RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2020, 06:03 AM   #57

Costs please ???
Does it have monthly service charge? Or you can use hotspot for free?
Is it actually worth trouble?
Does it need external power to make it work ?

Can it somehow be used on MH ? In case boon-docking faraway?

Just curious of limitations.
tatyanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2020, 08:39 AM   #58

I gave a report on what works for me.... I do not recommend it for anyone else.

This unit is not easy to set up, and no tech support that I know about.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:48 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
i ordered some mikrotek intead of the cradlepoint, will post
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:18 AM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
OK gang in rspect to camper25 as he mentioned this and again in my personal testing here is what I got.
I have visible, I have a work verizon jetback..... in my rural house, verizon towers are 4.2miles and 6.4 miles from me, I am at a good high elevation 1400ft. towers are 350 and 740 respectively.
Now I have 3 sprint towers. less than 1 mile at 1260elev. 3 others are 3.5 to 6 miles but lower.. 1000, 1100 760 ish.

there are some good sites that show detailed tower location.. with working bands and providers etc...

Here is what I got as a test. [mini lte kit us version]https://mikrotik.com/product/ltap_mini_lte_kit_us[/URL]
I picked this as it had the tower bands for sprint in my area and 3 out of the 4 main verizon uses BUT not Verizon 13 that is local to me up there in country, dang..
It also has internal antenna, is water proof and can be powered 4 ways.. POE, 110 adapter, a 12vdc pigtail and mini usb..
It configures as an AP Router/bridge, just a normal router , you can activate a wan input in addition to the lte card. IT also works as a pass thru aka modem to an exixting router..

WHY since I have visible and the ALR set up.. Becasuse my signal in my rural area sucks on verizon, spotty with jetpack and the vissible play second fiddle when congested..

I took a tmobile.sprint 3 month package, $90 sold thru MINT .. a reseller, ordered a sim on wednesday morning, got it thursday nite . Activated it using the generic "no specific phone set up", got another number too LOL.

I also got a loaner sprint phone to mess with on a rainy day.. to test tethering etc..

But for now, i put sim in the mikrotik, it comes with 3 adapters, nice.. . plugged the unit in to 110 adapter. ok it came on.. leds on.. good.
Next went to laptop, downloaded mikrotik, winbox app,.
turned off my laptop wireless, just becasue.., made sure ethernet was set to auto . cat a cat 6 from mikrotek to laptop,, waited 30 seconds, fired up winbox app..
followed simple intructions on their web and you tube also.. i
I could see that mint was provider and we had a signal..
I opened a browser and oh my we have internet..
Finished setting up the AP wireless name and password.. clicked apply..
took my phone and connected..
NOW, this device is my my town apartment to test, on the desk in a middle room.. signal in app is -97bd.. weak no sprint towers in the hole i am in.
Did a speed test on phone and laptop,, typical 5 to 6 up and dowm.. yep it is as advertised, 5 limit. like visible..
The winbox APP had hundreds of settings to fry your brain.. Mikrotik has good docs and you must serach for settings specific to your needs, so after a care full set up.. I re run speed test.. 12dl, 10up... I moved laptop and unit to another room near a window.. speed went to 17-18 dl, 8-12 up.. HAPPY..

I like the unit being it is weather proof, it can take external antenna and the wireless signal is robust..

will test remotes this weekend,, and also driving in my suv,,
Old 09-25-2020, 07:01 AM   #61

You have a different MikroTik than I do... I'm glad it is working for you.

I use the MikroTik LHG-LTE-KIT-US which is designed for long range internet connection in rural areas. It has a very narrow beam so it must be aimed at a tower precisely. It only has 4 bands, but they do work on all the major carriers.

I've proven a solid connection at over 12-miles from a tower is easy at my location.

I will say... What equipment works for one, may or may not work for another.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:30 AM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
the narrow beam will worki n those cases.. as long as you can detect tower and set it forget it,, same software, same internals just an intergrated antenna beam.. NICE..

Cradlepoints and sierra are great but you pay..and pay..

my goal will be to get verizon up also this way the 2 sims can get happy to provide good stuff.. they dont balance but I want a signal.. and not break my low budget LOL
Old 09-25-2020, 07:57 AM   #63

I want to buy a router like yours and connect it to my outdoor yagi antenna.

I want three units... one for AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:03 PM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
OK we did some playing around, testing etc,,

The Mikrotik turned out to be a mess.. labeled a US but was Intl chip inside..
I ordered a new card, , they sent a Cat6 International.. NOPE, they sent a US card overnite,,

Ok it likes the TMobile/MINT sim.. In my second floor window, facing the tower.. in a country setting . we got a min of 9 DL-5UL to 18DL-9UL.. No add on antenna.

I also have a dual sim A20s phone.. popped a visible in and a fresh Mint. usb Tethered in same window. to a GLx750 router. speed in mint almost same , maybe 10% higher.. switch to visible for the day., now this is why I want a bit more stable.. it varies from 4DL/1UL to 23DL/10UL... to sometimes a crawl.. I have a Ver. Jetpack from work and that is a tad more consistent than visble in this rural setting but drops very low for hours..

In Town as I type this Visible is 68DL/23UL.. and the Mint is 26DL/7UL.. Verzion tower is 2 blocks and TMobile is 1/2 mile or so..

Friday and Saturday, I traveled from NY boarder to South Jersey and back to NE PA In RV, I had both systems in RV, While parked in South Jersey.. Visible and Jet Packs would vary .1 DL to 8 DL and reset a few times.. The Mint was dead on , 12DL to 18DL.. constant...

As a side note, the Mikrotik Mini AP vs the GL 750 traveler.. both in RV on table.. I was in a 7x16 concession type trailer about 200-250 feet.. 2 bars in the GL750 and 1 bar from Mik..... this was from laptops and phones connecting to the wifi..

So far, I happy as this is typical for my use..

I have 2 antennas to try next weekend, a 7 db omni and a 13db directional..
Old 10-05-2020, 04:36 PM   #65

I like the model of MikroTik that I have. It sends a narrow signal like a lazer beam to a tower.

Tags
internet