Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2008, 12:04 PM   #1

HELP!!! Our main TV in our motorhome quit working (37 inch Panasonic). We are looking at replacing it with a 32 inch.

Brand suggestions?
(Vizio, LG, Toshiba, Sony, Sceptre, Panasonic, Sharp, Samsung????)
What do you have in your coach?
Problems?
Brands to stay away from?

Thanks for any suggestions!!
zeedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2008, 12:04 PM   #2

HELP!!! Our main TV in our motorhome quit working (37 inch Panasonic). We are looking at replacing it with a 32 inch.

Brand suggestions?
(Vizio, LG, Toshiba, Sony, Sceptre, Panasonic, Sharp, Samsung????)
What do you have in your coach?
Problems?
Brands to stay away from?

Thanks for any suggestions!!
Old 08-18-2008, 02:11 PM   #3

I have a Sony Bravia 32" at home that has a wonderful picture, especially in HD.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:37 PM   #4

Can you not find a replacement 37" Panasonic? It seems that this would be the most efficient replacement.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:40 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Zeedogs welcome to IRV2, it is great to have you in our RV community

As Bill stated, it might be better to get another 37 inch Panasonic. When I wanted to switch over to a HDTV in the MH, I looked for a long time at all models. The one thing they a had in common was the problem of installing it so that it matched the decor and gave me access to the connections.

I finally purchased the 27 inch Sharp and it has been trouble free, great picture and sound.

Click HERE for more info on my installation.

You can do a search on this topic using the "Find" button at the top of the forum page. There are a few other folks who have done this.

Let us know how it goes or if you need help.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:00 AM   #6

My 26" Sharp HDMI HDTV Monitor works great!! But I took the whole front cabinet assembly down and out. I ran all wiring and insulated the front cap. Paneled the unfinished walls and ceiling with printed hardboard that matches walls elsewhere. The Monitor hangs from a steel roof channel via t-hinges these hinges are attached to two ball bearing drawer slides that are mounted to Monitor. Two quality storm door closers were attached to the hinge-slide assembly to hold the Monitor up for travel, and for lowering to a more comfortable viewing angle when parked. Two gate latches are attached to aluminum u-channel that is mounted low on the Monitor back. These keep the Monitor up and locked for travel. Of course, this is a custom job, but I feel great not so much for the Monitor upgrade, but for having insulated an area that was a source of heat gain. Good Luck!!
Old 08-19-2008, 05:59 AM   #7

My coach (Alpine) also has a Panasonic 37". It is a plasma monitor, not a TV (no tuner, no speakers).

Panasonic has continued to make new monitors in this size with better displays. Given the unique AV components and connections for a monitor --as well as mounting issues-- I had figured any future replacement for me would be a newer Panasonic monitor.

But, maybe an LCD would offer less power consumption and perhaps better longevity.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:48 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim&MaryJo:
My coach (Alpine) also has a Panasonic 37". It is a plasma monitor, not a TV (no tuner, no speakers).

Panasonic has continued to make new monitors in this size with better displays. Given the unique AV components and connections for a monitor --as well as mounting issues-- I had figured any future replacement for me would be a newer Panasonic monitor.

But, maybe an LCD would offer less power consumption and perhaps better longevity. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks so much for responding. We also have an '04 Alpine FDDS. We have enjoyed the Panasonic Plasma TV (other than it does take a lot of power to use and my husband is bugged by having to have the VCR on for the TV to work) but last weekend it turned off for no apparent reason. When we tried to turn it on, the green light near the switch on the TV would come on and then almost instantly the red light would come on. I took the TV monitor by a TV repair place this AM so will see what he has to say. Since it is a 2003 model he wasn't sure they could get parts for it. Thanks again for the response and suggestion.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:36 AM   #9

As a monitor, it needs a separate tuner (in the VCR) to tune in cable. I ended up re-cabling the whole system for use with a satellite receiver. I also connected a new inexpensive DVD player direct to the monitor for better quality.

One advantage of this series of monitors is its common commerical use and continued availability at favorable prices (with likely the same mounting configuration, but check to be sure).

The mounting is important. Alpine fabricated a pretty heavy duty steel bracket specifically for the Panasonic, which does not appear to be compatible with the "VESA" mounting standard you'll likely find on a replacement TV. This could lead to some challenging efforts to safely mount a different TV.

Good idea to search more, but here's a later model for $746 (which may not be too far off a repair bill, depending on the failure)

http://www.monitoroutlet.com/product...0uk,10075.html

This one's rated at 340 watts, around double of a similar LCD. Even with this load, 6 house batteries goes a long way...