RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2020, 08:44 AM   #1

Rural Internet

I have some rural land that is 12.8 miles to the nearest interstate cell tower.

I get one bar of service there, so I know that weak internet service is available. I can make and receive phone calls, but my interest is a data connection.

I had a setup that worked in my RV, but it quit working so I returned it for credit.

Do any of you have rural internet, and what works well for you?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2020, 08:59 AM   #2
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

There are a number of companies that make cellular amplifiers designed for use on buildings in weak signal areas. Most combine an outdoor antenna with an amplifier and an indoor antenna for rebroadcasting the signal inside the building. WeBoot is one such company: https://www.weboost.com/
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:10 AM   #3

I have an older weBoost unit and it doesn't do much at that distance, but mine does improve a signal at 2-3 miles. Looking at all options....
Old 08-23-2020, 10:28 AM   #4

Smile

Here in our part of Tennessee paradise, DW and I have to use our flat 'phones hot spot for our laptops. However, I don't know how that would be for anyone having to do work. We just use our's for entertainment. We can't even get over the air TV here.
R Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:34 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
I would try fire wifi with one of there antennas
Old 08-23-2020, 10:41 AM   #6

I have four grandfathered unlimited plans.... just need the equipment.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:50 AM   #7

Have you checked to see if the area is served by a "WISP" (wireless internet service provider). They are high powered wireless connections that you receive via a directional antenna and router that the WISP provides. The WISP uses a different bandwidth than either cell phones or normal WiFi. They operate on line of sight, so you would need a clear view towards one of their transmission antenna towers. You may also want to get on the waiting list for Starlink, it is supposed to come on line in the relatively near future.
kcdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:00 AM   #8
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper25 View Post
I have an older weBoost unit and it doesn't do much at that distance, but mine does improve a signal at 2-3 miles. Looking at all options....
One thing to be aware of when trying to connect from very long distances is that the signal you are seeing may be partially or entirely due to reflections rather than direct line-of-sight. I owned a house in a location like that where there was a measurable signal but it was virtually impossible to receive or place a call or use internet.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:07 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Since you are trying to provide service in a fixed site, your best bet would be to use a directional antenna and the tallest mast you can manage, with an amplifier. A directional antenna will provide more signal than a non-directional, while rejecting noise from other directions. A taller antenna can be less affected by objects between your antenna and the cell tower that are blocking the signal.

I suggest you look at https://www.weboost.com/products/connect-rv-65.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:20 AM   #10
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
With all due respect, that's still a booster designed to be used in a parked RV. WeBoost makes more powerful devices intended for home use:

https://www.weboost.com/products/web...-home-complete
Old 08-23-2020, 12:53 PM   #11

I use it in my rv, not a home. I have a weBoost telescopic 25' aluminum tower.

I have an RF signal meter, connect it to the antenna coax and dial right in on a tower:

https://www.surecall.com/signal-boos...-SIGNAL-METER/
Old 08-23-2020, 01:37 PM   #12

We had a HughesNet Satellite installed 2 months ago at the house. It is used primarily for streaming, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc through a Roku. We have a good cell signal, however every cellular hotspot/WiFi streaming device that we tried yielded completely unwatchable video.

Itís $65/mo for 20gb. After 20gb, streaming may be slowed. Iím sure weíve exceeded the limit and there has been no noticeable change in video quality.

Iíd recommend it for a rural area, particularly where a cell signal is weak.
Old 08-23-2020, 01:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper25 View Post
I have some rural land that is 12.8 miles to the nearest interstate cell tower.

I get one bar of service there, so I know that weak internet service is available. I can make and receive phone calls, but my interest is a data connection.

I had a setup that worked in my RV, but it quit working so I returned it for credit.

Do any of you have rural internet, and what works well for you?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdogger View Post
Have you checked to see if the area is served by a "WISP" (wireless internet service provider). They are high powered wireless connections that you receive via a directional antenna and router that the WISP provides. The WISP uses a different bandwidth than either cell phones or normal WiFi. They operate on line of sight, so you would need a clear view towards one of their transmission antenna towers. You may also want to get on the waiting list for Starlink, it is supposed to come on line in the relatively near future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Since you are trying to provide service in a fixed site, your best bet would be to use a directional antenna and the tallest mast you can manage, with an amplifier. A directional antenna will provide more signal than a non-directional, while rejecting noise from other directions. A taller antenna can be less affected by objects between your antenna and the cell tower that are blocking the signal.

I suggest you look at https://www.weboost.com/products/connect-rv-65.
If you are looking at a permanent installation then the above responses have the right idea... get your antenna up high and use a directional antenna...

If you have a location that can host an internet connection then you can implement your own connecting link.... (think of a a "WISP" as a link and a host and a billing system that charges you a monthly rate).

As an example of what can be done... Over 5 years ago a bunch of ham radio operators did a 140 mile (!) point-to-point hop with completely commercial off-the-shelf equipment. They used 3.5 foot diameter dish antennas on each end, and regular 5ghz equipment made by Ubiquity. They established a connection, tweaked it for a while, verified a consistent 75mb throughput and it is in use for ham radio system linking.

One end is at Bertha Peak at 8000 feet high (east of Los Angeles, north of Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear), the other end is on Mt Potosi southwest of Las Vegas (7800 feet).

Yes, height on both ends of a valley helps. And having a site that already has internet available to jack into is also a help...

Translation: a 140-mile long ethernet extension cord with a 75mb throughput, and no monthly charge for the link.

But you need a clear path (trees will block you more at 5 gig than at 2.4 gig!) to the host end where you can plug the "extension cord" into.

I've helped out on a similar system that brings the internet into a off-the-grid site... The "host" is someone that has DSL at their house and a 25 foot ham radio tower. The "client" is 5 miles into a canyon and has solar on their cabin roof. A 20 foot tower at the cabin has the matching antenna on it.

In your case... if you have a host, and clear shot for 12.8 miles then yes, it can be done.

The rest of the story:

https: // community.ui.com/stories/eXtra-Long-Distance-225-km-140-miles-AF-5X-Today-and-Tomorrow/b8187a0e-516a-48a2-85dd-1d95c325cf34

Mike
Old 08-23-2020, 02:04 PM   #14

A thousand oak trees and hills for 12.8 miles in not a clear line of sight.

I'm in an RV....... not a house.

A Ubiquiti access point will not work in my case. I'm at one end and a cell tower is at the other end. A point-to-point hop has an access point at each end... not a cell tower.

I will need a cellular LTE access point.... the only one I know of is made by MikroTik.

Tags
internet