Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2020, 07:59 AM   #1

Replacing Satellite Roof Antenna

We have a 2001 Dutch Star with an antique dish on the roof. It goes up and rotates. I want to remove it and put up a dome. I do not need or want an in motion unit. I currently have a Wingard tailgater with a Dish Wally. that works some of the time. ( I cannot record programs to watch later) I would like to use my Dish house unit when we are traveling. Question - What dome should I get? Will I need to provide 12v power to the roof unit?
Reason for the above-There were times if I put the tailgater on the roof I could get a signal.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2020, 08:39 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
It depends on your house unit. If it's a Hopper system, it will not work with a dome antenna. That requires a triple LNB antenna like a Winegard Trav'ler or a RF Mogul. With a dome antenna you are limited to the Wally and it will only have a single tuner. To activate the dual tuners in a Wally you have to have a triple LNB antenna and an attached hard drive.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:26 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You can add an external hard drive to your Wally to record programs. I have the Tailgater mounted on my roof with the King quick-release mount that lets me quickly remove the Tailgater to use with a tripod when needed.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:47 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Why does it ,the tailgater ,only work sometimes ? It should always work unless it’s blocked by trees or objects. The idea of the dome is to move it where it can see the satellites. With a dome like the wally the tuner provides the power to operate the dome via the same coax. The wally or older 211 tuners also control the dish operation. Other dish tuners don’t so can’t be used with domes.
The wally as noted is a recording receiver BUT not out of the box. You must add a hard drive yourself, and pay a one time $40 account activation fee. With a dome ... any dome it’s a one program at a time recorder good for time shifting .. record and watch later . The hard drive also gives you pause and rewind functions. Of course it connected to a full array dish ,not a dome , the wally has two tuners , 4 if you count the two over the air tuners via OTA. adapter.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:49 AM   #5

Thanks all

Sometimes I cannot get away from the trees from the ground but would if it was on the roof. The coax length restriction with the Wally can be an issue.

I will add a Tailgater to the roof in the same place the old dish is as well as a hard drive to the wally. I am not fond of climbing to the roof unless absolutely necessary.

Will a Wally run two TV's? We rarely use the bedroom TV, however, on some occasion it would be nice.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:38 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Replacing Satellite Roof Antenna

You can split the hdmi cable with a hdmi splitter sure , sending the hdmi signal to two TVs if you have the hdmi cabling to do that. You can also use the Wally’s composite yellow red white cable with a cheap adapter ( game adapter ) to send via coax if you have that cabling to the other tv .. it will just be in std definition

Tags
antenna, roof