Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Messner
Smile RETRO-FIT NEW TV from Old to New in Motorhome

Greetings!

I have a 2003 Fleetwood Bounder and want to switch out the old square TV for a newer LED or LCD type TV.

A number of issues I see are:

1. What to do with the big overhead box after the old TV is removed?
2. What kind of TV to buy? (Brand and size?).
3. Ive heard of RV specific TV's, Is this really needed?
4. I would like to run the TV on both 12V and 110V if possible.
5. Mounting an articulating arm - Is this the way to go? How to mount?

I'm guessing at the moment to mount a wood wall inside the old TV box and then mount the articulating bracket to that so the TV sits outside and front of the wooden box and can also then be adjusted on angles?

Use the old wooden box for storage or??

Ideas and advice sure would be appreciated!

Jim
Jim Messner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not sure if this will work for your MH. Two friends have removed the old TV, mounted the new flat screen to a "picture frame" and then hinged it at the top. They lift the TV and have a lot of extra storage space behind it.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #3

On my old 89 Southwind, I used an articulating bracket mounted inside the old box. installed a 26" flat screen. plugged a 125 watt inverter in the old cigarette lighter outlet. usede box for dvd player.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Here is what I did:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/03-d...ns-115558.html

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:58 AM   #5

Jim
Welcome to the forum. Use the search function to find lots of information on this subject (and others). There are as many ideas as people. And they are all good.
I removed the old TV and put a 2X4 in the box to mount the wall bracket. A couple of small angle brackets on the bottom of the TV to stop it from bouncing off the bracket and done. There was a space left under the TV that was just right for my DVD player. I measured the distance between the cabinet doors for the TV size. Mine was 36 inches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0866c.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	49154  
Old 11-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
We completely removed ours. I did not want that weight up there bouncing up and down as we drove down the road. Here is what we did. I created a slab door to cover the opening but I guess never took a final photo...

The TV will be placed across from the couch once we find the perfect cabinet to hold the TV, blue ray player, and cat box for the boys.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1323.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	49167   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1328.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	49168  

Name:	IMG_1401.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	49169  
patsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can see pictures of my 32 inch TV installation HERE.

I made two sides, top, back and bottom out of 3/4 inch plywood.
Probably overkill but I wanted 3/4 inches on the right side where I installed the articulating arm for strength and I just wanted to buy one sheet of plywood.
The arm is held with two 1/4 inch bolts with fender washers under the nuts. The top one goes through the steel framework Winnebago uses around the cabinet.
I put the back piece of plywood in last so it could be easily removed to have access to the area behind the cabinet to run wires to the electronics in the cabinets on each side. (5 disc DVD/CD/Mp3 player, BlueRay DVD player, satellite receiver, Wilson cellphone amplifier, Wilson Trucker cellphone antenna downlead coax, and and Verizon aircard).

Before installing the plywood pieces I covered them with laminate flooring left over from my flooring project.

I had to trim about 1/4 inch off the cabinet doors on each side of the TV. A little Light Oak stain and some polyurethane varnish and you can't tell they were trimmed.
A couple of the pictures show what I used for the travel hold downs. I put some weather stripping on the back to protect the TV face.

You can watch the TV fine with the hold downs in place so I don't remove them until we are stopped for a while and want access to the storage area.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #8

Here is a thread titeled the head banger is finally gone. It covers some installations including mine of removing the old center overhead TV (head banger) and installing a TV lift. These can be installed behind a couch or as I did in a cabinet I built on the passenger side wall of the coach expanding a small cabinet that was there. It works great.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/the-...-136185-6.html
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Messner
Bounder TV Upgrade

Thanks everyone, I like the ideas and wish I had the talent to do some of these.
Doing is learning!

Jim
Jim Messner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome