Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2019, 07:06 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RF Mogul vs. Winegard Travler: DirecTV vs. Dish

Currently we are DirecTV customers with a Genie and mini-Genie that moves from the house to the RV. The RV has an old KVH R4 set up with the Winegard SWM480 system and works well. We are thinking about changing over to Dish and have some questions:
1. Does the RF Mogul dish, and/or the Winegard Travler, allow completely independent operation of 2 receivers? With DirecTV it's not a problem right now but since Dish is spread over multiple satellites can one receiver watch one satellite while the second receiver watches the other, or are both receivers limited to watching the same satellite?
2. I've heard that Dish has a receiver that is actually 2 receivers in one box - one uses an IR remote and the other uses an RF remote so that each viewer has exclusive cotrol of a receiver instead of needing to put 2 receivers in different locations. Does anybody know about this? We're not interested in DVR capability because we don't have that now and don't feel we need it.
Thanks everyone!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question 1.
I don't know about the RF Mogul but the Winegard Travler lets you watch 2 different channels on different satellites at the same time.

Question 2.
I have a Dish 722 receiver in the MH that works just as you describe. The only drawback (for us) is you can watch 2 different channels or watch 1 channel and record another so one TV will have to be tuned to the channel that is being recorded.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:44 PM   #3

Not interested in a DVR!?! I can't even...

First of all, with a DVR you can pause live TV while you respond to a question on irv2.com. Second, with a Traveler, and probably the RF Mogul, and a Wally receiver you can record two shows on separate satellites at the same time while watching something recorded from yesterday, skipping all the commercials.

With the over the air tuner, you can record and over the air station at the same time too.

With a Wally, you pair the remote with the receiver so they don't collide if you have two receivers. There are other Dish receivers if you want different features, but I can't comment too much on them.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:49 PM   #4

Question 1) The R F Mogul will allow both receivers to access what ever they want on any satellite channel independent of the other receiver.

Question 2) I am not familiar of any DISH single receiver with this capability. The Hopper with Joey's will do this.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:20 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The DISH 622 and 722 are both dual receivers. I have one of each.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:09 PM   #6

FYI- If you have a Directv Genie now that is a DVR that has 5 tuners. So you can watch or record 5 channels at the same time.
gandl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:04 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
1. Either antenna will allow you to complete independent operation of two receivers.

2. The current Dish receiver, the Wally, is only one receiver with two different methods of control - IR or RF. This is selectable by remote. A Wally, when used with a RF Mogul or Trav'ler antenna and equipped with a HD, can record one program while watching another. Both the RF Mogul and the Trav'ler work exceptionally well with the Hopper/Joey combos.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:10 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
What about the eastern vs western satellites? If you drive from Maine to Seattle, what has to be changed or adjusted with Dish to keep HD signals? (With DirecTV there is nothing that needs to be done and you will have all the HD channels throughout the continental USA.)
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
What about the eastern vs western satellites? If you drive from Maine to Seattle, what has to be changed or adjusted with Dish to keep HD signals? (With DirecTV there is nothing that needs to be done and you will have all the HD channels throughout the continental USA.)
Chances are you can get by just using the Western Arc sats (110, 119, 129). However, if you have to use Eastern Arc sats (61.5, 72.7, 77), then a Winegard Travler should be able to acquire at least 61.5 sat manually. I don't believe an RF Mogul has that capability.

If you need to get all 3 of the Eastern Arc sats, then you would need a portable dish, preferably an open-faced dish.

I've been full timing for 6 years using DISH & a Travler, and I can count on my hand how often I've had to use my Eastern Arc portable tripod.

Here's more info on DISH Eastern & Western Arc sats.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Chances are you can get by just using the Western Arc sats (110, 119, 129). However, if you have to use Eastern Arc sats (61.5, 72.7, 77), then a Winegard Travler should be able to acquire at least 61.5 sat manually. I don't believe an RF Mogul has that capability.

If you need to get all 3 of the Eastern Arc sats, then you would need a portable dish, preferably an open-faced dish.

I've been full timing for 6 years using DISH & a Travler, and I can count on my hand how often I've had to use my Eastern Arc portable tripod.

Here's more info on DISH Eastern & Western Arc sats.
What makes you think the RF Mogul will not access the Satillite.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
What makes you think the RF Mogul will not access the (Eastern Arc) satellite.
I've asked a couple of RF Mogul owners.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:32 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Chances are you can get by just using the Western Arc sats (110, 119, 129). However, if you have to use Eastern Arc sats (61.5, 72.7, 77), then a Winegard Travler should be able to acquire at least 61.5 sat manually. I don't believe an RF Mogul has that capability....
I'm not sure if you are using language I'm not familiar with but...

I had an RF Mogul Eagle II on my previous coach for our DTV with a Genie receiver. We had DNS based on the east coast feeds. We ran up and down the west coast from SoCal to the Canadian border and did NOT have a single issue.

Maybe you are only talking about RFM with Dish?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:21 AM   #13

It is nice that the Dish version of the Traveler can point easterly. You never know when your camp site will have a wall of trees to the south western sky.

Since the spacing of the eastern satellites in the sky is not the same as the west, the spacing of the pickup heads won't work for the east. Because of this you can configure the Dish Traveler to look at only one (at a time) satellite in the east.

I have used satellite 61 several times when the western sky was blocked. Satellite 72 in the east has more HD content, but mine will not lock on to 72 automatically. To get around this, I power down the Traveler when I get a strong signal on 72. Without power it won't keep looking and just stays pointing at 72. (One time doing this I was able to get 72 and 61 but the was just dumb luck).

We have a Winegard Pathway X2 as a backup dish and it can look at 3 in the east or 3 in the west but at only one satellite at a time.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:27 AM   #14

The further east and north you go, the lower the western (Dish) satellites get in the sky. DNS from Dish is only on satellite 119. Satellite 129 has a lot of HD content ands is harder to get the more NE you get.

Tags
directv, dish