RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2020, 01:58 PM   #1

Roku to RV TVs

Any one have ideas on how to connect my Roku to the outside TV in my Excursion 33D. Canít see how to get to the HDMI inputs. Thought maybe I could convert somehow to a RF signal to connect through coax input above next to the antenna switch on the control panel above the entry door.
hdfxrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2020, 03:52 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can use a ROKY Express if the selector box has a modulator or you can add a modulator to a ROKU EXpress

ROKU Express
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:03 PM   #3

Roku not available

Roku Express doesnít seem to be available any more.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:46 PM   #4

Does your DVD player work on the outside TV? If so, then find where the DVD player hooks into the HDMI splittter for the TV's and substitute the ROKU in it's place.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:41 AM   #5

DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Does your DVD player work on the outside TV? If so, then find where the DVD player hooks into the HDMI splittter for the TV's and substitute the ROKU in it's place.
The DVD player only works with the main TV. I thought it might be connected to the other TVs and I tried hooking up to the various connections in the DVD cabinet and the bedroom cabinet.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:53 AM   #6

We just hooked up the ROKO to our TV about a month ago. I had to take the TV off the mount and plugged the ROKO stick into the HDMI3 slot.
We do not have a smart TV and we have added a second ROKO on the outside TV on the side patio, had to take it off the mount to get it installed. I also used the same slot the HDMI 3.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
We just hooked up the ROKO to our TV about a month ago. I had to take the TV off the mount and plugged the ROKO stick into the HDMI3 slot.
We do not have a smart TV and we have added a second ROKO on the outside TV on the side patio, had to take it off the mount to get it installed. I also used the same slot the HDMI 3.
Thatís what I will probably need to do. Not sure how to get to the HDMI inputs. Didnít see any access when we had the couch removed for new upholstery. I assume the tv can be removed from the front? I see some screws on the metal panels on each side.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:38 AM   #8

If you don't want to bother running wires, lots of options (I've never used any of them) for wirelessly transmitting the HDMI signal to a receiver. You then plug a cord into the receiver and then into your TV. Here is a link for some...

https://www.bestadvisor.com/wireless...EaAi8MEALw_wcB
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfxrs View Post
Thatís what I will probably need to do. Not sure how to get to the HDMI inputs. Didnít see any access when we had the couch removed for new upholstery. I assume the tv can be removed from the front? I see some screws on the metal panels on each side.
Wife purchased our ROKO from Amazon for around $30. The receiver unit I just attached using Velcro and placed it so it can get the signal easily.
On our TV it is hard to get to the mounting screws so I removed the whole backing/mounting board. I then flipped the TV over installed the ROKO and put the mounting board back up.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:39 AM   #10

I assume you did this from the outside. How many screws?
Old 09-29-2020, 09:43 AM   #11

There is a good chance the TV is mounted with a quick release of some type. Many mounts will have a plate that bolts to the TV that then hangs on a rail mounted to the structure with spring loaded clips to lock things in. Here is an example: You might need to slip a cell phone in video recording mode behind it if you can't see back there.

Once you figure it out you might want to drop some HDMI cables from the other inputs in case you want to connect something in the future. Maybe a USB cable too if you want to plug in a camera or something.

I've had some issues with the USB ports on the TV not being powerful enough to power a Roku stick, so you might want to put a 120 volt USB adapter back there too.
tom92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfxrs View Post
I assume you did this from the outside. How many screws?
Inside TV had 4 screws, one in each corner. Outside TV had 6 screws. There was 1 in each corner, and 1 in the center both top and bottom.
But keep in mind each unit could be different.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:09 PM   #13

mounted my roku stick via a short HDMI extension cord from back to front of the TV, so the remote can communicate with the roku stick.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
Thought you needed a Smart TV for the Roku to work. Does this mean you only get Roku programs (and OTA channels) ????