Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2020, 06:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmsc View Post
There is no need for a ground plane at those frequencies. At 600 Mhz the ground plane is less than 5 inches in diameter. At 2.4 Ghz it is about an inch. Almost all antennas today are broadbanded enough to not need a ground plane. I sell a lot of radio at 150 Mhz and they are now manufacturing antennas that don't need a ground plane.
I think you're right, the antenna being used here probably doesn't need it but it's not so much the fact that it "doesn't need a ground plane" it's more that clever antenna design has squeezed enough of a ground plane or something into the internal design. I think that's the case here with the disk shape.

I just re-read the manufacturer's documentation on my Poynting and it says it is "ground plane independent" because it has an internal ground plane which seems different to some other documentation on it I read a while ago which suggested a few db better gain with an external ground plane. I'm going to use a metal plate as part of the mounting so I might as well continue with it.

The traditional general rule of thumb seems to be that the ground plane should be a minimum of a 1/4 wavelength radius. A wavelength at 600 MHz is half a meter so that means a ground plane of about 5 inches radius, or 10 inches diameter. I guess clever design and some compromise can probably get that smaller but it's not a matter of it being "broadband enough". It's still an electrical circuit that needs (and will find) a return path. If there's no ground plane or other side of a dipole or something, then the braid of the coax effectively goes nowhere which is not good.

One of the "problems" with antennas is that they don't have a binary "it works" or "it doesn't work" scenario. Almost anything will "work", it's just a question of how well.
tetranz is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2020, 11:43 PM   #16

I sell these antennas every day so I know how they function. These are primarily used at 150-160 Mhz but their range is 144-866 Mhz. That's what I was talking about it being broadbanded enough. VHF takes a far larger ground plane than 600-2400Mhz but with this antenna no ground plane is necessary. Hanging off the side of a fender, mounted on fiberglass or aluminum makes no difference, they still work fine. A lot of cellular antennas when cellular was still at 700Mhz were glass mounted and they still worked fine because the ground plane was so small at the frequency that even if there wasn't one it still functioned fine. https://www.lairdconnect.com/rf-ante...ntennas#B1442N
bmsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 03:15 AM   #17

I can't pay $300 for an antenna, but which omni antenna do you recommend that works well?
Old 12-27-2020, 08:26 AM   #18
YC1

That router/combiner is amazing. Good things in small packages.

How long are the cables? I am sure I missed it in the specs.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:31 AM   #19

Following. I just bought the Speed Demon bundle from MMH with the Husky antenna, and plan to mount the antenna on a pole, as I am afraid to drill into my Airstream's roof myself. I'm hoping suction cup mounts will be sufficient to attach the pole to the trailer. I'm still trying to figure out the electronics location and wiring--my trailer has a Sirius antenna that I don't use, so that may be sacrificed to create an antenna wiring connection point. Alternatively, I may mount the electronics up front and figure out how to connect the antenna there. Suggestions from anyone who has experience with Airstreams is very welcome!
Jeff_Hosken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:04 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
I mounted my Parsec Husky 7-in-1 on a 12"X12"X6" junction box I got at Home Depot and glued an aluminum sheet to the lid for a ground plane. Mobile Must Have said they checked with the engineers at Parsec who said it wasn't needed, but I figured why not ?
Old 02-18-2021, 03:17 PM   #21

In my case, the aluminum sheet is not so much a ground plane as it is a method to affix the antenna to a textured rubber roof.
The antenna is attached to the aluminum sheet with screws from the bottom & the aluminum sheet is attached to the roof with screws. I am not comfortable with attaching the antenna to the roof with 3M sticky tape. Antenna has no provisions for screw attachments except from the bottom.
lemodrop9344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:34 AM   #22

I should be posting a write up on the installation soon. I need to visit my motorhome in storage again first to take some more photos and do a few tests. The results are good so far.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DFE2861D-4283-4BEC-B83F-D36A81AE245D.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	318557
Old 02-22-2021, 05:41 PM   #23

Here's part Three of my blog series that details the install:

RV Mobile Internet Part Three: The Install
Old 08-03-2021, 04:22 PM   #24

A little late to the party... but did you ever get any "roof level" vs "raised pole level" signal comparisons with your rig?

I would think that in a campground-type urban setting with obstructions all around, the increase in signal from non-raised pole to raised pole would be about as much as standing on grade with your phone in your hand to roof top mounting.

Then there is this: attached.
Not many folks get better signal going lower...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Looking for signal.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	338243  
pago cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, internet, wifi