 gig per month plan.(Not sure how much I had left when the day started. )

Your numbers sound about right.

I have never had reliable internet in a campground where I stayed, and often didn't even have cell phone service, despite fact I carry an AT&T and a Sprint/T-Mobile phone. On one campout, granddaughter needed to turn in her homework by midnight on a Friday night. Neither of my phones nor her dad's Verizon phone had service at the state park, her dad made the sacrifice to take her to an Applebees in town and drink beer while she did her homework.

I can't imagine how you can guarantee decent internet service while on the road at most campgrounds.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:53 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
This is going to be a situation that's almost impossible to answer accurately, as everyone's usage is different. When I was full-timing, my wife and I both worked from our RV. We pulled anywhere from 450-550 gig a month on our Mobley.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike625 View Post
That is our normal day - work and streaming for us is between 15 and 20 gig & a high monthly of 850.

Have to keep the DW happy -
That's the type of answer I was looking for!

I will add, If I include my wife, my ~10GB moves to "10-15".
Old 07-26-2021, 12:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
This is going to be a situation that's almost impossible to answer accurately, as everyone's usage is different. When I was full-timing, my wife and I both worked from our RV. We pulled anywhere from 450-550 gig a month on our Mobley.
I disagree completely.

It is entirely possible to answer accurately for each individual, which is what I was asking. You even did it successfully! Thank you!
Old 07-26-2021, 12:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post

I can't imagine how you can guarantee decent internet service while on the road at most campgrounds.
FWIW, as I said originally, if I can't guarantee coverage, I am not working. That's "vacationing".

From my OP:
Quote:
In order to ensure connectivity, our "system" leverages Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T. When "working", we don't stay at places without one, or better two reliable providers. When "vacationing" ... all bets are off!
Old 07-26-2021, 12:26 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Klompus View Post
I disagree completely.

It is entirely possible to answer accurately for each individual, which is what I was asking. You even did it successfully! Thank you!
Let's just say I'm a VERY heavy user though.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:08 PM   #13

Attached are screen captures of my router data for the last 30 days. This is 3 people using various tools/toys on the network. This combined data is since I added/switched most of my traffic over to Starlink. The other screen capture only shows the same period filtered for just the traffic that went over my Verizon 4g path. The router will use Starlink for ~90% of the traffic except for Zoom session that is setup to always go out the Verizon connection due to not being especially tolerant of Starlink losing a satellite periodically.
Historically before I got Starlink I would run around 80-100 gig per month.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	julyusage.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	337349   Click image for larger version

Name:	4gLTEtraffic.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	337351  

riverofcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:32 PM   #14

My daily work usage is 4 - 6gb per day. When on the road I will turn off the camera in meetings and use audio only when possible. I also do a lot of RDP, Citrix, and downloading logs for evaluation.

Our daily entertainment is also 4 - 6gb per day. We only do streaming for tv. Our normal monthly usage is 350 - 450gb while we are snowbirding.

I use AT&T and Sprint hotspots with AT&T doing the heavy lifting. Occasionally Sprint will have better connectivity than AT&T so we will use that hotspot.

Mike
mikelcan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remote