Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2021, 01:21 PM   #1

Router or Repeater or Extender?

Confused & Frustrated....

I have a simple topology

No Modem, no cell phone coverage
  • Connects via 3rd party WiFi service using MAC address
    Have a WD EX4100 NAS
What Router or Extender should I use?

I have tried the ASUS AX-3000 but tech support is unable to get it to work
  • When I change from Router to Repeater Mode all connections are lost (not that I had any LAN or WAN anyway, just the desktop)
What is the difference between a Router (Router has Repeater Mode) and and Extender?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Squire Dude
MousePad II is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2021, 01:56 PM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Are you wanting to pick up a wi-if signal from a 3ed party and have an Ethernet connection in your place?
Do you connect your devices to this 3ed party wi-if?
Old 06-03-2021, 02:28 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Simply a router connects between 2 networks and a repeater adds you to a network.

If you are connecting to an existing network, you need a router with WiFi as WAN capability. Your local devices will always be on your private LAN and you can connect to any existing WiFi network you have permission to connect to. That way your local devices don't need to change addresses every time you connect to a different WiFi network.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:43 PM   #4
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm not clear on how you are trying to get the asus to work for you.

If you are trying to repeat another wi-fi I'm no expert and have found that quite difficult with a simple router.

I use a UBNT device to connect to the wi-fi I need to use. It is a strong transmitter and receiver so extends the range I can work from whatever hot spot I am trying to access.

Using one of these devices, once setup and connected it is plugged into my (Asus, etc), local wi-fi device. My devices are either plugged into that router or use it via its wi-fi.

The (asus, etc) is set up easily just as you would set one up at home. At home you would likely have a (modem), rented from some provider. A simple jumper from that modem to your (asus, etc), and off you go.

Using a NAS, again I am no expert but once you go hopping along a couple of boxes it can get quite complicated getting the NAS to talk to the (outside world). That is to the internet and not just inside your little umbrella area.

Sorry to be so vague and really of little help at this stage without a bit more information. I have spent countless hours wrestling with these things.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:08 PM   #5

kcmusa

Thanks for the questions...
Not sure if I need an Ethernet cable to connect to the outside but YES that would satisfy the ASUS need for a WAN connection
I do connect to a 3rd Party WiFi system (my laptop and phone connect without issues)

Thanks
Mouse Pad II
Old 06-03-2021, 08:17 PM   #6

Thanks, I am unable to find a UBNT device you noted. Where can I find such a device...

All else makes perfect sense and it is just not connecting to the WiFi and when I go into Repeater Mode I see the Wifi service but when I save it it fails to connect to anything at that point... No LAN No WAN

Thanks
Mouse Pad II
Old 06-03-2021, 09:09 PM   #7

I am starting to think it has something to do with the IP settings.... The Router defaults to 192.168.50.0 SN 255.255.255.0

As soon as I change the router from
* Wireless-Router to Repeater Mode...
* Select WiFi service from list (TengoInternet)
* Automatic IP
* Set PWD for 2.4 & 5
* Next
* Apply

Change to new WiFi name - No Internet, Secured

No Connection ... Frustrating!
Old 06-03-2021, 09:15 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
There are a few routers that are specifically designed to connect to a WiFi service and share a different WiFi and/or wired ethernet connections. This is usually called WiFi as a WAN because, in this case, the WiFi you are connecting to is the "outside" network and the WiFi and local ethernet on the router are typically called LAN (LOCAL area network).

For simplicity, in most home applications, the difference between a router and an extender is the router creates a separate distinct network that local devices connect to and usually offers some degree of protection for the local devices from the WAN and beyond. Extenders simply extend the range of an existing network, so it doesn't necessarily create a separate WiFi network. Devices connected to the extender are connected directly to the host network, more or less. To confuse this, many routers have multiple modes of operation, sometimes including acting as an extender.

As I said above, there are a few routers purpose built to server WiFi as WAN. Peplink SOHO and the WiFi Ranger line up are two of the most popular. You can search the forum for WiFi Ranger.

It might help to understand exactly what you're trying to accomplish. It sounds like you want to put the NAS on the network and presumably connect to it from your laptop and other devices. Does the NAS have WiFi or just ethernet? Typically, you would want these types of devices behind a router, but all of the devices would have to be behind the router and the router would have to support WiFi as WAN. Most consumer routers ASUS, NetGear, etc... don't support this and those that do don't do it well.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:23 PM   #9

I hope you get it fixed. I have a Winegard ConnecT that connects to everything except the campground wifi.... I am thinking that it is a setting on the campground system.
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 04:48 AM   #10
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/my-...es-515316.html

Here is a recent thread on the subject of wi-fi extension. These devices are available in 2.5 and 5ghz. I have one on each frequency.

This is the first trip trying out the 5gh device and it works great. The 2.5 campground signal was bombed over the big weekend and I had to revert to hot spots.

I'm picking up an open wi-fi a block away with the little dish sitting inside of my rv on the dash. It would really come alive if I moved it to the roof or onto a pole.

The device picks up wi-stations and and passes that signal to my router. Then all of my devices are connected to that router via cat 5 or the wi-fi it puts out. It is a dual band wi-fi.

This can be a very complicated and frustrating process. However the great guy that started the thread made a configuration file that you can copy and install into one if you go this route. I have a cfg file modified from his just a tad and it works great so far.

Just think of these devices as a garden hose connected to the neighbors house. You are filling your pool with his hose. At your house you can split his hose and fill the pool and water your lawn at the same time via a simple splitter, (router).
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route, router