Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2021, 11:32 AM   #15

So even though you have 3 LNB's it not required?
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2021, 04:51 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfalch View Post
You are aware that the Hooper 3 requires a HDP42 switch.
The Dish system can handle about 200 feet total length of RG-6 between the dish and any Hopper 3 or Joey. This will be reduced somewhat for each additional point where you have in-line coax connections. 100' is bullet proof even with some inline connectors.

If you are using a 1000.2 standalone dish , if you use the hybrid LNBF, for example such as the DISH 1000.2 Slimline Hybrid LNB Western Arc with Bracket (ES217837-BRKT), then you use a single RG-6 coax to a DISH Hybrid Solo Hub for Single Hopper Installations (203952), coax is connected to the #1 connector on the hybrid LNBF. This has additional advantage of the solo hub not needing an additional 120V power supply.

Single RG-6 coax from the Hub to the Hopper 3.

It has a 2nd Coax port that can have a single RG-6 coax run to a Dish Joey2 or better set top box for a 2nd TV with HDMI input. I use a inexpensive Joey 2, you can find them used / refurbished online for cheap.

= = = = = =

If you have the old style LNBF then you need 2 coax from the dish to a DPH 42 switch which has to be powered from a standalone AC power supply that comes with it when purchased new. From the DPH 42 one coax to the hopper.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:31 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
You are aware that the Hooper 3 requires a HDP42 switch.
I have one if it's needed. I used to have one on the Trav'ler before it was upgraded to the hybrid LNB.

I'm hoping that this is as simple as setting the angle/ elevation/ skew on the 1000.2, and plugging it into the cable port in my wetbay..... and watching TV.... but I'm not that nieve (hopefully) and am ready to work through my frustrations to get this sorted.

I don't like not knowing what I don't know enough to ask.
rdalemercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:49 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
The Dish system can handle about 200 feet total length of RG-6 between the dish and any Hopper 3 or Joey. This will be reduced somewhat for each additional point where you have in-line coax connections. 100' is bullet proof even with some inline connectors.

If you are using a 1000.2 standalone dish , if you use the hybrid LNBF, for example such as the DISH 1000.2 Slimline Hybrid LNB Western Arc with Bracket (ES217837-BRKT), then you use a single RG-6 coax to a DISH Hybrid Solo Hub for Single Hopper Installations (203952), coax is connected to the #1 connector on the hybrid LNBF. This has additional advantage of the solo hub not needing an additional 120V power supply.

Single RG-6 coax from the Hub to the Hopper 3.

It has a 2nd Coax port that can have a single RG-6 coax run to a Dish Joey2 or better set top box for a 2nd TV with HDMI input. I use a inexpensive Joey 2, you can find them used / refurbished online for cheap.

= = = = = =

If you have the old style LNBF then you need 2 coax from the dish to a DPH 42 switch which has to be powered from a standalone AC power supply that comes with it when purchased new. From the DPH 42 one coax to the hopper.
Powercat_ras
Thanks.

I'm planning the following:
RG6 @ 200' (solid copper /quad shield)
1000.2 hybrid LNB (western arc)

Where would I plug in the hybrid solo hub?
- from what I'm reading, I can only connect to the Hopper3 directly - and not through the hub (switch?) that currently allows me to watch DISH through my two - additional - Joey's.
Old 10-10-2021, 08:27 PM   #19

Quote:
So even though you have 3 LNB's it not required?
Previous H3 needed one, it went with fiver when traded for Tiffin. Had H3 installed on Tiffin, no DP42 needed. Has all 3 sats, HD, record 16 channels same time (who can do that?)--seems just like a home setup.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:22 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
On the hybrid hub

ODU port goes to Hybrid LNB port 1
HOST port goes to Hopper 3
other 2 ports get 75 ohm termination plugs, or either one or both of the other 2 ports can connect to a Joey. If you have Joey or Joeys they don't have their own receivers, they use part of the 16 receivers on the Hopper 3 or can access all the Hopper 3 DVR content. The Joeys also use the Hopper 3 internet connection for on demand.

Some say that you can connect a Hopper directly to the Hybrid LNB port 1 and it will work for a single Hopper 3 system, but this is not a documented setup by Dish, so I have never tried it. The Hybrid Hub costs less than $ 10 so I have always just used one.

The hybrid hub has a ground wire connection so part of its purpose may be as an additional sacrificial item that will prevent a lightning surge from making it all the way into the expensive Hopper 3 and damaging it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-11-2021, 12:49 PM   #21

So, I have read this 3 times and from what I can glean is that since I have have a Winegard Directv dish and converted it to Dish is why I need the HDP switch. The Joey is right next to Hooper 3. All I can say is best of luck to you, since I am out of my element here.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 03:40 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks powercat_ras.
Port 1 to ODU don't 200 foot RG6 quad shield.
HOST to Hopper3.
Open ports to Joey(s).

My RV has an *antenna in* port on the wet bay that I {think} infects to my Hopper3 through the rats nest of cables in the AV dungeon.

I'll try that first - and if it fails, I'll route the cable from the HOST directly to the back of the Hopper3.

I haven't found a Slimline Hybrid triple LNB dish with bracket (and tripod) "kit" so I guess I'll have to buy the separate components and assemble it myself.

Any additional insight is welcomed as this is new territory for me. Setting up the 1000.2 seems pretty strait forward based on the YouTube videos that I've watched.
Old 10-11-2021, 03:54 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Powercat_ras.
Will the Hopper3 sort itself out once I properly align the fish & connect the RG6 (through the switch)..... or is there some menu "tweaks" that are required?

Sorry to be a bother.
Dale.
Old 10-11-2021, 04:42 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Thinking in a different direction:

Would I be better off to just purchase a G3 and connect it via a 200' RG6?

Is RG11 required for the G3 to work that cable length?

My shopping cart right now includes:
dish (1000.2 - Western Arc)
tripod,
Slimline Hybrid lnbf,
Slimline bracket,
solo node,
meter
and 200' of solid copper quad shield coax.

Price is 2x for the G3, but may be more portable and less "fuss" if it's 'plug and play'.
Old 10-11-2021, 04:44 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
rdalemercer,

Getting a 1000.2 dish with triple LNB aimed so it gets a good signal from all 3 of the LNB heads for 110, 119, 129 orbital Dish sats is not easy. I personally bought a used Dish installer test, a Super Buddy Satellite Installer Test Set, off of Ebay for $ 225 to make it do-able for me. They cost $ 700 new.

With the Super Buddy I can get set up in 30-45 minutes. I first locate the tripod and dish with a SAToolz Dish phone app so it has clear view of the 110, 119, and 129 orbital positions. You enter your zip code into the Super Buddy and it gives you the rough settings to set the dish angles and direction pointed as the starting point.

In my opinion it is almost impossible to align a Dish triple LNB Sat Dish without a installer test set.

So, you might want to consider a Dish Playmaker and Wally set top box. If you are set on the Hopper 3 then Playmaker won't work and you have to be able to set up and align a tripod dish or get the automated Winegard Trav'ler or the other choice that is now available, I forget it's name.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-11-2021, 05:59 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
I have the trav'ler on my RV roof, but where the RV is sitting (no choice) is too far into the trees - hence the need for another solution.

I had a guy tell me that the G3 equals the functionality of the Trav'ler. My concern is the distance required is ~180 feet from the RV to find clear skies for the G3 to see all 3 satellites.

I don't think the playmaker will let me watch 2 channels on different satellites at the same time. The G3, from what I was told, will.

Is there a better solution?

That's my delima.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:38 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
The Winegard web site specifically says that the new Carryout G3 is not compatible with the Dish Hopper DVRs.

Cheapest option is a manual aimed 1000.2 dish solution with a Ebay purchased Super Joey test set to aim it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-14-2021, 05:27 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
rdalemercer,

Getting a 1000.2 dish with triple LNB aimed so it gets a good signal from all 3 of the LNB heads for 110, 119, 129 orbital Dish sats is not easy. I personally bought a used Dish installer test, a Super Buddy Satellite Installer Test Set, off of Ebay for $ 225 to make it do-able for me. They cost $ 700 new.

With the Super Buddy I can get set up in 30-45 minutes. I first locate the tripod and dish with a SAToolz Dish phone app so it has clear view of the 110, 119, and 129 orbital positions. You enter your zip code into the Super Buddy and it gives you the rough settings to set the dish angles and direction pointed as the starting point.

In my opinion it is almost impossible to align a Dish triple LNB Sat Dish without a installer test set.

So, you might want to consider a Dish Playmaker and Wally set top box. If you are set on the Hopper 3 then Playmaker won't work and you have to be able to set up and align a tripod dish or get the automated Winegard Trav'ler or the other choice that is now available, I forget it's name.
The playmaker won't work with more than a 50' run of RG6 coax since the longer run can't power the dish properly. I ran into those issues with mine and it took me a week and a few calls in to Dish Outdoors to figure it out.
Since my rig is so long, I had over 50' of coax just from the wet bay connection to the tv, so I had to install a second coax port at the back of the camper for times where the dish needs to be behind the rig. It's worked flawlessly ever since.
Nlambert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish