Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2021, 01:30 PM   #1

Remove Bedroom TV?

We recently purchased a 2006 National RV SeaBreeze. Overall it's in really good shape.

I want to take the old heavy Panasonic CRT TV out of the bedroom, but it appears to be strapped down with a thin metal strap. There isn't enough room to fit your hand over the top of the TV, but when I lift the front end I can see the straps underneath. Either one on each side, or one strap that goes over the top. There are two circular holes drilled in the wooden base the TV is sitting on that the straps go into, but there is no access to them from the cabinet underneath as that cabinet has it's own "ceiling" board.

Pictures attached.

Anyone have any advice? I've been searching for the last 30 minutes or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5304.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	344181   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5306.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	344182  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5305.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	344183  
BZLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2021, 01:38 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you tried to see over the top of the TV? If you can fit your hand in there you might find a way to unhook the strap. Do you have a endoscope camera that you can use to see the top?
Old 09-25-2021, 01:45 PM   #3

I'd try removing the lid of the next cabinet down to gain access to the bottom of the TV shelf.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:14 PM   #4

Most of those ceiling boards are only stapled in place. If you look close enough you should see the staples and either pull them using a set of neetlenose pliers, or you might have to pry with a thin bladed screwdriver to get started.

Bill
bneiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 02:30 PM   #5

^^^ Are you referring to the ceiling of the cabinet below? Should be an easy removal.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:57 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZLuck View Post
We recently purchased a 2006 National RV SeaBreeze. Overall it's in really good shape.

I want to take the old heavy Panasonic CRT TV out of the bedroom, but it appears to be strapped down with a thin metal strap. There isn't enough room to fit your hand over the top of the TV, but when I lift the front end I can see the straps underneath. Either one on each side, or one strap that goes over the top. There are two circular holes drilled in the wooden base the TV is sitting on that the straps go into, but there is no access to them from the cabinet underneath as that cabinet has it's own "ceiling" board.

Pictures attached.

Anyone have any advice? I've been searching for the last 30 minutes or so.
Looking at your pictures, since you can lift it up enough to take that picture of the straps, canít you reach in with a knife and cut them?

Itís not like your going to need them for the next tv.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
Looking at your pictures, since you can lift it up enough to take that picture of the straps, can’t you reach in with a knife and cut them?

It’s not like your going to need them for the next tv.

Good thought but the OP stated it's a thin metal strap? Maybe a long metal cutting saws all would work, but risks damage to the tv shelf.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Have you tried to see over the top of the TV? If you can fit your hand in there you might find a way to unhook the strap. Do you have a endoscope camera that you can use to see the top?

I can *kinda* feel around on the top of the TV, and it feels like the straps are actually connected to the sides of the TV. Certainly not something that an adult arm could get a tool into and turn it. My wife is pretty petite and she confirmed that she could feel the straps, but not anything that was connecting them, but they were connected somehow.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:14 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Good thought but the OP stated it's a thin metal strap? Maybe a long metal cutting saws all would work, but risks damage to the tv shelf.
I'd use a hacksaw blade. If not enough room for the hacksaw then just the blade held in a pair of pliers or vice grips.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneiva View Post
Most of those ceiling boards are only stapled in place. If you look close enough you should see the staples and either pull them using a set of neetlenose pliers, or you might have to pry with a thin bladed screwdriver to get started.

Bill

I don't see any staples, but I will try to wedge a butter knife or something into one of the edges tomorrow and see if that gets me anywhere. It seems pretty solid. Thin, but solid.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
I'd use a hacksaw blade. If not enough room for the hacksaw then just the blade held in a pair of pliers or vice grips.
Thought about that as my first solution, and then said, "Nah, there MUST be an easier way."

I mean if I took it into a dealership and wanted to pay for a TV upgrade, I doubt they would spend 20-30 minutes per side slowly sawing through those metal straps holding a blade with vice grips.
Old 09-25-2021, 05:22 PM   #12

What's on the other side of that wall behind the TV? May be able to open that to get to back of TV.

2000 Monaco Executive. 350 Cummins.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 06:34 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
So a hacksaw blade and vice grips
Old 09-25-2021, 06:36 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZLuck View Post
Thought about that as my first solution, and then said, "Nah, there MUST be an easier way."

I mean if I took it into a dealership and wanted to pay for a TV upgrade, I doubt they would spend 20-30 minutes per side slowly sawing through those metal straps holding a blade with vice grips.
I have a cordless saws all with a 24Ē blade ind my basement compartment. Come on over. Iíll have it out in 5 minutes.