Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2016, 04:41 PM   #1

Roku with T-Mobile Binge On! unlimited

Using my Novatel 6620l (Omnilynx) hotspot with T-Mobile. Per Tech Support, Roku is not supported with Binge On when connected directly to the hotspot. What that means is that data streamed to the Roku will count against your data allotment.

Has anyone found a workaround?

I don't actually have unlimited Binge On yet (we'll be hitting the road in a couple of weeks and will get it then) so this is just research for now. So I can't try the two methods that I have found may work:

1. make a virtual router with my laptop and connect the Roku to that. Laptop is connected to 6620l, Roku is connected to laptop.

2. prevent the stream from using UDP protocol it won't use your data. For me that means turning off UPnP in my Pepwave Surf. Saw the idea in this discussion
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2016, 08:54 PM   #2

I have found that a Chromecast has worked for me (not counted against my data allotment) but others have reported that it doesn't work for them. I do not know why experiences differ.

The best option is probably to use use an HDMI output on a laptop (you can tether the laptop to your smartphone or a hotspot.) This solution is fully supported by T-Mobile and works well.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:58 PM   #3

Roku doesn't work with Binge On because of the way it handles data, not because T-Mobile doesn't want to support it. What does seem to work to get video to a TV set is a phone and a Chromecast device ($35). Keep close watch on how much data they say you're using in case there are any issues.

I think, but am not certain, that if you stream Hulu the commercialsare in HD and count against your data. Better to get the commercial free version for $4 more and not deal with that.

I use T-Mobile for internet with a 4G LTE hotspot and it's been reliable and pretty speedy considering it's over a cellular network.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvo View Post
Roku doesn't work with Binge On because of the way it handles data, not because T-Mobile doesn't want to support it.
Yes, that is correct. T-M has stated that they have no objection to streaming devices but rather that they can mask the IP traffic in a way that makes it impossible for T-M to properly identify it. Perhaps as the popularity of Binge On grows T-M will find a way to resolve that issue by working with Roku and other manufacturers.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:13 AM   #5

I know the Roku is a problem. I know there are options for connecting a laptop/tablet/phone to the TV (HDMI, Mirrorcast). I know I am stubborn and want the Roku to work LOL. So I will experiment starting with the two ideas listed in my first post, but that will have to wait until I get unlimited Binge On.

In the meantime I'm hoping someone has already discovered a workaround.
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee View Post
I know the Roku is a problem. I know there are options for connecting a laptop/tablet/phone to the TV (HDMI, Mirrorcast). I know I am stubborn and want the Roku to work LOL. So I will experiment starting with the two ideas listed in my first post, but that will have to wait until I get unlimited Binge On.

In the meantime I'm hoping someone has already discovered a workaround.
The issue is on the T-M network end having to do with the way the Roku streams data (meaning a packet-level issue) so I wouldn't expect there is anything you can do locally to fix it unless you can decomplie and fix the Roku firmware, which would be a neat trick.

And BTW if you eat up your data streaming on non-approved hardware don't call T-M, they used to provide some grace on that but no longer, DAMHIK But again, using an HDMI output on a PC/laptop or an MHL output on a smartphone works fine and is supported by T-M.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:42 PM   #7

Roku might be the greatest thing ever. Have had at least 4 in my house for about 4 years now
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:34 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
I've been researching this a bit recently and it seems that the problems lie in what device is streaming the data and what device is playing the video. A cellular hotspot does not play video or cast video itself, so everything going through it is tagged as data. If you have a cellphone and have turned on hotspot and then use an Apple TV or Roku to access the internet using that hotspot and then play video, again, the phone is just passing data and the secondary device is playing the video. Now, take the same phone and launch the Netflix app on the phone and play a video and your usage is identified by T-Mobile as video, not data. You can then "cast" (or Airplay) that video to the Apple TV and watch it on the big screen without the data hit. Ultimately, Binge On only seems to work if the cellular data device and the video streaming device are one and the same.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:22 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Binge on

Can you you chromecast from a router tethered to a T-Mobile hotspot without enduring high speed ata charges?
NumberThree1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajwrape View Post
Can you you chromecast from a router tethered to a T-Mobile hotspot without enduring high speed ata charges?
I have experimented with this and the answer for me was yes, as long as I started the movie from the Netflix app and not the Chromecast app. But others have reported that this didn't work for them and they were charged for data use so I can't say it's 100% reliable. I have gone to using the HDMI output on my laptop (tethered to a phone or hotspot.) This method is reliable and is supported/approved by T-Mo.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:19 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
I have experimented with this and the answer for me was yes, as long as I started the movie from the Netflix app and not the Chromecast app. But others have reported that this didn't work for them and they were charged for data use so I can't say it's 100% reliable. I have gone to using the HDMI output on my laptop (tethered to a phone or hotspot.) This method is reliable and is supported/approved by T-Mo.
Thanks for your reply. To be clear, are you talking about a Netflix app on an iPad or tablet etc casting to the chromecast. As an example in trying to translate all this I am going to use the T-Mobile hotspot tethered to my WiFiRanger to feed my IPad. On it I will use the Netflix app to access Netflix. Then I propose to cast that to either a chromecast or a roku stick plugged into the tv in my RV. Based on your experience or anyone's who is viewing this, will that meet the requirements for Bingeon? I have done something similar with the NFL Sunday Ticket app on my sons tv when visiting. Of course at that time I was using his internet provider, not T-Mobile.
NumberThree1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:16 AM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
As I understand it, based on my extensive reading but no experience, yes this should work. The key is that an approved device (PC, phone or tablet) is playing the video. The problem is when the media device itself (Apple TV, Roku, etc) is trying to play the video.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa_Claus View Post
As I understand it, based on my extensive reading but no experience, yes this should work. The key is that an approved device (PC, phone or tablet) is playing the video. The problem is when the media device itself (Apple TV, Roku, etc) is trying to play the video.
Yes, the key seems to be streaming from a Netflix app and not the streaming device. Problem is that for some reason this works most of the time ('works' being defined as not counting against your data allotment), but it doesn't seem to be 100% reliable. I have streamed from a Netflix app on my smartphone to a Chromecast (via a router connected to a T-Mo hotspot) and it worked perhaps a dozen times in a row with no fuss, then on one occasion it did count against my data allotment (no difference in configuration as far as a I could tell), so I would advise checking to be sure. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a hard and fast answer.