Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2021, 07:28 AM   #1

RV Maps Software?

If a person was to take a laptop with them in their RV, is there any good software out there with mapping showing RV sites, best roads, etc?
56Rick
56Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2021, 10:13 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
We use RV Trip Wizard.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:10 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard is probably the most popular!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 12:13 PM   #4

lots of software for choosing campgrounds and lots more for mapping, directions, etc. rvparky, campgroundreviews.com, google maps, waze, etc.

but as to 'best', well that's subjective.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:33 PM   #5

We use several different apps. Parky RV is one of my favs but if I could only have one it would be Google maps. Excellent for finding camp grounds and always provides the fastest route with current traffic updates. When our route is planned we do consult our Trucker Atlas for low bridges. The deal breaker for choosing Google is having a satellite view for camp grounds.

All that said we just purchased a new Garmin RV 890 GPS to add to the arsenal.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 12:51 PM   #6

Heard there was 1090 Garmin
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:13 PM   #7

Honestly, it’s become hard to beat the RV LIFE suite. Between RVTW, the RVLIFE App, plus integration with CAMPGROUNDREVIEWS.com…
pretty much the best all around.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 06:45 AM   #8

Mapping

Lots of good suggestions, thanks a bunch!

As a still practicing Appraiser, I use mapping from both my appraisal software and Google Earth. Good to hear that Google Earth is a possible source, even though their maps are sometimes a little dated. Guess that could be true of most anyone's software.

I have actually been thinking of purchasing a Drone for my business, and to check on my cows on our ranch. Might be good to have in an RV if you get in a bind or something. Call it aerial recon.

Not too apprehensive about the driving portion of owning the RV, as I was a truck driver in a past life. But that was a long time ago.

Let the fun begin!

Rick
56Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:59 AM   #9

RV Maps Software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56Rick View Post
Lots of good suggestions, thanks a bunch!

As a still practicing Appraiser, I use mapping from both my appraisal software and Google Earth. Good to hear that Google Earth is a possible source, even though their maps are sometimes a little dated.

Rick,

Just in case you’ve misunderstood the suggestion above was GOOGLE MAPS, NOT GOOGLE EARTH.

Not being nit-picky; those are two different software applications and have entirely different uses as is not the same as the Satellite or Street views available in Google or Apple Maps.

Also, you have to keep in mind that the software-based solutions of Apple, Google, and Waze ALL do NOT provide any type of “RV” routing. So, weight, length, and height restrictions are not taking under consideration.

For the “best” RV navigation, the best you can use is a Garmin RV GPS.

Hope this helps further.
Old 10-28-2021, 06:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
Rick,

Just in case you’ve misunderstood the suggestion above was GOOGLE MAPS, NOT GOOGLE EARTH.

Not being nit-picky; those are two different software applications and have entirely different uses as is not the same as the Satellite or Street views available in Google or Apple Maps.

Also, you have to keep in mind that the software-based solutions of Apple, Google, and Waze ALL do NOT provide any type of “RV” routing. So, weight, length, and height restrictions are not taking under consideration.

For the “best” RV navigation, the best you can use is a Garmin RV GPS.

Hope this helps further.
Yes, all correct. I have found that sometimes Google Maps and Apple maps suggest different routes and times of arrival. Many times Google maps offers more than one route and I can just click on the one I want. The Truck Map app is a little cumbersome but routes for trucks which I will use just to compare and make sure the route we choose is safe for a big rig.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:27 AM   #11

@CaptainGizmo - I guess I'm unclear of what you're pointing out here - when you get down to the street level for imagery, both GM and GE use the exact same images. GE has newer satellite imagery. Not sure how often the street maps are updated in GM. I think using both are good additional tools for planning.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:25 AM   #12

Google earth vs. Google maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
@CaptainGizmo - I guess I'm unclear of what you're pointing out here - when you get down to the street level for imagery, both GM and GE use the exact same images. GE has newer satellite imagery. Not sure how often the street maps are updated in GM. I think using both are good additional tools for planning.
My point was to be technically accurate since, as in this case, the smallest terminology can throw someone a big curveball.

Rick, in his OP, asked for suggestions for planning to which RK911 mentioned Google "MAPS". Rick later responded that he was glad Google "EARTH" was good to use. I just didn't want him or anyone to be misled thinking that Google EARTH provided any form of navigation.

Sounds like you know the difference, however, probably the majority DO NOT. In terms of what you've found with imagery data, I'm gonna not gonna agree or disagree on map data, but I'm not certain I've found inconsistencies; supposedly, they both use the same satellite data. I just looked up a resort, for example, and the two were identical.

For others who are following, let me expand a bit more.

GOOGLE EARTH is a completely separate service of Google to show the entire world using satellite views. It has many fun features and tools for exploration and travel that Google MAPS does not. It's access on a different website AND app on your iPhone/Android!

GOOGLE MAPS is a service and app that was developed, primarily, as a navigation tool with Turn-by-Turn directions. It has the ability to show different layers in addition to the default map like Transit, Traffic, Biking, Terrain, and Street View.

BOTH of these services have Satellite views, BUT, once you zoom in far enough, you can also show you the STREET VIEW which is triggered by dragging the little yellow icon. The street must be available for street view, which will indicated by the street lighting up with blue bordering.

As far as phone apps, Google has separate apps for both of these. You can find them on the App Store or Google Play Store.

Apple: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/google-maps/id585027354

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US

Hope this helps.

Steve
Old 10-31-2021, 08:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56Rick View Post
If a person was to take a laptop with them in their RV, is there any good software out there with mapping showing RV sites, best roads, etc?
56Rick

If you are looking for stand alone software the pickins are very slim. Just about everything out there needs access to be online. A fat lot of good that does you when you are in the mountains somewhere or north where there is no cell service & you want information at your fingertips.

MS Streets & Trips used to be the goto software. So nice to have everything right there no matter where we were.

Don't rely on only one source of info. We did a 12,000 mile MD to West Coast return trip this year. Using a Garmin RV stand alone GPS & Google Maps on the phone. Way too many phone dead areas in the mountains & away from major roads.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 09:40 AM   #14

I searched for a long time for a map ap that worked off-line. Spent a little money on software. I found no good solutions. That was 3 years ago.

The closest I came for PC compatible was Garmin Basecamp. You need to have a Garmin GPS plugged in for it to work. Basecamp tries to be an RV LIFE alternative, but the only thing it does well is work off line.

I have a new Garmin 770RV and an old Garmin NUVI and BaseCamp on my PC. I also have the Microsoft stand alone map program. I gave up on all of them and use a couple of paper map books instead. Surprisingly, the paper works fine without an internet connection.

I still run the 770 for my backup camera and for the "last mile" directions for a specific address. I never use it for remote Wisconsin routing.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote