Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2018, 09:27 AM   #1

RF Mogul vs Winegard Traveler

I have just about had it with Winegard. Over two weeks going round and round trying to get a warranty claim approved. If one changes from the WG Taveler to the RF Mogul how does the wiring from roof to the control box work? any other compatibility issues?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2018, 11:29 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Hi resullivan,

Please check your PMs.
winegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:21 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I see Winegard has asked you to contact them and I hope that gets the results you need.

As to converting to RFmogul I think the biggest issue will be running the control wiring from the roof to the controller. There shouldn't be any difference for the coax. I suppose it is possible that there might be a chance you can repurpose the Wg control cable but looking at a picture I don't think it has the same number of wires needed by the RFm system.

I don't think there will be any big issue with the power inserter but I don't know that for a fact. I would think the worst case scenario is that you will have to replace the one for Wg with one for RFm.

Of course, you will have to deal with location and room for the landing area. You will have a whole new set of holes in the roof and ones to properly seal up. Been there, done that.

I'm pretty familiar with RFm because I currently own one. My biggest beef with RFm antenna is that there are 3 screws in the assembly that appear to have a history of becoming loose. That problem causes the elevation gearing to jam up if they get too loose. I had to get up on the roof, disassemble the motor cover and replace them with longer screws along with blue Loctite. No problems since.

The good news is that the motor assembly for RFm is that it can be field serviced. It is not that difficult for anyone with moderate mechanical skills to do it. The folks at RFm were outstanding to work with!

I don't if it is good, bad or indifferent but I'm about to go the other way. I'm trading my current coach in for one that has the Wg Trav'ler. I've found the RFm fairly stable in high winds but I've heard the Trav'ler isn't as sturdy. Time will tell.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:43 PM   #4

Never had a Trav'ler on either RV move in the wind.

As for service, I managed to wear out the motor on the Bounder Trav'ler using a DPH LNBF head that extended the seek time from a couple of minutes to sometimes as long as 80 minutes. In two years with 40 stops a year, I put a whole lot of years on the motor. That issue has since been fixed by adding a DPH-42 Switch and a regular LNBF head. But the damage had been done.

Since I was out of warranty, it took one phone call to establish the ticket and to have the RMA sent to me. Since I am getting up in years, I had the turret remove at the REV Technical Facility and send to Winegard. Winegard will overhaul the turret and sent it to my location for a fixed fee. So far the Bounder Trav'ler plus the rebuild fee is about the cost of a RF Mogul.

At that location, there is an end-loader to get the turret onto the roof so I can install it.

The 8 year old Trav'ler on the trailer has never had a problem.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:50 PM   #5

Also, I don't believe an RF Mogul can acquire any of the Eastern Arc sats. The Winegard Travler can (one at a time).
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:18 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Also, I don't believe an RF Mogul can acquire any of the Eastern Arc sats. The Winegard Travler can (one at a time).
HUH?

Not sure I understand that comment but perhaps that is Dish specific? I have DirecTV and with DNS registered for east coast outlets/satellites. No problems anywhere including the full length of the west coast within the US.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
HUH?
Not sure I understand that comment but perhaps that is Dish specific? I have DirecTV and with DNS registered for east coast outlets/satellites. No problems anywhere including the full length of the west coast within the US.
Yes this is a Dish comment. There are two satellite Arcs used by dish, the Western Arc (WA) which are satellites 119, 110, and 129. The Eastern Arc (EA) is satellites 61.5, 72.7 ans 77.

The default for the Winegard Trav'ler is to lock on the WA. This is like the normal Search function of the RF Mogul Eagle.

The Trav'ler has a manual mode where every Dish satellite can be locked onto, one-at-a-time by selection the satellite number from a menu.

From the Eagle Operations Manual, it looks like you can manually change the Azimuth, Elevation, and Skew but that is done without any menu assistance. Just hunting with push buttons.

DirecTV uses only one set of satellites with two different LNBF technologies.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:34 PM   #8

Using direcTv would the RFmogul be a good choice?
sanddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:50 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddan View Post
Using direcTv would the RFmogul be a good choice?
I think so but finding someone to buy from and install can be difficult. They lost some distributors a few years ago when the previous version couldn't be updated when one of the transponders it used to aim was taken off line. The original Korean company that had the software wanted out of the TV business and wouldn't provide a software update to the system.

The only solution was to upgrade the dish mast and controller to the Eagle system to tune of about $1K. However, that upgrade gave you a mast and controller that was built by and programed by RFm. RFm does include a GPS receiver that helps it lock a little bit faster than before. Before the upgrade I might see lock times of about 8 minutes and now I see 5 minutes or last. Not that big a deal but it comes standard.

If the new coach I'm buying didn't already have a Trav'ler set up for DirecTV I would try to find an RFmogul dealer. However, before they installed it I would have them replace the 6 socket head screws that hold the elevator gear works in place with longer ones and then Loctite them. It is a whole lot easier to do that before they get it up on the roof.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:59 PM   #10

Quote:
I think so but finding someone to buy from and install can be difficult.
Right here: DirecTV RF Mogul and DISH RF Mogul.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:21 PM   #11

Quote:
I think so but finding someone to buy from and install can be difficult. They lost some distributors a few years ago when the previous version couldn't be updated when one of the transponders it used to aim was taken off line. The original Korean company that had the software wanted out of the TV business and wouldn't provide a software update to the system.

The only solution was to upgrade the dish mast and controller to the Eagle system to tune of about $1K. However, that upgrade gave you a mast and controller that was built by and programed by RFm. RFm does include a GPS receiver that helps it lock a little bit faster than before. Before the upgrade I might see lock times of about 8 minutes and now I see 5 minutes or last. Not that big a deal but it comes standard.

If the new coach I'm buying didn't already have a Trav'ler set up for DirecTV I would try to find an RFmogul dealer. However, before they installed it I would have them replace the 6 socket head screws that hold the elevator gear works in place with longer ones and then Loctite them. It is a whole lot easier to do that before they get it up on the roof.
The installer I plan on using is a RFm dealer so that's not an issue. I just have to decide if I stick with directv or switch to Dish.
sanddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:54 PM   #12

I have an update to my post #4. Today Winegard called and said that even though my Trav'ler was out of warranty, they had decided to rebuild my turret under warranty.

People have complained on how hard it was to get their Trav'ler fixed under warranty. I cannot agree with that and perhaps I just know how to communicate with Winegard without raising their dander.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:50 PM   #13

My Travler is not under warranty (about 27 months old) and I have already paid the fee to have my turret repaired. Yet my unit has sat at Winegard for almost 2 weeks as a door stop. This despite calling ahead of sending back to verify the repair line and the time frame I could expect my unit back. Multiple calls and realldy disappointing customer service. My experience has been a great example of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
I am going to look into RFM. I see from their website that they now support Dish Hopper 3 installations with DPH42. No problem for me to pull the higher conductor cable required but a little concerned about the filling the Winegard mounitng footprint. I think the mounting ring used about 12 screws in the roof.
pnw_fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:23 PM   #14

For what it’s worth, I’m on my second Trav’ler as I changed coaches.

I’ve found the devices largely bullet-proof though I did have to replace one cable on each mount (easy) over time. Full timed for 4 years on the first Trav’ler with zero motor issues, moving often.

Winegard support is excellent though you have to trust that they will get back to you when you leave a message. I’ve never waited more than 1 business day.

Warranty parts come out quick.

RfM’s do have those cool blue night graphics

For DirecTV my money’s on Winegard. The new dish with the newest LNB locks on and is done in about 6 minutes!

DTV HR54 receiver was FREE plus I got a $150 rebate from Winegard. System was factory-installed by Newmar.
LagunaJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel