Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2021, 09:02 AM   #1

Replacement 55” TV

What is the best 55" Replacement TV for 5er Have jensen now
rbuttolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2021, 01:53 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I prefer Samsung or Sony. Jensen has always been known for cheap, low-quality electronic products.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:39 PM   #3

When I went to upgrade the TV in our RV I shopped for it the same way I shopped for one for the house. Looked at reviews, features, size, weight, and cost. Tried to shop for ones I could see on display. Found one I liked that would fit and that was that. So much of it is personal choice.

The one we got came with a very simple remote that didn't have a numeric keypad and I was worried that would be a problem, it hasn't been. Don't have channels when streaming, and when using satellite, it's remote has a number pad.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:57 PM   #4

I bought a 55" Samsung Crystal from Costco. Nice!!
Old 12-22-2021, 04:00 PM   #5

Suggestions in previous post are on the mark. Also consider looking at big box stores like Sam's Club and Costco where you can see many models side by side such as LG, Samsung, Vizio, TCL, etc. Just be aware that most TVs have a "display" video setting that enhances brightness, contrast, etc. That is to say that it may look different in your setup than it did on the display floor.
B52Rnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 12:07 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
12v?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbuttolph View Post
What is the best 55" Replacement TV for 5er Have jensen now
Did you get AC or 12v TV?
Titanium2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 12:29 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Samsung. You want a TV that you can download your local cable channel's app along with built in Apple Air Play if you have an Apple smart device or whatever Android is using these days.

I don't like the LG or Sony menu / menu systems.

Vizio is a good choice.

Stay away from TCL, Hisense, Jenson & whatever Walmart is selling from a pallet in the middle isle.

Pay attention to the number of inputs and type of output if you plan to connect sound systems and lots of devices.
Old 01-01-2022, 12:50 PM   #8

I tend to not really follow the anecdotal experiences of others that have had like one or two TV's/ That said, I have sworn off Samsung. Firstly because every single product I've owned with their name on it has been mediocre, at best. Then I had one of their mediocre Blu-Ray players and it was the last straw. Hulu and then Netflix updated their applications (built into the player) but the player couldn't update with them. Samsung with their proprietary operating system decided they weren't going to bother to update the player. So in order to watch what I was paying for, Samsung's alternative was to buy a new player or use something else. Never again.
Vizio did basically the exact same thing with a smart TV we have. Now retired to use for kid's game boxes. Proprietary operating system and no recourse.

The best answer to this is a TV that uses Android TV. It's universal enough that you should never get stuck with dead outdated apps ever. Second choice would be something with Roku. Roku has been pretty good (so far) about not leaving their technology behind. I will never buy a TV with a proprietary operating system again.

Some good Android choices are Sony and Hisense. I've got three TCL's with Roku working and they seem to be good value for the price.

But if you REALLY want to know what the best TV is for your wants, needs, and budget, go here:
https://www.rtings.com/tv
GypsyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 01:12 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
TCL TV's rate quite well. If you want a really sharp picture, and don't mind paying for it, LG OLED TV !
Old 01-02-2022, 11:35 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Seriously the best answer is to get the lightest, cheapest LED TV that supports 4K, which is pretty much every one of them these days. All the comments above are spot on as TVs with built-in "Smartness" are subject to being obsolete pretty much as soon as you take it home!

With that being said take my advice and get a firestick from Amazon for $25-40 and it will have the best processor with the most choices, an external ROKU device also fits this bill but they are ~$100.

We have upgraded 3 older TVs that still have great pics but technology has passed them by a $19 Firestick (Cyber Monday) has breathed new life into all of them.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 11:45 AM   #11
Community Moderator

We have the Summit TV that came with the rig. All 4 of them are still working very well since we have been full time since June 2019.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 06:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
Seriously the best answer is to get the lightest, cheapest LED TV that supports 4K, which is pretty much every one of them these days. All the comments above are spot on as TVs with built-in "Smartness" are subject to being obsolete pretty much as soon as you take it home!

With that being said take my advice and get a firestick from Amazon for $25-40 and it will have the best processor with the most choices, an external ROKU device also fits this bill but they are ~$100.

We have upgraded 3 older TVs that still have great pics but technology has passed them by a $19 Firestick (Cyber Monday) has breathed new life into all of them.
I agree with Paul. As long as the TV is at least 1080i and has an HDMI input, a light, cheap, and dumb TV is fine. The dumber the better. I use an Nvidia Shield instead of the Firestick or Roku, but same result. Connect those devices to the internet instead of connecting the TV to the internet.

LED TV's are cheap enough to be considered disposable. Get one that fits and mount it as you see fit. Then do a little bit of reading on how to properly adjust the picture for the lighting conditions in your coach. I bought a Hisense TV and the picture is fine. Not as good as my home OLED TV, but not much really is. And they don't make one that would fit in my coach.
Old 01-03-2022, 07:07 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Just purchased a QN55 at Costco which is QLED. It has has free Samsung TV which is about 200 free streaming channels that has some pretty good movies.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 02:30 PM   #14

OLED or QLED tv is the best
buc1908 is offline   Reply With Quote