Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2008, 03:08 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I am sure someone will tell me where to go (!) if it's not.

I am thinking about putting a personal weather station on my coach. Not simply one that tells me the inside/outside temp and such, but more of one that includes windspeed, direction, rain-gauge, humidity, etc. Something along the lines of the LaCrosse WS2315 or similar. Davis instruments, Oregon Scientific, Ambient Weather, etc also make comparable units.

From the specs, looks like they might allow me to leave the outside part up while driving (they're rated at 100+mph) so that shouldn't be a concern. And if it is, I gotta just remember to take it down before travel, but I am concerned about the rain-cup (obviously won't be able to measure rain while driving, tee-hee), and the rest of the external items in any case.

From the little I've found, nobody has put any of 'em on a moveable vehicle. So I'm wondering if any of you have a weather station (& what kind), where/how you installed it, what you think of it, how it's held up, and so on.

Many thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2008, 03:08 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I am sure someone will tell me where to go (!) if it's not.

I am thinking about putting a personal weather station on my coach. Not simply one that tells me the inside/outside temp and such, but more of one that includes windspeed, direction, rain-gauge, humidity, etc. Something along the lines of the LaCrosse WS2315 or similar. Davis instruments, Oregon Scientific, Ambient Weather, etc also make comparable units.

From the specs, looks like they might allow me to leave the outside part up while driving (they're rated at 100+mph) so that shouldn't be a concern. And if it is, I gotta just remember to take it down before travel, but I am concerned about the rain-cup (obviously won't be able to measure rain while driving, tee-hee), and the rest of the external items in any case.

From the little I've found, nobody has put any of 'em on a moveable vehicle. So I'm wondering if any of you have a weather station (& what kind), where/how you installed it, what you think of it, how it's held up, and so on.

Many thanks
Old 05-13-2008, 03:33 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Greetings RustyTools! It is good to have you in here.

I seem to remember seeing such a device mounted a roof of an RV at our IRV2 Rally last year in Branson. I do not believe it was a unit in our group though.

I suggest you contact the manufacturers and ask them.

Once you decide what you will do, post your results and photos too.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:37 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've been thinking of doing that also. Saw one near Quartzsite this winter. They take it down when they move.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:44 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Several of my windsurfing friends have weather stations for their RVs. At least one of them was purchased at Costco. I think that I saw some at a Sam's. It is one of the floater things that they have sometimes. You could also try their online stores.

They are not permanently attached to the motor home but they have them mounted on a PVC pole that bungees to something handy (in one case the side of the motor home and in another to one of the legs of the palapas where we sail). One of them is wireless.

If the anemometer is mounted too close to the roof, you will get screwy readings and that, for us anyway, is our primary interest.

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:20 PM   #6

I have the Costco system, and I attach it to the ladder when stopped. The wind vane and guage is on a flagpole which snaps to the ladder, and the rain gage is in a loop of bungee cord around the top of the ladder where it fastens to the roof. Wires along the side to the Thermometer/hygrometer, held in place via suction cups. This has batteries and communicates with the base unit wirelessly, and NOT INSTANTANIOUSLY. That is, the base station updates every few minutes or so, so the wind speed/direction may not match current conditions.

By no means would this survive moving. A true wireless system might be able to have the rain guage permanently mounted on the roof, but I think that any wind guage which actually worked would be too high to go under most obstructions in motion.

Perhaps you could mount it on the top of one of those crank-up TV antennas?
Old 05-15-2008, 12:17 AM   #7

Rustytools i have the LaCrosse WS2315 and the one problem i have is that i have to keep the temp sensor out of the sun other wise it works great
SJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:17 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have this one Weather Station which is not bad, it has it's good points and bad points. It has the ability to be hooked up either wireless or direct. If direct it requires a standard phone cable (not included) long enough to reach from where ever you mount the temperature sensor to the base unit. The other sensors are connected to the temp sensor via included phone cables. Wireless makes this easier but when using it in wireless mode you need batteries in the temperature sensor and when the batteries run out then you must not only replace them you need to reset the unit.

It's also not instantaneous, so you don't get the data right away, I think it said updates every 45 seconds or so.

As you can see it works with any television set. I had ours set to a different input on our tv so if I wanted to see the weather I could just switch inputs with the remote and walla, weather on the screen.

This setup is strictly for when parked.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:47 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the replies, everyone. The input sure helps.

Which CostCo station(s) are you referring-to, Bruceh & John66? I saw several on their site.

SJim - I've been looking hard at the WS2315. Besides, it's available in Oak, so the boss likes it, too . Are you happy with it, for the most part?

Interesting, Bob. I haven't run across one that hooks to the tv before.

Again, thanks. One of these is a fair sum of $$$, and recommendations make it a lot easier to choose.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:54 AM   #10

the only problem i have with it ios i have to put temp sensor out of the direct sun
SJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:48 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I tried the Walmart Arurite system for a few days and it was 'ok'. It did what it was advertised to do, but I didn't like it for the cheap-looking display panel (too gimmicky and fake-metal looking for me) nor for the fact that it didn't have a computer-interface. All in all however, I'd say it would do the job.

Finally broke down and went with the LaCrosse 2315, mainly for the computer-interface capability (but what's with the SERIAL port these days??) and the afore-mentioned boss-approved wood-grain. And it can be installed as wired or wireless, so that's a nice option. Not sure it feels robust enough to be permanently-mounted to the coach (maybe the occasional storm but not constant 60mph driving) so I'm working on a collapsible pole and ladder-mount system now. I'm realizing I've wanted one of these for years, every time I walk by either it or the outside sensors, brings a smile to my face. I've been interesred in watching the weather changes for as long as I can remember, and now I can do more than just stick my head outside to see what it's doing. Heck, I may even try to get hooked-up as a weather-monitor.

Sorry, but I am digitally-photo challenged as far as sending pics. But the systems can be found easily thru google. I got mine thru WeatherBuffs.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:46 PM   #12

I use the ladder flagpole from Camping World for my wind speed/direction sensors. 2 brackets mount to the ladder, then the pole clips into these 2 brackets with spring loaded pins.

I don't know which unit it is; it was in the store, not the web site. Basically, Wind sensor and wind vane in one unit, rain sensor in another unit, and these units both plug into the external temperature sensor/hygrometer (which needs to be shaded, I mount it under my driver side slide). Cost was about $100, I think.

The temperature/hygrometer can be connected to the base unit either wired or wireless. I have not tried it wired yet, but wireless it does not transmit continuously, so you can see gusts of wind which do not show up on the base station.